FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 26, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #1,261 of 6,207

Starting to make products musical?

Some of us are old enough to remember back 40 years ago to the heyday of record decks by Linn, Roksan, Pink Triangle etc (in fact still own them), and in my opinion digital technology is still trying to emulate that musicality. It's not something new :)

But its actualy reaching the point where Digital is becoming more musical, its reached a level of maturity in the last couple of years where as until very recently I can understand the need to go back to the record player and I can still understand that. I have DSD recordings of Vinyl that sound more enjoyable there is something about the musical signature of vinyl that is just pleasing to the ears. I Would say I enjoy the musical range more than that found in most digital recordings with one exception. The top end seems to have a lot more bite/precision and less distortion with digital to my ears.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #1,262 of 6,207
Mid forward is more like a Sony signature :D
Hmmm yeah, I tried a Sony A17 once, it was a terrible sounding player IMO it lacked anything and everything, very boring! I don't mind clean and transparent and natural but that player was dull lifeless etc
its one of the cheaper players of the range though. Everyone is saying that this Fiio X7II is very balanced throughout the audio spectrum which is nice to hear.

Its funny really.. I listen to a lot of early 70s rare music so most of what Im listening to was not recorded in the most high tech recording studios but the rawness of the recordings are great!
I suppose I should get some modern electronica to really test the players.

Aug 26, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #1,263 of 6,207
Hmmm yeah, I tried a Sony A17 once, it was a terrible sounding player IMO it lacked anything and everything, very boring! I don't mind clean and transparent and natural but that player was dull lifeless etc
its one of the cheaper players of the range though. Everyone is saying that this Fiio X7II is very balanced throughout the audio spectrum which is nice to hear.

Its funny really.. I listen to a lot of early 70s rare music so most of what Im listening to was not recorded in the most high tech recording studios but the rawness of the recordings are great!
I suppose I should get some modern electronica to really test the players.

A17 is nothing, try Wm1A or Wm1Z. You are talking about a Fiio flagship and a lowest tier from Sony ^_^, give them some equalities

Aug 26, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #1,265 of 6,207
Hi

I want to upgrade my ipod touch 4g only I can choose between ibasso dx200 and fiio x7 ii. Maybe someone has both heard and can give me a tip.

Thought there are already a few comparisons between DX200 and X7II already in the past threads?

Some like DX200, while some prefer X7II.

In this X7II thread, there are probably more people like me who prefer the X7II (I audition both and found X7II better suit my music preference).

In the DX200 thread, there are probably more who will sings praises for DX200 more than X7II.

They are both using top ESS9028Pro chip, with DX200 deploying 2 of them (also selling at higher price than X7ii), while X7II only has 1 ESS9028Pro.

There are buyers who will aim for dual DAC (DX200) and will conclude without audition that it will sound better than X7II since 2 must better than 1 (dual dac of DX200 must be better than single DAC of X7II).

I think only your own ears will judge which one is better than the other, and who knows - your ears might tell you that your iPod Touch is better than X7II or DX200?

If you are not in a rush to upgrade, wait for a couple of weeks more as there will be more users having the X7II (and hopefully they also have DX200) to share their own thoughts (I doubt you will get a 1-side win anyway).

So 2 cents - do your own audition if possible, and decide which one meet your sound preference better.

Did I say I prefer the X7II after listening to both? :beyersmile: But I also wished that X7II had 2 ESS9028Pro DAC instead of 1 - so that it will sound 2X better?

Hope that I didn't confuse you further.:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #1,268 of 6,207
Hello Niko. It should also be taken into account that the Fiio X7ii has 2 SD cards, the Ibasso only 1! Best regards Klaus

The 2 sd lots are great. From the reviews I've read out the fiio x7 ii warmer than the ibasso dx200 that is good as I hear ~ 75% rap and the other 25% rock. The ibasso should sound dry that tells me unfortunately nothing. I would love to hear both but unfortunately I have here in Bavaria no shop where one could

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #1,269 of 6,207
The 2 sd lots are great. From the reviews I've read out the fiio x7 ii warmer than the ibasso dx200 that is good as I hear ~ 75% rap and the other 25% rock. The ibasso should sound dry that tells me unfortunately nothing. I would love to hear both but unfortunately I have here in Bavaria no shop where one could
Hello Niko. I´m from Bayern too - Weilheim. I have bought the X7ii by avshop ebay. It cost round about 635 € and in Germany the price is 749 € (I think) and not yet avaible. The price for ibasso is much higher. I don´t know if the ibasso is better because i don´t heard it! Both daps are better then your iphone!

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #1,271 of 6,207
Just purchased the AM5 for the X7ii and I really like those Muse amplifiers they are so beautifully sounding it now sounds like AM3a in Balance mode but I'm single ended out just beautiful sound really really like!
I have the AM5 amp module as well but I haven't attached it yet. The AM3A module sounds so good.

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #1,272 of 6,207
Hi there
Is tidal working in offline mode? ( or other platform as qobuz Spotify etc)
And how It works? ( i said this because i know some daps don't use their full potential and have a lot of bugs)
Thks

Aug 28, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #1,273 of 6,207
A word of warning: If you remove the Google service framework (tapping 7 times on device name in settings), there is no way to restore them right now. There doesn't seem to be any way within the OS to do so. Factory data reset doesn't bring it back and using the Technical Support to update the firmware doesn't bring it back.

I imagine that a Windows utility will have to be used (similarly to X7, X5 Mark III), but there isn't one available for the X7 Mark II at the moment.

Aug 28, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #1,274 of 6,207
A word of warning: If you remove the Google service framework (tapping 7 times on device name in settings), there is no way to restore them right now. There doesn't seem to be any way within the OS to do so. Factory data reset doesn't bring it back and using the Technical Support to update the firmware doesn't bring it back.

I imagine that a Windows utility will have to be used (similarly to X7, X5 Mark III), but there isn't one available for the X7 Mark II at the moment.

I suspect the FiiO Firmware Upgrade Tool (http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=41890) should do the trick. Obviously it would need to be updated with the X7 MkII firmware, but I believe this does a complete re-partition so would restore the GSF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back