Final decision
Oct 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

alex223

Head-Fier
Hello headfiers,

I'm in front of a kind of dilemma since i identified two possible headphones to go :
  1. the new Phonak audeo perfect bass
  2. the Panasonic hje 900

Both have advantages and disadvantages but so far i can say : the panasonic have detachable cable, which is great in term of longevity -- the phonak are known to give quite the perfect seal, but did phonak solve the problems with the material of the headphone and cable ?

I request a pice of advice here, because i know it's to best place to do so.

By chance for once price doesn't matter since both are more or less in the same price range.

Oct 18, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 21
I will say to get the HJE 900.  Then order some Meelec M6 tips and use the double flange tip.  This gives a greater seal then the stock or even Phonak tips.  The bass really shines with this tip and the treble is still there as well.  Very happy!!!

Oct 18, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 21
Hi mate, i asked the same thing in a thread last week and i went for the phonak. I wish i didn't send my money to switzerland
biggrin.gif
but i read a lot of reviews and went for them, still waiting for them to be delivered. I also read customer service is great which is an important plus for me
smily_headphones1.gif
. I also was to buy the IE8 but when i read that the seal wasn't that good i left the idea.

I think (and hope) i'm getting them this week so if you want to wait i can give you some opinions on them (built quality and as far as i can also sound quality
smily_headphones1.gif
)

EDIT: i bought the "perfect fit" so i don't know if i can help you

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 21
I can't say much about the long term build quality of the PFEs because I've only had a loaner pair, but in short: if you value clarity across the whole frequency range and belong to the analytical types of listeners, I recommend the PFEs. But if I were you I'd skip the perfect bass ones, go for the original with grey filters and EQ the bass a bit in case you find it too lean. Or buy the perfect bass and get the grey filters seperately. IMO the grey filters (+ optional bass EQ when needed) sound noticably clearer and better than the green ones on flat EQ.

If you like a more punchy and tactile bass even at the cost of some clarity go for the HJE900. Don't get me wrong, their highs are very clear IMO and I wouldn't rule them out for analytical listening. But they're obviously more v-shaped and have slightly less clarity in midrange and bass than the PFEs.

Hope this helps.
smile.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
Thanks for the answer.

Having the Phonaks and the Panas,(CHANTS) GET THE PANA'S,GET THE PANA'S,GET THE PANA'S,

Ive went thru three Phonak's I don't no about the revised set, but It's not worth it in my opinion, the pana's have the BEST build quality there made out of a ROCK I hit them with a hammer the other day they came out fine, now how many phones can do that? As I tell you the good things heres the bad...the cables might be a inch to short for some....,not a problem get extentions, also the stock tips are meodicre almost everyone got other tips, and uh that's about it did I say get the Pana's yet? GET THE PANA'S, GET THE PANA'S, GET THE PANA'S,

At the end of the day it will be up to your ears...

Oct 20, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 21
Hi Confispect, can you please do a confront between phonaks and panas talking about sound quality? Are the phonaks that good that you sold your shures? I'm waiting to get my phonaks delivered
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
Hi Confispect, can you please do a confront between phonaks and panas talking about sound quality? Are the phonaks that good that you sold your shures? I'm waiting to get my phonaks delivered
smily_headphones1.gif

Ayo addsfsds, i'm not sure what you mean by confront, I think you mean compare...?
Anyhow, the Pana's and the Phonaks are polar opposites like night and day the only share one thing in common I'll describe the Phonak and post a link of me describing the Pana's (The link for the Phonaks would be from a year ago so...)

The Phonaks are and always will be a very good purchase, starting with the lows the lows extend extremely far and deep I'm not sure if you could call it Hippo or atrio far but they go very deep. These lows come in the 'punchy tight' form with acceptable body but bassheads definitely will want to EQ or use the black, or green filters (Green's separate) These do not produce dynamic bass, which would offer much more body, a sense of naturalness and reverb...pana's, like i said you might find it lacking. Do not get me wrong these put out 'accurate' bass, very nice bass quality is produced, but at far as 'massive' bass quantities you will not get. Moving on to the mids, everyone describes mids different I would say these are smooth, not recessed and not pronounced, but in line with the rest of the signature. The mids provide a almost unsurpassed detail with plenty of sparkle, these have a HINT of warmth but not enough to classify as as warm, or lush.(PANAS)

Very smooth and almost liquid guitars sound great but no where good and natural as the Pana's which offer more 'body' reverb and presence, you'll hear people taking a breath before put there lips to a sax on the Phonaks but you'll swear you were inside there throat with the Pana's break taking is the title I'd give to the Pana's but both have there own 'wow' factor, so when your 'wow'ed' imagine that times 4 with the Pana's. The Pana's mids is what I would call 'lush. If the mids or the highs is to much and more bass is need the black filters can be used at the cost of a slightly smaller soundstage. Moving on to the highs never are they sibilant I repeat to my ears, they are devoid or harshness but seem to go endlessly and forever. The highs have nice sparkle, sound crisp but never sound forward, but beg to be noticed. Soundstage is above average,just another thing that is not up to par with the Pana's greatness. Instrument separation is equal to the Pana's or pass it they both separate good but the Pana's SEEMS better because every sound coming from it is more felt, more thick, more lush the timbre is spot on something the Phonak's don't have the grace of having, also the naturalness is refreshing coming from the Phonak's more pick-a-part signature. I repeat when you finally hear the Phonaks, and are delighted by their details, and micro detail the Pana's do this 4 times maybe times natural a talk show host feels like she's right there. Lets be clear. ultra clear the Phonaks offer what most phones dont....clarity but the Pana's take this 4 steps farther by making that person sound....real you hear her breath, the intake her sigh......wow is all to be said.

So there you have it, I would fully suggest the Pana's over the Phonak's it's a step-up Phonaks don't get you into the music like the Pana's. Upon hearing them they will seem great, highly detailed with clarity that will astound you.
The pana's........read the review http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476883/panasonic-czs-hje900-appreciation-thread-and-pending-review/435

This is what I would say, the Phonaks are on the way listen to them when they get there, then buy the pana's later, there only 89.99 what's to lose. Make sure you remember (I got this feeling your going to love the Phonaks and forget) These have two different sound signature's get the phonaks you'll experience a phone that dissects everything you throw at it, get the Pana's and get a phone that allows you to lean back and become surrounding by details coming from left right everywhere! it's more natural the Pana's make you feel you went to a jazz club the Phonaks a studio with the doors open.....I prefer the Pana's but am not selling the Phonaks so.....your choice.

Pana:pro

Naturalness

Detail

Soundstage

Timbre

Dynamic feeling of presenting details in a armature way (MUSICIAL!!)

Details hold hands with reverb, astounding instrument serperation, and a rubberband snap effect.

Slightly wide soundstage

Ability to pinpoint anything!

No overbearing bass to trample the mids, balance at it's finest, (Accurate, deep, natural, body, reverb)

BUILD QUALITY (BUILT OUT OF RoCk, basiclly)

Pana:cons

Might require you to sit down to have a talk with it about which tips it likes best.

Might require some to Eq to for those in the 'basshead' category

Phonak:pro

Clarity

Detail

Able to pick stuff apart

Isolation

Accurate Bass (low quantity) (Good quality)

Never land highs without harshness

Good instrument separation

Above average sound stage

Pin point cues

Phonak: Cons

Bass might not be good enough for some

BUILD QUALITY (CORDS AS WELL AS HOUSING)

To describe the Pana's to the core I leave you with this, (THIS WILL BE REPEATED) 

The Phonaks play sound waves, the Pana's play music.

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 21
Oh man i really shouldn't have read your thoughts about pana's, now you made me want them more and more
biggrin.gif
, and consider that i will get the phonaks tomorrow
biggrin.gif

Where can i get the Pana's cheap? Because if you didn't let the phonaks go that means that the 2 are worth having
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW thanks so much for you detailed opinions, i was so entertained reading them! And yes, i mean compare, it was late and i was falling asleep while typing
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
Oh man i really shouldn't have read your thoughts about pana's, now you made me want them more and more
biggrin.gif
, and consider that i will get the phonaks tomorrow
biggrin.gif

Where can i get the Pana's cheap? Because if you didn't let the phonaks go that means that the 2 are worth having
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW thanks so much for you detailed opinions, i was so entertained reading them! And yes, i mean compare, it was late and i was falling asleep while typing
biggrin.gif

10 dollars cheaper then what I brought them for, im p'd!

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HJE900-K-Zirconia-Earbud-Headphones/dp/B002R1MDQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1287764789&sr=8-1

Oct 22, 2010 at 12:46 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Order sent
biggrin.gif
Problems is that i will get them only in december because i got them shipped to a friend that is currently living in NYC and he will be back only for xmas
frown.gif

Darn, well until then...dream also to prepare you for your arrival thats a couple months away
popcorn.gif
 just some words of advice. Stock tips might not be for you there are people  that like them and some that don't. Phonaks tips/Sony hybrids period head over to the Pana appreciation thread to see what everyone likes, me I like stock and sony and that's that. If you do try/use the stocks make sure you use the large and make sure you post impress in the appreciation thread where all great impression posting goes down
wink.gif

Enjoy.

Oct 24, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #15 of 21
So you're suggesting me to buy sony hybrids for my pfe? Btw i received them today and the clarity and soundstage with the grey filters amazes me! These may be my first high quality IEM as mi first pair was the KOSS sparkplug and then i bought the Crossroads Mylarone XB that after 3 years are still serving well but are blown away by the PFE, can't wait to get the panny
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back