Final HiFiMan HE-500 Review
Jul 1, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #17 of 40

Quote:

Did you find that the HE6s improved (meaning, for me, warmer) with break-in?

Thanks again. Would like to see more of your video reviews.

Yes, I absolutely felt like they improved with burn-in.  Acutally, believe it or not, after the first 5 hours, I though they had gotten less good than out of the box, but they really warmed up after about 20.  It's wild how much time they take to settle their sound; a lot longer than dynamic headphones.

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #18 of 40
Orthodynamics out bested all the other industry standard audiophile headphones out there?

I think you may have forgotten a little company out there called Stax =P.

Not a bad job on the review, just remember to keep up the comparisons with other headphones, as I reckon they're the most useful information in a review.

Jul 2, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #19 of 40
In his opinion they did... Stax isnt for everyone actually. People do like bass with there music :wink:

Quote:
Orthodynamics out bested all the other industry standard audiophile headphones out there?

I think you may have forgotten a little company out there called Stax =P.

Not a bad job on the review, just remember to keep up the comparisons with other headphones, as I reckon they're the most useful information in a review.

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:
In his opinion they did... Stax isnt for everyone actually. People do like bass with there music :wink:

Aahahha fair enough =).

I've got the LCD-2 and O2 side by side, they're pretty much neck and neck in terms of bass
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #21 of 40

Quote:

Although, we realize this "inuendo" is a playful exaggeration... everyone should know... that with the right amp (generally a SS amp), many of the Stax phones have superb bass. 

Few phones can match the SR-507's in all aspects of their sound quality, when properly matched to a good SS amp (e.g. SRM-323S, or SRM-717, or SRM-727) - very few!   The staging, imaging, clarity, definition, tone and tenor are almost unrivaled - all with a very balanced sound - nothing overemphasized.  And the bass is textured and detailed, with plenty of slam and drive, without the boom of cheap sub-woofers - so, if you're a hip-hop fan, their subtlety will be wasted on you.  The SR-507's are a true bargain.

And... the O2's I've had, are also great - though, I've never tried them with a good SS amp (e.g. 717, etc.), or the BHSE - so, I can't really opine about the details.  The O2's with the required amplification are not a true bargain - they're a luxury, to be appreciated by a few willing to invest a small fortune on their sound quality. 

Now... can you find some dynamic and ortho phones to rival these in some respects?  Of course.  I'm still very pleased with my RS-1's, AD2000's, HD650's, and even my MD5000's - all with well matched set ups. 

But, few will rival the SR-507's, or O2's in all aspects of their sound quality - with the same balance, accuracy and finese.  You just have to decide, whether you must have that degree of refinement in all aspects of your sound.  Some have an appetite for Bud, while others can only be pleased with Dom Perignon.

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #23 of 40
So spending 4 Grand+ on an O2 Setup sounds viable!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Come on! In all honesty the 507 would be pretty close to a sideways move from the HE500. Moving to the O2 would be more of a luxury imo, not saying it wouldnt sound better to some people. But Cost is a huge factor for most people out there.

Jul 5, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #24 of 40

Quote:
very_evil_smiley.gif

Come on! In all honesty the 507 would be pretty close to a sideways move from the HE500. Moving to the O2 would be more of a luxury imo, not saying it wouldnt sound better to some people. But Cost is a huge factor for most people out there.

Whoops, we were considering a budget? $4K is an exaggeration though. My O2 + DIY KGSS rig will come out to $2800. I've never heard the lower non-Omega stats so I don't know what they're capable of.

I was considering getting a HE-500 to pass the time while my KGSS finishes up. It definitely is a good alternative and much more portable.

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #25 of 40
Eh...?? Only $2800! I thats a good amount actually... I see O2's go for 2 grand in the FS section and a Woo Audio GES is $1450. So id say im pretty close to 4 grand after shipping etc.

We werent considering a budget... I just threw that in there :D hahaha. If i were to try something in the future it would be an O2, but as i said money is the deciding factor.

Quote:

Whoops, we were considering a budget? $4K is an exaggeration though. My O2 + DIY KGSS rig will come out to $2800. I've never heard the lower non-Omega stats so I don't know what they're capable of.

I was considering getting a HE-500 to pass the time while my KGSS finishes up. It definitely is a good alternative and much more portable.

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #27 of 40
I am waiting for the sequel, really. Looking forward. 

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #29 of 40

Quote:
very_evil_smiley.gif

Well... I just received my HE-500's to see how they compare to my other phones and recent SR-507's / SR-007's. 

We'll see... I'm expecting they'll compare very well.  I already know... my AD2000's do... despite the fact that the Stax phones, properly driven, sound great.  It's just that its very difficult to justify the total investment (phones and amp) to realize about the same quality sound as leading dynamics / orthos.

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #30 of 40
Well... I've tried them with my WA6 SEm... and... concluded they don't mate well with that amp, whether Hi Z, or Lo Z, out. 

Just not as smooth as with the Millett MiniMax. 

I'm assuming they need a SS amp with very low impedance and very high current output, much like Denons and Grados - to really smooth out, and fill out. 

I'm also not yet impressed with their balance and clarity - still a bit muddy.  They have not yet distinguished themselves from my other great phones, or the SR-507's.

Though, I'm sure burn in will help some... and... maybe an HE-6 OCC cable. 

Has anyone determined what SS amp mates particularly well with them... other than the Red Wine Audio amp of "Mrarroyo?"  I won't be spending that kind of money to experiment with these, or any phones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back