FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Sep 11, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #14,207 of 18,020
What does it do?

It splits the L and R signals and amplifies these as required for the Balanced Armature and Dynamic driver. (from what i understand from the image)

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #14,208 of 18,020
All these new ways/types of connectors is getting out of control.  Pretty soon everyone will have 30 or 40 adapters for all their various HP and audio equipment.  Stupid if you ask me and we need to standardize this industry.  

Sep 11, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #14,209 of 18,020
sorry to ask what is the AM6+DN4001SE

when will it be released and how much will it cost

Sep 11, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #14,210 of 18,020

This looks interesting, but how many headphones currently use such a pinout?

Apparently, the DN-4001 headphones - and that's it. That seems to be the point behind the AM6. It seems to be specifically designed to drive the DN-4001 headphones, which have some unusual needs - like discrete signals for high and low frequency content for each ear = 4 signal components + 1 ground = 5 point connector needed. The amp module needs to be special too, as it will require a pair of some kind of crossover (active or passive TBD - my guess is passive for the AM6 but I could be wrong) for each ear in order to separate the signals for the low and high drivers.

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #14,211 of 18,020
Apparently, the DN-4001 headphones - and that's it. That seems to be the point behind the AM6. It seems to be specifically designed to drive the DN-4001 headphones, which have some unusual needs - like discrete signals for high and low frequency content for each ear = 4 signal components + 1 ground = 5 point connector needed. The amp module needs to be special too, as it will require a pair of some kind of crossover (active or passive TBD - my guess is passive for the AM6 but I could be wrong) for each ear in order to separate the signals for the low and high drivers.

I kind of agree with arpo1 above but have to admit this is a courage move from FiiO... It's not every week we see two companies trying to break with that 100 years old jack. This "dual" signal separated in amp for highs and lows can be an interesting idea, even for future earphones with only balanced armatures or more complex hybrids, if the amp does its job correctly I guess...

If it wasn't for AM6, seeing all that has been published by FiiO today (very nice stuff btw) ... I would say they had completely forgotten their TOTL DAP... X7 :frowning2:

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #14,212 of 18,020
  All these new ways/types of connectors is getting out of control.  Pretty soon everyone will have 30 or 40 adapters for all their various HP and audio equipment.  Stupid if you ask me and we need to standardize this industry.  

standards.png

alternatively, we all go with Apples solution and use adapters with our €$500+ device. :wink:

Sep 11, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #14,213 of 18,020
considering i don't use the internal memory (NAND flash) i'll experiment to see if i can expand the 1GB partition for you
smily_headphones1.gif

It seems that, although android is Linux based, there is no way to change the partition sizes. sorry.

Sep 12, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #14,217 of 18,020
  \
The AM3 sounds maybe 5 to 10 percent better than the stock amp. The AM6 had better sound at least 10 percent better than the AM3 in balanced mode or it won't sell. Unusual or not.

You shouldn't look at AM6 by that perspective, IMHO...

What you are buying is not a new amplifier for X7; you are buying an exclusive NEW EARPHONE that NEEDS a dedicated exclusive amp and FiiO has in X7 (with the modular amp design) the best platform to make it work quicky and with the least investment.

Regards 

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #14,218 of 18,020
My views on the new AM2A Medium Power Amp Module : http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-am2a-medium-power-amplifier-module-for-x7/reviews/16827

Sep 12, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #14,220 of 18,020
I try my Fiio X7 with AM3, Senheisser HD-800 and a custom balanced cable Black Dragon made by Moon Audio. The sound is really brilliant, excellent, clearly. I don't hear any background noise and in the case of an orchestra i really caption all the instruments in the scene. The X7 drives the HD-800 very well. Normal volumen is 50-60, and high volume 80-100. I don't use any equalization. With high volume never hear any distorsion. I test the quality of sound with DXD files (2L, The Nordic Sound), remastered DSD albums (DSD64) and other recent classical albums recorded in DSD (DSD64). I also try Depeche Mode DSD albums, The Beach Boys DSD albums, Michael Jackson DSD album, etc. Comparing this albums with other 44 kHz,16 bits i really hear and noticed a diference, even with same master resource. Especially with high volumes and especially in treble and bass. The bass is not highlighted, but is the right amount. The voices are really clearly.

I'm really impresive with the quality of sound and with the power that AM3 brings to the HD-800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back