FiiO X7 Mk II 2GB RAM + 64GB ROM + ESS9028 PRO + Balanced + DSD + BT 4.1 aptX + Dual mSD + Dual Band WiFi + Opt Out
Oct 19, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #2,521 of 6,207
Did/do you have the old x7 too? If so, could you try the 400gb in the old one? Thanks a lot!

no not at the moment but I never had a problem with a 256 when did so I'd guess it may work

Oct 19, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #2,522 of 6,207
X7 dac isnt exactly lower end. On the contrary its quiet nice and you need pretty decent hps and amps to transmit everything its capable of.

I am not saying here from point of view of measurements but from what i hear.

Adding an amp thats not good will result in colouration that you can actually hear and make out. Also it will mask some subtle dynamics and details. You want to hear them i assume thats why you made this investment in first place.

Since you own planars, but i dont have experience with those models. Most full size hps will give better impact and a more present and robust sound on adding an amp. Make sure that amp is a good one and transmits all goodness x7 is capable of.

Thank you so much for your answer. What would you consider a good portable amp that can be paired with FIIO 7ii?

Oct 19, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #2,524 of 6,207
Thank you for your answer. Would you pair it with anything? I have oppo pm3 and audeze el-8 closed back.
I have the PM3's and PM2's the X7ii powers them just fine, both SE and Balanced. I also have Audezee LCD2, but I use AM2 when I listen to them. Never use extra amp, even though I have some.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #2,525 of 6,207
Thank you so much for your answer. What would you consider a good portable amp that can be paired with FIIO 7ii?

I would look at reputed amp builders. Jan Meier, Ray Samuels, Head amp comes to mind.

While their offerings may look confusing, most of their amps should impart no flavour. So you can choose anyone.

I am myself debating between meier quickstep, ray samuels sr71a, headamp pico power. If you want to narrow down to models.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #2,526 of 6,207
I would look at reputed amp builders. Jan Meier, Ray Samuels, Head amp comes to mind.

While their offerings may look confusing, most of their amps should impart no flavour. So you can choose anyone.

I am myself debating between meier quickstep, ray samuels sr71a, headamp pico power. If you want to narrow down to models.

Thank you for the information. That is very helpful!!

Oct 21, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #2,530 of 6,207
Peter, have you tried 400 gb sd + 256 sd card ?

Yes that combination is working using fiio player and folder view the main way I use the x7ii.

Oct 22, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #2,533 of 6,207
According to the specs yes - but I haven't tried yet. I have an adaptor coming for my HD800S and that should give a reasonable idea comparatively.

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #2,535 of 6,207
Long time ago i tried to ask fiio to comply with opensource licenses of software that they sell along with their devices.

They do not care. Even a bit. And it is illegal. But who will force chinese company?

Now we have situation when it is crucial to have device updated to keep using built in feature and.. fiio do not care.

Lots of promises from fiio to support their devices and such a let down ;(

I decided to get their android based device again hoping that it would be better this time... looks like it is not. I guess it is time to return device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back