Final HiFiMan HE-500 Review
Jul 16, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #31 of 40
Both my Decware combo and My Pioneer SX650 worked very well with the HE500. The SX650 is a very nice SS amp for them. I would think all the vintage SS receivers would do well also. In the end I preferred the T1 over them because of synergy with my CSP-2 OTL. The CSP-2 alone did not drive the HE500 while more efficient they still need a powerful amp to get the best out of them IMO.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #32 of 40
I have to agree with Frank I regarding the matching of the H-# series of HiFiMan headphones with vintage receivers.  I first bought a EF5 to go with a HE-5 and felt that there was something missing from that combo, eventhough Fang (the designer) intended them to be mated together.  I got a much fuller sound when pairing the EF5 with the AD2K and D7000 due to their higher sensitivity.  When the Lyr came along and folks noted how much current it took to give more life to the HE-6 and other planars, I got the sense they needed alot of power, whether tube or SS sourced.

After reading Skylab's mention of the Pioneer SX-1250's headphone out, I checked into it further and sprung for one via CraigsList for $480 plus gas and some Ben-Gay afterwards (the thing is a 70 lb beast).  Plugged in my HE-5 and....

Whoooooooossshhhhhh...I was transcendentally teleported into another audio dimension.  
I swear. Phat notes, vocals so righteously on and bass notes with no bloat or excess....but clearly there musically driving a pair of tapping feet belonging to disembodied me.  

Ya gotta give a good vintage receiver a thought or two...there are several vintage receiver threads here on Head-fi for those of you with an open mind and a sense that there is alot of marketing hype going down about how audio designs and technology have rendered the heroic vintage receivers of yore obsolete.

I say check 'em out.

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #33 of 40

Quote:
I have to agree with Frank I regarding the matching of the H-# series of HiFiMan headphones with vintage receivers.  I first bought a EF5 to go with a HE-5 and felt that there was something missing from that combo, eventhough Fang (the designer) intended them to be mated together.  I got a much fuller sound when pairing the EF5 with the AD2K and D7000 due to their higher sensitivity.  When the Lyr came along and folks noted how much current it took to give more life to the HE-6 and other planars, I got the sense they needed alot of power, whether tube or SS sourced.

After reading Skylab's mention of the Pioneer SX-1250's headphone out, I checked into it further and sprung for one via CraigsList for $480 plus gas and some Ben-Gay afterwards (the thing is a 70 lb beast).  Plugged in my HE-5 and....

Whoooooooossshhhhhh...I was transcendentally teleported into another audio dimension.  
I swear. Phat notes, vocals so righteously on and bass notes with no bloat or excess....but clearly there musically driving a pair of tapping feet belonging to disembodied me.  

Ya gotta give a good vintage receiver a thought or two...there are several vintage receiver threads here on Head-fi for those of you with an open mind and a sense that there is alot of marketing hype going down about how audio designs and technology have rendered the heroic vintage receivers of yore obsolete.

I say check 'em out.

That's great... but... what do you do about the aged / deteriorated / oxidized / corroded components.  Unless you're a DIY'er don't you have to consider the cost of maintaining / repairing vintage receivers - which could add up pretty quickly.  When you buy one... you're no doubt taking a pretty big gamble, and betting on the "luck of the draw." 

Aug 6, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #34 of 40

Quote:

That's great... but... what do you do about the aged / deteriorated / oxidized / corroded components.  Unless you're a DIY'er don't you have to consider the cost of maintaining / repairing vintage receivers - which could add up pretty quickly.  When you buy one... you're no doubt taking a pretty big gamble, and betting on the "luck of the draw." 

There are companies that specialize in rebuilding them. For 375.00 you can get a 1250 ovehauled and rebuilt and good for another 30 years

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #35 of 40
Then I must have been lucky enough to find one locally as I had the the chance to check it out and verify I wouldn't need to send it to the restoration guys...some aren't that lucky to be able personally test the unit before buying.  Especially via the less trustworthy sellers (i.e,.E-Bay) and therein lies the rub. 

But even if you don't need a restoration and want that extra specialness, the restoration guys will throw in cap and resistor upgrades....promising added magic to an already overbuilt design.  I have never gone the 'internal upgrade' route so can't vouch for such an approach.  But it can be anathematic to those who prize the presence of "all-orginal" parts in vintage units.

Related to the question of whether to open the unit and check for corrosion, deoxidized parts...I am too chicken to do that, especially since my Pioneer unit has a warning label advising against opening the unit.  Something to do with accidentally touching a capacitor and ending up all black faced. 

Is there a safe way to open a vintage receiver to check out for possibe problems?

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #36 of 40
^ Since you are asking I would advise against you doing it. High voltages are inside and could hurt/kill you so find a tech to work on it.

BTW, you can buy units at goodwill or craigslist, not just eBay. Good luck.

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #37 of 40

Quote:
Then I must have been lucky enough to find one locally as I had the the chance to check it out and verify I wouldn't need to send it to the restoration guys...some aren't that lucky to be able personally test the unit before buying.  Especially via the less trustworthy sellers (i.e,.E-Bay) and therein lies the rub. 

But even if you don't need a restoration and want that extra specialness, the restoration guys will throw in cap and resistor upgrades....promising added magic to an already overbuilt design.  I have never gone the 'internal upgrade' route so can't vouch for such an approach.  But it can be anathematic to those who prize the presence of "all-orginal" parts in vintage units.

Related to the question of whether to open the unit and check for corrosion, deoxidized parts...I am too chicken to do that, especially since my Pioneer unit has a warning label advising against opening the unit.  Something to do with accidentally touching a capacitor and ending up all black faced. 

Is there a safe way to open a vintage receiver to check out for possibe problems?

If it is working, then why open it? Caps do have a life expectancy and many have greatly improved since the "vintage" receivers were made. Most of the time that will enhance the sound, maybe. A general check-up by a qualified person never hurts. But again, if it works and produces what you want, why mess with it? Opening the unit is no big deal. There isn't a wild capacitor going to jump out at you and zap you like a hungry, angry, rattlesnake. :^) Just don't start probing around with your fingers if you don't know what you are doing. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #39 of 40
Well, I did replaced the 2 big blue caps (800 MFD) from my old ARC tube amp (its about 27 years old), no desoldering/soldering. But one of the smaller cap (530 MFD) , I had to desolder/solder to replace. It was a PITA to desolder it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back