FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Mar 1, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #16,756 of 18,019
I know, I know! Just being impatient. Lol. Just thought Brooko could just post some bullet points ahead of the review proper.

It stands to reason that the X5iii should be very close to the X7, as everything they have learned will be incorporated in later models. It's just the way of things and if it wasn't, I would be typing this on a Commodore C64. 1984. Best Christmas ever.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #16,757 of 18,019
  I am trying to choose between the Sennheiser's HD650 and OPP0 PM-3 headphones to use with my X7 and AM2. I do like bass and I don't want to use a separate amplifier if I don't have to. Can someone recommend either one.

Thanks

I have only used the HD650 with the AM3 in balanced mode and the results are spectacular. I have no need for an additional amp which is the very reason I purchased the X7/AM3 combo. (Audeze EL-8 in balanced mode sounds terrific too but not quite as good as the HD650,to my ears) I'm kinda biased with regards to the HD650 

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #16,758 of 18,019

I agree the pm3 is so much easier to drive and also has the advantage of being closed and not a problem in a room with other people or the tv. Also sounds brilliant combination, i found the hd650 works best with an external desktop amp preferably with some valves in it (a hybrid perhaps)

d

Thank you for your help. I am going to go with the oppo pm-3

Ken

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #16,759 of 18,019
  I have only used the HD650 with the AM3 in balanced mode and the results are spectacular. I have no need for an additional amp which is the very reason I purchased the X7/AM3 combo. (Audeze EL-8 in balanced mode sounds terrific too but not quite as good as the HD650,to my ears) I'm kinda biased with regards to the HD650 

Do you think the HD650 and the AM2 would give similar or close to similar results as your AM3 combo.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #16,760 of 18,019

Do you think the HD650 and the AM2 would give similar or close to similar results as your AM3 combo.

No, the AM3 in balanced mode is equal if not slightly more powerful than any other module. I also find the AM2 to be some what warm which, IMO, does not compliment the HD650. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #16,761 of 18,019
Not biting
biggrin.gif

I was the same when I got my HD800S. Might not be everyone's pinnacle, but it 100% satisfies me. No longer looking for another open headphone. Think the X5iii will be the same.

Whooooa! 

HD800S is my pinnacle for an open headphone as well. Not going to search anymore if I ever get one. Personal thing is that I preferred it over LCD-4 but that's just me. 

I really hope there will be a DAP with X5-3 sound but with X5ii treble. Really want that treble 
gs1000.gif

Even over your X7?

Edit: Sorry, just was your previous post. I'm seriously thinking of selling my Questyle QP1R and getting either a DX200, Opus #2, X7 and now the X5iii.

So if you could perhaps give a brief description as to why the X5iii is better than the X7, it would make my choice (Slightly) easier.

X7 vs X5-3, only for stability software and dual mSD slot reasons. The sound is questionably better on X7 to those ears, with AM3 there is a more natural treble presentation so X7 > X5-3, but on X5-3 the FW and dual mSD are really nice to have. 

Quote:
  read his review when it goes up :wink:

We should all always read some of @Brooko Reviews, I am a fan! 

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #16,762 of 18,019

X7 vs X5-3, only for stability software and dual mSD slot reasons. The sound is questionably better on X7 to those ears, with AM3 there is a more natural treble presentation so X7 > X5-3, but on X5-3 the FW and dual mSD are really nice to have. 

AFAIK, X5 3rd "actual" firmware 1.1.1 is the same as the X7 "beta" 3.1.6, Released notes on both FW's are the same, paragraph by paragraph.

Personally I'm happy, X7 new FW will be improved alongside X5 III for a longer period than I would expect 1 year ago - so kudos for FiiO for pushing the envelope on X7 against all odds. Two mSD slots is nice but if I had them I would be aspiring for a 3rd so ... whatever ...

My 2 cents

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #16,764 of 18,019
  They really need to unlock the bootloader and allow CWM/TWRP support, at the VERY least Xposed. I'm tired of mucking around in this thing.

there is no locked bootloader though, is there?
You can flash CWM or TWRP as recovery,  but they don't seem to work.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #16,765 of 18,019

there is no locked bootloader though, is there?
You can flash CWM or TWRP as recovery,  but they don't seem to work.

Actually, there is.

ro.secure=1
ro.allow.mock.location=0
ro.debuggable=0

I'm looking for a way to unpack so I could change these settings. This gives me a start.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2485691

I've tried RkWinTools, but this is what it tells me.

'xcopy' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
cat: sign.txt: No such file or directory
Could Not Find C:\Users\Infinity\Downloads\RKwinTools_v133\Unpack\Boot\sign.txt
can't open input file 'boot.img': No such file or directory
gzip: boot.cpio.gz: No such file or directory
The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the file specified.
Could Not Find C:\Users\Infinity\Downloads\RKwinTools_v133\Unpack\Boot\*.cpio
Could Not Find C:\Users\Infinity\Downloads\RKwinTools_v133\Unpack\Boot\*.img

It seems I need a sign.txt file to be able to extract the contents of boot.img

CWM boots when flashed, but gives me these errors.
"E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E: Can't open /dev/block/platform/ff0f0000.rksdmmc"

I've been doing some documentation, It isn't fully FiiO's fault that 5.1 is a mess with Xposed.
See this as well.
https://github.com/rovo89/Xposed/issues/167
It appears to be a mish-mash between 4.4 and 5.1, which messes up installation and makes it incompatible.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3034811
If you download the apk here, and flash the zip yourself after rooting. You will also get a bootloop.

The page had some resources, but they've been removed. I am very sad.
I'm surprised nobody has bothered to get this far. If there is a talented person out there who is determined to crack this, please help.

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #16,769 of 18,019

I think the AM6 with the Hybrid Earphone DN4001, the first crossover earphones, but isn't released yet.

Very interesting! I wonder how much does this cost. Otherwise, does this module only compatible with DN4001?

Mar 2, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #16,770 of 18,019

Here is the Guide

I hope you have as much fun as I did! :)
I sure wish CWM/TWRP would be supported though. That's still out of the question, for now. Still can't believe no one else but me found this, for the FiiO X7 at least. My google-fu is strong I guess. Well, my duck-fu, whatever.  Really should have bothered sooner with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back