FiiO's new Q1 portable DAC-amp: Let's drink to "Happy Listening"!
May 23, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #841 of 903
Does the Fiio Q1 work as a DAC with the Samsung Galaxy S3? Works just fine on my PC - the audio quality is noticeably improved. Where as on my S3, even when I connect it to the Q1 via a micro to micro usb OTG cable the sound quality isn't noticeably improved like it is on my PC. It plays via the OTG cable - but I am unsure if the DAC is working like it should because like I said, the Q1 through my PC sounds much better through my phone. I only listen to Spotify on my phone for reasons.

May 24, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #842 of 903
Does the Fiio Q1 work as a DAC with the Samsung Galaxy S3? Works just fine on my PC - the audio quality is noticeably improved. Where as on my S3, even when I connect it to the Q1 via a micro to micro usb OTG cable the sound quality isn't noticeably improved like it is on my PC. It plays via the OTG cable - but I am unsure if the DAC is working like it should because like I said, the Q1 through my PC sounds much better through my phone. I only listen to Spotify on my phone for reasons.

Dear friend,

We have not advertised the DAC function for smartphones actively, however as long as the smartphone is capable of USB Audio output, the Q1 should theoretically work with it. You may try turning off USB charging on the Q1 and try this APPs(USB Audio Player Pro, Hiby Music) to see whether it helps.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 8, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #843 of 903
I use the Q1 with X1 for my portable rig. With bass boost on, The Q1 is like a compliment to the x1 in term of sq. It has a black background and better separation and some tracks is definitely livelier. I bought x5II yesterday and to my ear the x5ii is not up to x1+q1 combo. x5ii is more intimate, lower driving power (65~75/120 w/ high gain compare to q1's at vol knob at step 3) when used with the ath msr7. Though I EQed the lower freq. on x5 to compensate for the lack of bass on msr7, q1 with bass boost on is still more deep and natural, the punches are amazing, both tight and powerful. Wonder if I should hook the q1 to the x5ii too...
rolleyes.gif

HI i am planning to buy a Fiio q1. Fiio q1 dac section states that it can play music upto 24/96. But if i use fiio Q1(as an amp only) with Fiio x1 then will the x1+q1 combo play 24/192 files on my x1 ?

Jun 8, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #844 of 903
HI i am planning to buy a Fiio q1. Fiio q1 dac section states that it can play music upto 24/96. But if i use fiio Q1(as an amp only) with Fiio x1 then will the x1+q1 combo play 24/192 files on my x1 ?
The bit rate and sampling rat only apply to a digital signal. Once it's past the DAC the signal is in the analog realm. At that stage bit rate and sampling rate don't apply. So your question can't be answered as the Q1 simply amplifies whatever analog signal is supplied by the X1.

Jun 12, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #845 of 903
Hi Guys,

I am planning to get Q1 and since it is my first amp/dac I have a bunch of questions and would
appreciate it if you guys can answer them:

1. I already have X1 and want to use Q1 as amplifier. This is how I got an impression it should be done; please confirm if it is correct
way or correct me if I am wrong:

- in X1 options I change the output from headphones to line out
- connect the two devices together via X1's headphone out and Q1's aux/line out port using the short 3,5mm - 3,5mm IC cable provided in the box

2. Please explain how to use Q1 amp side only with an android phone since those do not have line out?
Do I just connect using X1's in port and phones headphone out with IC cable? Is that double amping or is there a more effective way to do it?

3. How to use Q1 to amplify sony's A15 signal - if I use its headphone out only would it mean I am not bypassing sonys amp but double amping?
Is there a sony propriety cable that I can use to amp it correctly? If yes, kindly advise what it is and how do i go connecting A15 and Q1 in order to amplify its signal only, not bypass its dac cos reckon Q1's dac does not sound better?

4. This is the most complicated and confusing one I guess. How do I use Q1 as a dac with android phone? What is the cable I need for it?
I know it is called OTG cable but those have micro USB to USB ends and I guess can be used to connect USB sticks
or external memory drives to the phone? Does Q1 have mini or micro USB port, in which case I would probably need micro to micro OTG and those do not seem to be common cables - can I use regular OTG cable (micro to USB) and then have a bridge with a normal USB cable (USB to micro) that usually come with phones?

5. Last but not least, what should be the volume level of the source device when amped? I have heard people say full blast, some say 50 percent - what is correct?

Sorry guys, I know that is many questions but I am a noob regarding amps/dacs, have not owned any before. Thanks a bunch for all your input and help.

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #846 of 903
Hi Guys,

I am planning to get Q1 and since it is my first amp/dac I have a bunch of questions and would
appreciate it if you guys can answer them:

1. I already have X1 and want to use Q1 as amplifier. This is how I got an impression it should be done; please confirm if it is correct
way or correct me if I am wrong:

- in X1 options I change the output from headphones to line out
- connect the two devices together via X1's headphone out and Q1's aux/line out port using the short 3,5mm - 3,5mm IC cable provided in the box

You can connect the lineout port of the X1 and the aux of the Q1 via a short 3.5 to 3.5 audio cable which will come with the Q1 as well.

2. Please explain how to use Q1 amp side only with an android phone since those do not have line out?
Do I just connect using X1's in port and phones headphone out with IC cable? Is that double amping or is there a more effective way to do it?

3. How to use Q1 to amplify sony's A15 signal - if I use its headphone out only would it mean I am not bypassing sonys amp but double amping?
Is there a sony propriety cable that I can use to amp it correctly? If yes, kindly advise what it is and how do i go connecting A15 and Q1 in order to amplify its signal only, not bypass its dac cos reckon Q1's dac does not sound better?

4. This is the most complicated and confusing one I guess. How do I use Q1 as a dac with android phone? What is the cable I need for it?
I know it is called OTG cable but those have micro USB to USB ends and I guess can be used to connect USB sticks
or external memory drives to the phone? Does Q1 have mini or micro USB port, in which case I would probably need micro to micro OTG and those do not seem to be common cables - can I use regular OTG cable (micro to USB) and then have a bridge with a normal USB cable (USB to micro) that usually come with phones?

Can the Q1 work as a DAC for smartphones: http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40754&extra=

5. Last but not least, what should be the volume level of the source device when amped? I have heard people say full blast, some say 50 percent - what is correct?

Sorry guys, I know that is many questions but I am a noob regarding amps/dacs, have not owned any before. Thanks a bunch for all your input and help.

Dear friend,

I have replied some of your questions. It is recommended to have a try in the local store first.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 14, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #847 of 903
Jun 16, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #848 of 903
Jul 13, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #849 of 903
Hi, i have Akg K240 and when i use with Q1 the volume gets lower than in my jvc ha-s400. Do you think i will need a new amp/dac to get louder volume with k240 ? I am thinking to get Smsl m3, what you suggest ?

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #850 of 903
man, the 240 is one of the hardest headphone I know existed, esp the vintage one! Stand side by side with the infamous HE6.
I recommend getting a Class A tube amp (hybrid is fine) for pure driving power for cheap.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #851 of 903
man, the 240 is one of the hardest headphone I know existed, esp the vintage one! Stand side by side with the infamous HE6.
I recommend getting a Class A tube amp (hybrid is fine) for pure driving power for cheap.
Thanks for the answer ! My k240 is the 55ohm version that's why I find it strange the fiio Q1 handle the k240 with low volume compared with jvc ha-s400.
Can you recommend a brand and model of Class A tube amp ?

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #852 of 903
A good one to start with for a Hybrid is like the BravoAudio amps, V2 if you don't mind the DIY look, i have the Ocean which look more finished.
Or a Little Dot amp is also good.

Keep in mind only go this way if you don't mind the heat, as they can go pretty warm, hot even on its heatsink.

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #853 of 903
A good one to start with for a Hybrid is like the BravoAudio amps, V2 if you don't mind the DIY look, i have the Ocean which look more finished.
Or a Little Dot amp is also good.

Keep in mind only go this way if you don't mind the heat, as they can go pretty warm, hot even on its heatsink.
what do you say about Xduoo TA-01, its a good brand ? I will be able to extract all power from the Akg K240 MKII ?

Jul 14, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #854 of 903
I just purchased a Q1 and I wish the bass switch's frequency cutoff was lower
As it is, it covers too wide a range of frequencies, almost reaching up to the lower mids, making the sound feel kind of bloated when it is turned on, although it seems to coincide with the frequencies of what would normally be 'bass' instruments in musical compositions , irrespective of the genre
Ideally the bass is kept tight and punchy and rumbly

Jul 16, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #855 of 903
The bass switch on the Q1 is better for movie watching / gaming rather than pure music listening, agree with you that some times it does feel like it muddles up th e frequency a bit, but for other things than music, the quantity and width of frequency is perfect IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back