FiiO's New 6 Balanced Armature IEMs FA7S Is Officially Released! Firing on all frequencies, 6 Knowles BA drivers
Nov 9, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #16 of 31
I have had the FA7S on the burn since getting them. Was finally able to get a good listen. So these are highly detailed IEMs leaning a bit more toward a neutral signature.

These are a departure from the bassy IEMs you all know from Fiios dynamics and apparently their previous FA7 earphones. I have another all BA IEM these remind me a bit of. Empire Ears Zeus but with better treble. Which is crazy. So these are not for bass fans or folks that want dynamic bass. I would say the bass end is accurate but again is very moderate in both impact and extension there. It is BA bass which is bass you can hear but not feel if you know what I mean. The FA7s are all about the mids and trebles. Its detail retrieval is reference like. It resolves to a better degree than most IEMs in the price range. Its tonal character leans a bit on the cool neutral side of tonality due to the ample treble and mids presentation but they are not bright which shows excellent tonal control for the tuning..

Thier imaging is phenomenal. It seems Fiio has tuned these to enhance detail and imaging and so that is what their strengths are. You can say these are more analytical and neutral in how they present their sound and in doing so. Folks that love acoustic music and vocals will love these. These are clearly not made for bass genres so know this before getting a set. Bass end is again moderate in emphasis and does seem to lack physicality and a deep rumble but if that was what you were looking for. The balancing of the 3 zones is superb but not as colored as their dynamic line up. The FA7S is about as detailed as your going to get for the given price point.

I tested them with my passive isolation test. These isolate better than most all metal builds so passive isolation is excellent and is similar to an all resin build. I was very surprised just how much ambient sound is blocked out. Probably due to all the metal thats inside and outside the housing.

Nov 9, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #17 of 31
I have had the FA7S on the burn since getting them. Was finally able to get a good listen. So these are highly detailed IEMs leaning a bit more toward a neutral signature.

These are a departure from the bassy IEMs you all know from Fiios dynamics and apparently their previous FA7 earphones. I have another all BA IEM these remind me a bit of. Empire Ears Zeus but with better treble. Which is crazy. So these are not for bass fans or folks that want dynamic bass. I would say the bass end is accurate but again is very moderate in both impact and extension there. It is BA bass which is bass you can hear but not feel if you know what I mean. The FA7s are all about the mids and trebles. Its detail retrieval is reference like. It resolves to a better degree than most IEMs in the price range. Its tonal character leans a bit on the cool neutral side of tonality due to the ample treble and mids presentation but they are not bright which shows excellent tonal control for the tuning..

Thier imaging is phenomenal. It seems Fiio has tuned these to enhance detail and imaging and so that is what their strengths are. You can say these are more analytical and neutral in how they present their sound and in doing so. Folks that love acoustic music and vocals will love these. These are clearly not made for bass genres so know this before getting a set. Bass end is again moderate in emphasis and does seem to lack physicality and a deep rumble but if that was what you were looking for. The balancing of the 3 zones is superb but not as colored as their dynamic line up. The FA7S is about as detailed as your going to get for the given price point.

I tested them with my passive isolation test. These isolate better than most all metal builds so passive isolation is excellent and is similar to an all resin build. I was very surprised just how much ambient sound is blocked out. Probably due to all the metal thats inside and outside the housing.
Is it as laid back as the FA9? Or does it follow the FiiO trend that the flagships of the different series are always the more laid back ones?

drftr

Nov 9, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #18 of 31
Never heard the FA9 so I have no idea how they would compare to them. I don't feel they are too laid back though. It projects nicely, especially for vocals.

Nov 16, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #20 of 31
So the more I am getting to know the FA7S the more I am appreciating the reference level of detail these provide. Folks that love them some vocals would love these things. I found out the mids BAs were specialized by Fiio to bring out the best details for the mids. Very good balancing and the resolve ability of these things are excellent. SQ compared to the 3 other 6BAs sets I own is very comparable. TSMR-6 and DUNU SA6. Much lesser extent the NiceHCK HK6

But the FA7S is almost half the price of the TSMR-6 and SA6. Fiio bringing some heat this year.

Nov 16, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #21 of 31
So the more I am getting to know the FA7S the more I am appreciating the reference level of detail these provide. Folks that love them some vocals would love these things. I found out the mids BAs were specialized by Fiio to bring out the best details for the mids. Very good balancing and the resolve ability of these things are excellent. SQ compared to the 3 other 6BAs sets I own is very comparable. TSMR-6 and DUNU SA6. Much lesser extent the NiceHCK HK6

But the FA7S is almost half the price of the TSMR-6 and SA6. Fiio bringing some heat this year.
The top of the line FA9 was $350 days ago. Not sure if that's still the case but it's quote the drop for a flagship IEM.

drftr

Nov 16, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #22 of 31
These will be the IEMS that will be under the radar with the new announcement for the FH9. But the FA7S has its own sound. Never heard the older FA7 but the FA7S is right up there with the best of Fiio earphones this year. FA7S has been quite the surprise for me.

Looked up FA9. Is currently $499 on Amazon.

Nov 16, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #23 of 31
These will be the IEMS that will be under the radar with the new announcement for the FH9. But the FA7S has its own sound. Never heard the older FA7 but the FA7S is right up there with the best of Fiio earphones this year. FA7S has been quite the surprise for me.

The deal was for singles day on FiiO's Aliexpress shop. If you Google it you still find the $350 in the search results, but if you click the link you see it's back to normal:

https://www.google.com/search?q=aliexpress+fiio+shop+fa9&pws=0&gl=us&gws_rd=cr

Good to check for Black Friday though...

drftr

Nov 16, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #24 of 31
I found out the Bass BAs and the treble BAs are Knowles BAs used in their higher end FA9 which cost more than the BAs used on their previous FA7. The mids BAs customized according to Fiio specs I would imagine are from Bellsing. Whatever mids BAs they are using sounds natural and highly refined.

I am currently writing my review for the FA7S and the longer I hear these things the better and better they are revealing themselves. Its tonal character is spot on and it has a surprising refined treble end as well. Never expected this one to be more neutral in sound character but it sounds fantastic even though I just got done with my review of the FD7. These are a complete surprise. Never expected Fiio to bring out such a competent all BA offering so quick.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #25 of 31
The FA9 is and was an excellent all-BA In-Ear but it was lacking behind the IER-M7 which is similar priced.

Especially in realism. It's very detailed but nothing sounds really realistic because it lacks the impact.

From your description, it seems like the FA7s is going to an similar direction which I personally don't like.

When someone plays an piano, you can feel the hammer hitting the string and the vibration of them.

The IER-M7 carries that feel that makes instruments sound so real, the FA9 only carries the sound.

Nov 17, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #26 of 31
The FA9 is and was an excellent all-BA In-Ear but it was lacking behind the IER-M7 which is similar priced.

Especially in realism. It's very detailed but nothing sounds really realistic because it lacks the impact.

From your description, it seems like the FA7s is going to an similar direction which I personally don't like.

When someone plays an piano, you can feel the hammer hitting the string and the vibration of them.

The IER-M7 carries that feel that makes instruments sound so real, the FA9 only carries the sound.
Excellent description and interesting at the same time as they both use BA-only setups. But yeah, the more expensive Sony models have much better note weight - even a bit too much for my personal liking.

drftr

Nov 18, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #27 of 31
With silicone tips, i also thought "oh wow, that is a bit too much", especially with BiSH. But luckily i discovered that Memory Foam are an big improvement that make it sound more balanced without loosing its character. Its a pure improvement.

But it doesn't mean i don't like the FA9, the opposite, its an excellent earphone. Its more like a different taste than different quality. Its a more analytic sound but without the razor sharp highs that kill your eardrum.

Nov 18, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #28 of 31

Just saw a FiiO announcement that the FA9 will be $350 in their Amazon shop until Nov 30th.

drftr

Nov 21, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #30 of 31
DSC09266.JPG

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-fa7s.25563/reviews

My take on the FA7S. a sleeper Fiio if there ever was one. These are way better than you would imagine. Closest thing to a neutral Fiio made earphone. One of the better balanced tunings I can think of for an all BA design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back