Finally found a mod that allows me to enjoy my JVC HA-RX700's
Nov 17, 2010 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Olimoronio

500+ Head-Fier
[size=10pt]So I spilled some sort of glue all over one of the pads. After much effort I came to the conclusion that this stuff just wasn't going to come off. So I started going through my spare pads looking for a pair of replacements. I found a pair that looked like they'd fit and they did... perfectly.[/size]

[size=10pt]Upon closer inspection I noticed that there was a small tear in the pleather of one of the pads. I looked closer and realized that this was the cheapest, thinnest pleather I had ever seen. It probably came off a pair of Sentry's I bought at Big Lots! just to see if they sounded halfway decent (they didn't BTW - they were dreadful). [/size]

[size=10pt]So anyways I figured "What the hell?" and peeled off the pleather of both pads with the greatest of ease. Put the phones on and what do ya know? The boomy bass - almost completely gone! The bass was actually much, MUCH tighter. And it took the edge off the treble but just ever so slightly.[/size]

[size=10pt]I put some spare pleather pads I had on and there it was again - horrible, boomy bass and grating treble. Needless to say I immediately put the cloth/velour pads back on and there they will forever stay.[/size]

[size=10pt]TRY THIS MOD! I bet anything you'll like it. It makes such a remarkably dramatic improvement to the bass that I think it's a crime that they didn't come with velour pads out of the box.[/size]

[size=10pt]Just make sure that there isn't pleather underneath the velour like on some pads. [/size]

[size=10pt]Try it and let me know what you think.[/size]

[size=10pt][/size]

Nov 22, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 6
Will try this someday, never found my RX700's treble to be grating though the bass is indeed boomy, easily remedied with some cotton ball stuffing.

Also I never like the fat pad mod, it made the sound horribly imbalanced imo. 

Nov 22, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Will try this someday, never found my RX700's treble to be grating though the bass is indeed boomy, easily remedied with some cotton ball stuffing.

Also I never like the fat pad mod, it made the sound horribly imbalanced imo. 

This mod doesn't do too much for the treble but man it cleans up the bass nicely. No more muddying up the mids for my RX700's.

BTW I tried wool stuffing (absorbs much more low frequencies than cotton) and it really didn't do that much. This mod is on a whole other level.

Nov 22, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 6
So let me get this straight - you found pads from a random headphone, tore off the pleather, and it still fits on your RX700s?

Do most pleather pads have that soft cotton under them? I once listened to a pair of A700s that had that kind of padding; I was a bit confused, because I thought A700s came with pleather earpads. I guess the owner just tore off the pleather. It was actually quite comfortable.

Nov 22, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
So let me get this straight - you found pads from a random headphone, tore off the pleather, and it still fits on your RX700s?

Do most pleather pads have that soft cotton under them? I once listened to a pair of A700s that had that kind of padding; I was a bit confused, because I thought A700s came with pleather earpads. I guess the owner just tore off the pleather. It was actually quite comfortable.

Basically yeah but the pads fit properly. I probably have about 100 sets of spare pads to choose from (no joke, sadly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back