FiiO X7 preview world tour--tour impressions rolling in
Oct 27, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #332 of 732
  IEM module.

A Balanced Module, shipped in addition to the "standard" module will be welcome to test it also with Big full size headphones...

Oct 27, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #333 of 732
I think I've got everybody on the tour... :eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 27, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #334 of 732
I think I've got everybody on the tour...
eek.gif

Dat tab browsing yo! Looks like someone leveled up their multi-tasking skill!

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #338 of 732
I just opened the box and started loading some music.

Some first preliminary comments: the player fits well in hand size wise. It is quite heavy, almost as heavy as the AK240SS, heavier than the AK240. It must be quite packed in there. I think the finish is good, not exactly at AK level but totally good for its price. If I want to be picky, I would have preferred a different color for the metal, it could feel more premium. Also the screen is good, but I am not sure why it sticks out from the casing.

Startup is very fast and scan is very fast too, the player scanned a 64g in maybe 20-30 seconds.

The UI seems very reactive, will need to use more to confirm. I just tried one track to confirm it worked, sound is a priori very good with my SE5 ultimate, but that was just one track.

Here are some pics of the unpacking:

Hey! We'll be able to compare thoughts directly since we're using the same player as comparisons.

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #339 of 732
Hey! We'll be able to compare thoughts directly since we're using the same player as comparisons.

I really want to know your first, initial, instant, thoughts compared to the AK240SS. Quick!

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #340 of 732

I really want to know your first, initial, instant, thoughts compared to the AK240SS. Quick!

My bad, I'm comparing to the AK240 (not SS)

I've heard that there were sound difference but I'm kind of sceptical that there's differences between the SS version and original.

Either way it should be fairly close and I will compare to the 240 for sure.

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #341 of 732

I've heard that there were sound difference but I'm kind of sceptical that there's differences between the SS version and original.

Looked all shiny and SS like!

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #342 of 732

Looked all shiny and SS like!

Oh those pictures that were in my post before were quoted!

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #344 of 732
Been listening for a few hours - impressive unit.  Best part is the combo of SQ and also the UI.  No doubt there will be a lot of quirks to discover - but for now I'm just loving moving around Fiio's default app.

Have also been moving a bit between the X7 and L&P's L5 Pro.

Going to take quite a few days to get to the bottom of the relative performance of both.  Quite a few thoroughly enjoyable days I think. 

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #345 of 732
OK so day 2, this is what I think

GOOD
  1. SQ - my goodness...my main DAP is X5 gen 1, and the difference in SQ is just massive, as I stated before, without going into titty bitty technical details, what jumped out to me straight away was X7's ability to control and tame sibilance, without sacrificing details - few hours after unpacking, I went straight to A/B session with X5, and a few songs which are sibilant on my X5, came out perfect on X7 (with Dunu 2000J). Then after that I grabbed my Rooth LSX5, and X7 has indeed given my LSX5 a new purpose in life, all the sibilance, gone...poof
  2. FLAC streaming - Tidal sounds much, much better on this, compared to my G3, MBAir/Dragonfly, and PC/Aune T1
  3. Build quality - solid, and oozes class

NEUTRAL
  1. Locked down Android - it was problem at the start, but I think we all got around the problem by downloading individual .apk's instead of from Google Play Store - obviously if the 'export' or 'overseas market' version comes with Play Store preinstalled, that would be perfect
  2. Build quality - as good as it is, due to the weight and brushed allloy, I feel that it is a bit slippery and could easily fall out of your grip, I think (just like the X5), rubber shell is a must here.

NOT SO GOOD
  1. Battery - If no one else is having this problem, that means my unit's battery is a dud - on standby without anything playing, and apps all closed, bluetooth off (only wifi is on, and the blue light), the battery level went from 100% to about 30% in 7 hours, which is fair enough according to the 9 hours battery life Fiio quoted, but this is without anything playing, just on standby, I double and triple checked, no apps are opened, BT off, only wifi is on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back