FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Jul 15, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #46 of 6,207
I see what you meant. It is not easy to properly engineer and package "desktop class" chip into portable device :). Even AK have troubles. Anyways, the awesome news here is that X7 MKII allows user selectable filters modes from ESS. I am following SP1000 as well, not sure how they are doing over there. Still too new. The only player that does so well with digital filtering/similar features is Sony Walkman WM1A/Z. I love their D.C. Linearizer so so much

I am looking forward to hearing about this device and would like to join a listening tour, but I don't have the time to do such with the requirements needed to fulfill the agreement. In the mean time I will sit back and pay attention to what people are saying, not regarding how it sounds, but instead on what it delivers in relation to the advertising.

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #48 of 6,207
I am looking forward to hearing about this device and would like to join a listening tour, but I don't have the time to do such with the requirements needed to fulfill the agreement. In the mean time I will sit back and pay attention to what people are saying, not regarding how it sounds, but instead on what it delivers in relation to the advertising.
Same here. Though the tour is great, but to have such short time period to spend with these devices are not desirable. It needs updates, time spent with different gears, personal sessions here and there to get involved. I personally would be more interested to observe the impressions from owners, people who has it for a long time instead

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #49 of 6,207
Same here. Though the tour is great, but to have such short time period to spend with these devices are not desirable. It needs updates, time spent with different gears, personal sessions here and there to get involved. I personally would be more interested to observe the impressions from owners, people who has it for a long time instead

This is one of the reasons Audiophile Heaven started spending more times with gear before writing an in-depth review. It is hard to write a review as it is, having too little time with a product won't truly show all the details a user needs to know about the said product.

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #50 of 6,207
Didn't FiiO say for the X5III that Rockchip's lack of support is why they can't move to Android 6, 7 or 8? Why would you then use one in your next flagship? Is it just so they can develop one more or less identical firmware version for all their Android devices?

Idk if im a fan of this approach.

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #51 of 6,207
However, by using the same DAC in a single setup instead of 2x in comparison to DX200, the competitions maybe tighter than we think it is.

Glad you brought up the DX200 since I will likely compare with the X7ii when i get my hands on it (X7ii), I have the DX200.

Do you think the DX beats the PHA-3 which uses a single ESS chip?
I don't.

The Calyx M also has an older single ESS chip and that thing buries the iBasso rig.

These are just opinions but...this is just a forum.

Worth noting
That is the most watched DX200 vid (pretty sure)
Most thumbs up of any vid I did so a lot of folks agree (and that was a compare with X5iii)
Also...reviewers on here, the biggest, noted and stated the sonics improved after a FW update. (if it was so awesome why the noted improvement?)...cuz something was wrong.

Single chip v.s. Dual chips .

you still have the PHA-3? I have it and the DX and i cannot head a dif and oddly the balanced out of PHA sounds supreme which makes no sense. The Japan market re-sale of the PHA-3 is superior to the PHA model designed to replace it.

Not kicking DX but you used it as the compare.

I think the X7ii should be judged on sound.

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #52 of 6,207
Glad you brought up the DX200 since I will likely compare with the X7ii when i get my hands on it (X7ii), I have the DX200.

I don't.

The Calyx M also has an older single ESS chip and that thing buries the iBasso rig.

Worth noting
Most thumbs up of any vid I did so a lot of folks agree (and that was a compare with X5iii)
Also...reviewers on here, the biggest, noted and stated the sonics improved after a FW update. (if it was so awesome why the noted improvement?)...cuz something was wrong.

you still have the PHA-3? I have it and the DX and i cannot head a dif and oddly the balanced out of PHA sounds supreme which makes no sense. The Japan market re-sale of the PHA-3 is superior to the PHA model designed to replace it.

I will also try the x7ii against the DX200 but at the other end of the scale I will try against the XDP-30R (digital-to-analog SABRE ES9018C2M twin configuration with twin SABRE ESS9601K amplifiers) limited features but an interesting sound.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #53 of 6,207

I don't.

Worth noting

Nice post, and yes...again with implementation. Pha-3 is so dang good, though I have moved along into desktop with Stax. A lot of people just litterally take having Desktop DAC chips into a player too seriously. Let's just say it again, these are Desktop classes from their makers for a reason. On top of that, trying to save battery and squeeze the most out of it with a powerful amplification. What would you think may happen ? Imagine feeding Lebron a small bow of noodles a day and ask him to keep his performances everyday

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #56 of 6,207
Jul 15, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #57 of 6,207
Here will answer your question: http://fiio.net/en/products/71

According to this...
upload_2017-7-15_11-30-17.png

This does not look like the DAP for me.

tbh though... this DAP looks like a small diagonal step from the X5iii rather than a jump forward. Like an X5iii Rev 2.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #58 of 6,207
According to this...

This does not look like the DAP for me.

tbh though... this DAP looks like a small diagonal step from the X5iii rather than a jump forward. Like an X5iii Rev 2.

But it has the AMP modules and an ESS Pro chip, so it should be an upgrade from X7 if we consider the DAC configurations in FiiO DAPs so far (?)

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #59 of 6,207
If you are into streaming I'd steer clear of this until fiio proves they can improve streaming on their devices. Considering this will be running the same firmware as the X7 and X5ii I don't see that happening yet.

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #60 of 6,207
Not for me. Just sold my X5III and went back to using Mojo with phone as I just love the sound. After I've tried the Hugo 2 on the UK Tour I may even upgrade from the Mojo or even consider the Poly for use with Mojo. Not bothering with DAP's now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back