FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 12, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #811 of 6,207
Hi everyone, I am new here, have been reading up so much about all the DAP before ending up getting both X7 with AM3 and onkyo DP-X1 to compare side by side. I notice even with the AM1, the X7 seems to have more power to drive my K10 or my Elear.
How much of an upgrade would the X7 Mark 2 be over the original X7 with AM3 or the DP-X1?
I was reading up about the ibasso DX200 thinking it would be a good upgrade till I heard about the X7 mark 2 and how it uses the same DAC like the DX200. Thanks Ben

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #812 of 6,207
Your mother have blond hair?
Are we brothers?
Is that you brother?

LOL
I agree with all things stated.

Hahaha.... I guess we have similar music preference?

Don't know how to explain the subtle difference in audiophile terms, but I guess there are many DAPs out there overly focusing on analytical details that tend to be "dry" and boring to listen long, while there are a handful of DAPs which managed to strike a good balance of details without overly cold, thus creating a smooth musicality experience.

Everyone with different preference, but I am happy with what the X7II provides, hours of non-stop enjoyment, while seems to allow me to discover new experience from all my favourite songs.

Guess this is what I was looking for in a good DAP.

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #813 of 6,207
Actually I'm trying the FiiO X5 iii gen even if my mind is deeply focused on the idea of trying the FiiO X7 Mark II.
Is there someone who can say something about these two DAP's?
Thank you in advance!

Aug 12, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #815 of 6,207
Just a quick update to confirm that X7ii really does have thermal throttling issues as a USB DAC. It gets so hot it actually ceases operation for a while after around 4 to 5 hours.

Woah

How hot is it inside when this is happening?

I find it hard to believe that in a place with 20 - 25C inside you'd see this behavior from it.

Aug 12, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #816 of 6,207
Woah

How hot is it inside when this is happening?

I find it hard to believe that in a place with 20 - 25C inside you'd see this behavior from it.
I'm in Singapore and the ambient temperature here is around 28-32C all day long. It's almost 4am when I'm writing this which is pretty much the coolest hours in Singapore and the X7ii has already overheated twice since 8 hours ago.

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #817 of 6,207
I'm in Singapore and the ambient temperature here is around 28-32C all day long. It's almost 4am when I'm writing this which is pretty much the coolest hours in Singapore and the X7ii has already overheated twice since 8 hours ago.

I wonder if this is a combination of charging it (which heats the battery) as well as general usage heat? Do you have a lower powered USB port you can try in?

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #819 of 6,207
Is it only me getting fed up with this. Is there a single DAP out there that doesn't have issues? If this is true for all X7ii's, very serious issues!

Part of me wishes I'd stayed with my second proper DAP, the FiiO X5ii with Fidue A83 IEM's and had left it there.

Unfortunately, having gone further up the upgrade ladder, I don't see a way back.

Having said that, if someone has a FiiO X5, or X5ii that they want to sell in the EU, please PM me.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #820 of 6,207

I see... I hope that there will be a solution for this.

If this issue it's a design flaw it will a major headache both FiiO and customers.

Hope not but (sadly for you @cecaniah ) a specific unit malfunction.

Now that you say it,

@FiiO , is it possible to stop the batteries from charging completely while X7mkii is used as a DAC? I was thinking about something like a setting in the menu? Would be great for many if they could just do this and not worry about their batteries and such.

Is it only me getting fed up with this. Is there a single DAP out there that doesn't have issues? If this is true for all X7ii's, very serious issues!

Part of me wishes I'd stayed with my second proper DAP, the FiiO X5ii with Fidue A83 IEM's and had left it there.

Unfortunately, having gone further up the upgrade ladder, I don't see a way back.

Having said that, if someone has a FiiO X5, or X5ii that they want to sell in the EU, please PM me.

I thought you are using a DX200, which should have satisfy your needs.

I think that all DAPs will be having less and less issues as time goes by, but I was quite happy with X5ii as well. Right now, I have Opus #3 which is fairly free of problems, I will have DX200 and X7mkii sometime soon and will tell how each does.

Aug 12, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #821 of 6,207
I do have a DX200, IT03 combo, but I just sometimes wish I hadn't gone that far.

You say DAPs will be having less and less issues, but the X5iii has gained a broken gapless play function with the latest firmware, and the X7ii was released with the same fault! I know this to be true, as I have had both. How can FiiO not have tested such a basic function? I found it with both the updated firmware on the X5iii and with the initial release firmware on the X7ii in an hour or so. If I'd have played Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon first, I'd have found it in the time it took to unbox and scan my SD cards!

Now we find that if the previous poster hasn't got a faulty unit, that the X7ii has a serious problem with its DAC function.

I think there is something to be said for using a smartphone, in my case a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and a quality DAC/headphone amp. Something like the OPPO HA-2SE. My DX200 crashed twice today and I used it for less than an hour. I've had the Galaxy 7 for over a year and its never crashed.

Aug 12, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #822 of 6,207
I wonder if this is a combination of charging it (which heats the battery) as well as general usage heat? Do you have a lower powered USB port you can try in?
Maybe, since it supports quick charge, it might have affected its thermal stability as a USB DAC. Unfortunately, I don't have a low powered USB port. To think there'd be a downside to a high end motherboard.

If this issue it's a design flaw it will a major headache both FiiO and customers.

Hope not but (sadly for you @cecaniah ) a specific unit malfunction.
To be fair to FiiO, I doubt USB DAC is considered a primary use case for the X7ii. I do hope they have this issue sorted out via a firmware update before the K5 successor comes around.

Aug 12, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #823 of 6,207
I do have a DX200, IT03 combo, but I just sometimes wish I hadn't gone that far.

You say DAPs will be having less and less issues, but the X5iii has gained a broken gapless play function with the latest firmware, and the X7ii was released with the same fault! I know this to be true, as I have had both. How can FiiO not have tested such a basic function? I found it with both the updated firmware on the X5iii and with the initial release firmware on the X7ii in an hour or so. If I'd have played Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon first, I'd have found it in the time it took to unbox and scan my SD cards!

Now we find that if the previous poster hasn't got a faulty unit, that the X7ii has a serious problem with its DAC function.

I think there is something to be said for using a smartphone, in my case a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and a quality DAC/headphone amp. Something like the OPPO HA-2SE. My DX200 crashed twice today and I used it for less than an hour. I've had the Galaxy 7 for over a year and its never crashed.

Here we're discussing about the audio quality. If we are going to think or hope that a dedicated DAP based on Android OS will or is able to replace a last-generation smartphone, it will never happen.
This, of course, it's my honest opinion. Anyway, Neutron Music Player is my best app for playing music and I think that Android is the really first advantage among others for letting you run Neutron.
Regards,

kalo86

Aug 12, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #824 of 6,207
No, I'm saying the other way around. A smartphone and separate DAC/Headphone amp replacing a DAP. May not sound quite as good, but there is something to be said for product stability. Audio quality is just one aspect of a DAP.

How come Samsung can make a smartphone to play gapless faultlessly, considering all the other things it has to do, being a smartphone and FiiO breaks a perfectly functioning gapless playback on the X5iii and releases the X7ii with it broken out of the box?

Aug 12, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #825 of 6,207
No, I'm saying the other way around. A smartphone and separate DAC/Headphone amp replacing a DAP. May not sound quite as good, but there is something to be said for product stability. Audio quality is just one aspect of a DAP.

How come Samsung can make a smartphone to play gapless faultlessly, considering all the other things it has to do, being a smartphone and FiiO breaks a perfectly functioning gapless playback on the X5iii and releases the X7ii with it broken out of the box?

Because using a smartphone + DAC/AMP is even less stable, strains the connections, is not truly pocketable, the smartphone has not that much battery life, and I really don't want to be interrupted by app updates or calls or such.

About X7, if my understanding is correct, isn't the situation something like... only the music app developed by FiiO is problematic, rigtht? Then why not use powerAMP or Neutron or another app that doesn't have any issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back