FiiO's new Q1 portable DAC-amp: Let's drink to "Happy Listening"!
Dec 2, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #272 of 903
The M70x is quite different from the M50x, and the R70x is even more so because it's 470 ohms and open. You might have confused the R70x with the M70x.

I think he is. Has anyone used an hd600 or hd650 with the q1? Just looking to see if it can drive my r70x.

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #274 of 903
I use my HD 650 all the time with my HP laptop no problem driving. Set on high gain, no bass and computer volume at @50%.

Not sure I am following what you are meaning. Are you saying on high gain your HD600s have no bass when the volume dial is 50%?

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #278 of 903
I don't know how you got it to work with your Note 4.. I have a Note 4 running Android 5.1.1 and I connect my Fiio Q1 to it using a Cable Matters OTG cable and the audio still goes out through the phone speaker. I tried HibyMusic too with the same results, I got the DAC to work though, after restarting my phone 2 times and keep plugging the otg cable in and out multiple times. Why is it acting like this, I don't want it to be so complicated to pair the Fiio with my phone. When I got it to work it sounded great and worked hours, until I got a call and had to unplug the DAC. When a call came in whilst music was playing there was a very loud screech, I thought my phone blew my DAC but it still works great (tested on computer). Plugged it back into my Note 4, same issue, audio out through speaker.. I'm very disappointed, not with the Fiio, it's great and I did need it for my laptop, but I want to use it with my phone too and I don't want this hassle. *cries* I blame Android

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #279 of 903
I don't know how you got it to work with your Note 4.. I have a Note 4 running Android 5.1.1 and I connect my Fiio Q1 to it using a Cable Matters OTG cable and the audio still goes out through the phone speaker. I tried HibyMusic too with the same results, I got the DAC to work though, after restarting my phone 2 times and keep plugging the otg cable in and out multiple times. Why is it acting like this, I don't want it to be so complicated to pair the Fiio with my phone. When I got it to work it sounded great and worked hours, until I got a call and had to unplug the DAC. When a call came in whilst music was playing there was a very loud screech, I thought my phone blew my DAC but it still works great (tested on computer). Plugged it back into my Note 4, same issue, audio out through speaker.. I'm very disappointed, not with the Fiio, it's great and I did need it for my laptop, but I want to use it with my phone too and I don't want this hassle. *cries* I blame Android
[/quote

I'm not sure who you're responding to?

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #280 of 903
I'm new to the head-fi world, but the Q1 has been a fun addition. I'm interested in hearing what good closed-back over-ear headphones will reveal.

Does anyone have suggestions for pairing a Q1 with a set if over-ear headphones? What impedence range do you think I should be looking at, or what is the limitation? After initial research, I'm planning to try the following: PSB M4U 1, Grado 225e or 325e, Oppo PM-3, and V-moda m100. But reviews are mixed. I'd be ecstatic to find some clean, tight, punchy bass. But wouldn't we all?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or guidance.

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #281 of 903
I'm new to the head-fi world, but the Q1 has been a fun addition. I'm interested in hearing what good closed-back over-ear headphones will reveal.

Does anyone have suggestions for pairing a Q1 with a set if over-ear headphones? What impedence range do you think I should be looking at, or what is the limitation? After initial research, I'm planning to try the following: PSB M4U 1, Grado 225e or 325e, Oppo PM-3, and V-moda m100. But reviews are mixed. I'd be ecstatic to find some clean, tight, punchy bass. But wouldn't we all?

I can only tell you what I feel with the Oppo PM-3 (have em on loan at the moment, if you wanna try them there is a handy loaner program @Jiffy Squid is running) the Oppo PM-3 to me is rather neutral with a colder low end and not a ton of sparkle on the top. Q1 added a proper punchy bass vs running on my pc straight. Didn't really help warm it up sadly. You may wanna consider the Hifiman HE-400 though. Does wonders for them :)

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #282 of 903
  Can only tell you what I feel with the Oppo PM-3 (have em on loan at the moment, if you wanna try them there is a handy loaner program @Jiffy Squid is running) the Oppo PM-3 to me is rather neutral with a colder low end and not a ton of sparkle on the top. Q1 added a proper punchy bass vs running on my pc straight. Didn't really help warm it up sadly. You may wanna consider the Hifiman HE-400 though. Does wonders for them :)

Great info, thank you!  Do you believe that the Q1 has enough to give you a good representation of the PM-3?  They're only 26 Ohm, so it seem like they wouldn't need much power.  But I'm sure that there's more to it, than what I understand.  The PM-3 loaner program sounds like a great opportunity to try them out.

As for the HE-400, it was on my shortlist, and I'm still tempted by them.  At some point, I talked myself into thinking that I wanted a closed back headphone - so that I could keep my listening to myself.  Although, I'd compromise privacy for the sound I'm looking for.  Thanks for the recommendation - seems like there are a lot of HE-400 fans out there.

Erick

Dec 5, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #283 of 903

I really like my Nad hp50. Check out the reviews and thread for that guy. It's on innerfidelity wall of fame too so he has a review for it if you want to read it.

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #284 of 903
  Great info, thank you!  Do you believe that the Q1 has enough to give you a good representation of the PM-3?  They're only 26 Ohm, so it seem like they wouldn't need much power.  But I'm sure that there's more to it, than what I understand.  The PM-3 loaner program sounds like a great opportunity to try them out.

As for the HE-400, it was on my shortlist, and I'm still tempted by them.  At some point, I talked myself into thinking that I wanted a closed back headphone - so that I could keep my listening to myself.  Although, I'd compromise privacy for the sound I'm looking for.  Thanks for the recommendation - seems like there are a lot of HE-400 fans out there.

Erick

With most planars, they are easy enough to drive. But they always sound better when properly powered. Thats what I feel and what I gather most people agree with when it comes to planar magnetics. HE 400 is definitely not a private headphone, but they are a lot of fun to own and I love the sound signature. the headband on my original he-400 wasn't real good, but I opened up the band and overstuffed it. Don't recommend this unless you know how to work with leather, but it helped a ton!

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #285 of 903

Well, the grados are actually open back... And when I tried SR125e, it had an ugly resonance dip in mid-high frequencies. After investigating the graphs, I discovered that the higher tier models have it too, although not so apparent. So choose carefully.
And by the way, I don't need bass. I need a clean, analytic sound where the bass doesn't hide any details or draw attention from them :) So saying that everyone wants a punchy bass is incorrect...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back