FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Aug 11, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #797 of 6,207
Just to clear one thin up. It's DLNA.............. DLNA does work on the X7, X5 III and X7 II, however it does not list album tracks in proper order or play in proper order. The order is alphabetical listing of song titles.
You may say so what. I prefer to hear Sgt. Pepper in the proper order...................Jim

Aug 11, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #798 of 6,207
Just did a quick comparison of single ended versus balanced with the X7 II. This is based only from 1 or 2 hours listening.
I used the Hifiman HE-560 with the balanced Hifiman clear copper cable with a 4 pin XLR plug and two adapters from Custom Cans UK, one from 4 pin XLR to single ended 3,5 mm and one from 4 pin XLR to 2.5 mm balanced.

Today I somehow liked the minimum phase fast roll-off filter slightly better than the apodizing fast roll-off filter, as the first one appeared to have transients and rhythm very slightly better than the latter. So I used the minimum phase fast roll-off filter and high gain mode. I must compare filters later in more detail.

Source was Tidal Hifi CD quality. Album used was Sia - This is acting deluxe. Song well suited for comparison is The Greatest.

The X7 II had enough power for the Hifiman to play at a sufficient volume both single ended and balanced.
With the single ended connection however, the Hifiman sounded a bit bright (which is normal for this headphone, it is a bit bright).

When switching to balanced, bass was better defined and stronger. Due to the better bass it sounded pretty good and no longer too bright.
Running balanced and in high gain, the volume setting I used was at two thirds of the volume slider.
I had some issues with the 2.5 mm plug of the Custom Cans adapter, as it would sometimes loose contact on moving the player. But this could be due to the plug. Unfortunately I have no other 2.5 mm plug here.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #799 of 6,207
Does anyone know why the X7 II (and also the X5 III and the coming Hidizs AP200) all use Android 5.1?

The RK3188 chip used in these devices does apparently support Android 7.1, at least there is a Chinese company selling an Android 7.1 based music system that also uses an RK3188.

Of course currently all music apps run on Android 5. But as time passes some streaming apps may eventually no longer support this version of Android.

Does anyone know if FiiO has plans to support Android 6 or 7 on the X5 III and X7 I / II at some time in the future?

Aug 11, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #800 of 6,207
Does anyone know why the X7 II (and also the X5 III and the coming Hidizs AP200) all use Android 5.1?

The RK3188 chip used in these devices does apparently support Android 7.1, at least there is a Chinese company selling an Android 7.1 based music system that also uses an RK3188.

Of course currently all music apps run on Android 5. But as time passes some streaming apps may eventually no longer support this version of Android.

Does anyone know if FiiO has plans to support Android 6 or 7 on the X5 III and X7 I / II at some time in the future?

I thought it was the RK3188 SoC solution that did not allow for anything above 5.1 to be used. Android 7.1 on RK3188, i guess i need to go read again.

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #801 of 6,207
The sonic difference between my iPhone and Note 4 compared to either of these DAP is obviously night and day. The sonic difference between the X5iii and X7ii is to my ears, negligible.

The X5iii has better battery life and a more powerful amplifier compared to the X7ii in SE config, and I prefer its form factor as it is smaller and one piece.

To use your iPhone analogy, on the X7ii, the screen is raised higher than the amp module, and if you run your finger down the sides of the X7ii, there is not the "iPhone" precision of construction and attention to detail between the main body and amp module. The X5iii being one piece construction, to me feels better in the hand.

I have both the X7ii and the X5iii, so it does not save me any money by preferring one over the other.

Thanks for the insight ^^

Aug 11, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #802 of 6,207
Unfortunately, my X7ii compared to my iphone 7 is not night and day. It is just very subtle difference and only can hear the subtle differences in quiet moments and with a good IEM. The subtle difference in details is also what I meant for X7ii vs X5iii. Only listening to them in balanced out so no comment on SE with either JH Layla II or Oriolus II.

As for saving money, I meant to say, just sell one of them since you have a preference for one.

Once again, I am not suggesting that X7ii is better than X5iii or the other way round. I am just putting my own opinion that it improves the details that I felt slightly veiled in my X5iii, without losing the smooth and musical portion that I found missing in the DX200.

So they are all good DAPs, and my iPhone 7 sounds really good when I used it on my travel between home to work.

Been contemplating to buy a DAP or not since it broke down and currently I'm using it for commuting ( one hour a day ). The UI for iPhone is faultless, I can sync a lot of songs with my Spotify vs 32gb for most DAP ( except high end ones ). My hand is kinda itchy but perhaps I should save up :p

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #803 of 6,207
I thought it was the RK3188 SoC solution that did not allow for anything above 5.1 to be used. Android 7.1 on RK3188, i guess i need to go read again.

Officially I believe this is the case if you want to build from AOSP as the RK3188 is 32bit with a relatively dated instruction set. That being said there's virtually no business case to go Android 6 or 7 for a DAP anyway. With Android fragmentation the way that it is it's unlikely app developers will drop support for 5.1 in the lifetime of the current range. Architecturally speaking 6+ hasn't changed much as 4.4+ all support ART anyway.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #804 of 6,207
Just did a quick comparison of single ended versus balanced with the X7 II. This is based only from 1 or 2 hours listening.
I used the Hifiman HE-560 with the balanced Hifiman clear copper cable with a 4 pin XLR plug and two adapters from Custom Cans UK, one from 4 pin XLR to single ended 3,5 mm and one from 4 pin XLR to 2.5 mm balanced.

Today I somehow liked the minimum phase fast roll-off filter slightly better than the apodizing fast roll-off filter, as the first one appeared to have transients and rhythm very slightly better than the latter. So I used the minimum phase fast roll-off filter and high gain mode. I must compare filters later in more detail.

Source was Tidal Hifi CD quality. Album used was Sia - This is acting deluxe. Song well suited for comparison is The Greatest.

The X7 II had enough power for the Hifiman to play at a sufficient volume both single ended and balanced.
With the single ended connection however, the Hifiman sounded a bit bright (which is normal for this headphone, it is a bit bright).

When switching to balanced, bass was better defined and stronger. Due to the better bass it sounded pretty good and no longer too bright.
Running balanced and in high gain, the volume setting I used was at two thirds of the volume slider.
I had some issues with the 2.5 mm plug of the Custom Cans adapter, as it would sometimes loose contact on moving the player. But this could be due to the plug. Unfortunately I have no other 2.5 mm plug here.

Same settings (balanced, same filter, approx same listening level) and love it. Superior to my SE listening experience.

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #805 of 6,207
Been contemplating to buy a DAP or not since it broke down and currently I'm using it for commuting ( one hour a day ). The UI for iPhone is faultless, I can sync a lot of songs with my Spotify vs 32gb for most DAP ( except high end ones ). My hand is kinda itchy but perhaps I should save up :p

A DAP will have its benefits including driving power, additional memory add on, balanced connection, etc.

For sound quality, it has subtle improvements but my simple test is just how long I can listen non-stop for the songs I like. iPhone already provides very good sound quality and with a normal headphone or IEM, most users will not be able to detect any difference in a usual situation of listening on a train or bus. Only when listening to very quiet moments and with high end headphones or IEM, the difference becomes more obvious, though it is still very subtle.

So with the many choices of DAP, iphone, android phones, etc, they are all pretty good in sound quality, and which is the best will depend on what is your preference of sound.

My own test of my "best" DAP is how long I can listen to a DAP without fatigue. X7ii seems to fit the bill, just like my old Calyx M, which is still the gold standard to me in terms of musically and non-fatigue listening for hours after hours.

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #806 of 6,207
My own test of my "best" DAP is how long I can listen to a DAP without fatigue. X7ii seems to fit the bill, just like my old Calyx M, which is still the gold standard to me in terms of musically and non-fatigue listening for hours after hours.

Your mother have blond hair?
Are we brothers?
Is that you brother?

LOL
I agree with all things stated.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #808 of 6,207
The reviews are in progress - if you can give just a little more time. Its not easy setting up in depth comparisons. Takes a lot of time volume matching and testing properly.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #809 of 6,207
A DAP will have its benefits including driving power, additional memory add on, balanced connection, etc.

For sound quality, it has subtle improvements but my simple test is just how long I can listen non-stop for the songs I like. iPhone already provides very good sound quality and with a normal headphone or IEM, most users will not be able to detect any difference in a usual situation of listening on a train or bus. Only when listening to very quiet moments and with high end headphones or IEM, the difference becomes more obvious, though it is still very subtle.

So with the many choices of DAP, iphone, android phones, etc, they are all pretty good in sound quality, and which is the best will depend on what is your preference of sound.

You got it dead right. I don't have good IEMs as they don't fit very well for me, I always carry my headphones to work. When ever I forget and had to listen to my ordinary IEMs, I just skip some songs but with my headphones I just can't do that.
You need to have good headphones to bring the best out of these DAPs. The aura is missing when I listen to same headphones on my phone, I just can't tolerate. 99% of the time I carry my gear everywhere in my bag.

Once I lost my bag with all my gear in it, some lucky bast...d might have got it.....I still wonder if he knew the value of those thing like I do.

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #810 of 6,207
20170812_222359_001[1].jpg

Now I wonder what
I wonder what she would say
If I told her that
If I told her that.. I felt this way

Violent Femmes - "Please Do not Go"

Guitar pulls and plucks are just dope on this LP Blister in the Sun - Kiss Off - Please Don't Go.....trilogy of awesomeness

Users who are viewing this thread

Back