FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Aug 13, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #13,802 of 18,020
I don't find the am5 warm at all. I would say very balanced. The am1 to my ears is a little leaner than am2 and am5.

Funny, all you guys hearing big differences and @Brooko in his reviews say the differences are so small between the am2 and am5. I think he is very methodical with his assessments.

non are warm, but its warmer than am3 for sure

Aug 13, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #13,805 of 18,020
I don't find the am5 warm at all. I would say very balanced. The am1 to my ears is a little leaner than am2 and am5.

Funny, all you guys hearing big differences and @Brooko in his reviews say the differences are so small between the am2 and am5. I think he is very methodical with his assessments.

Yep, I also find the differences between AM2 and AM5 to be minimal, at least with easier-to-drive IEMs and headphones. With harder to drive headphones there is more of a difference, but not anything drastic.

AM3 however is somewhat more different from the rest, but that's more due to how good the separation is rather than the tonality or anything else.

Aug 14, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #13,807 of 18,020
  i have a few quick questions...

¹ have you had any scratches on the unit while putting the clear plastic case?
² what other 3rd party cases are you using?
³ what apps have you so far disabled?

¹nope.
²Dignis : http://dignis.co.kr/product/detail.html?product_no=114&cate_no=54&display_group=1
³about all of them. more than is good for Android (seriously, my home button is non-functional. i could re-install android to fix it but i don't mind)
to clarify the last point: i removed all of googles services and apps, as well as a good number of system apps.
I sideload to get apps if they are not available on F-droid.

Aug 14, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #13,808 of 18,020
  ¹nope.
²Dignis : http://dignis.co.kr/product/detail.html?product_no=114&cate_no=54&display_group=1
³about all of them. more than is good for Android (seriously, my home button is non-functional. i could re-install android to fix it but i don't mind)
to clarify the last point: i removed all of googles services and apps, as well as a good number of system apps.
I sideload to get apps if they are not available on F-droid.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at Dignis for quite a while now - the only thing that's holding me back is that there's no cutout for the physical buttons.

I might get this one instead - http://www.ebay.com/itm/A6-EASECASE-Custom-Made-Genuine-Leather-case-for-Fiio-X7-/262549348122?hash=item3d21291f1a:g:Q7EAAOSwcdBWTXe~

Now i'm still doing the initial battery charge/discharge cycle - i'm on my 2nd cycle now. So far i have used Google Play instead of Fiio Marketplace (It gives me the impression that i will always get updates for my apps).

I have disabled Exchange Services, Basic Daydreams and Android Live Wallpapers. But how do you disable Cell Standby? (I just enabled Flight Mode to counteract this) - or do i need to root to have this disabled?

Aug 14, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #13,809 of 18,020
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at Dignis for quite a while now - the only thing that's holding me back is that there's no cutout for the physical buttons.

Hey, I also had that concern before ordering but It works fine, leather over buttons is thinner and you get extra protection against dust - look is cleaner too. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the Dignis case.

My 2 cents

Aug 14, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #13,812 of 18,020
  have anyone compared the X7 to the onkyo dpx1? Im trying to pick a player and its probably coming down between these 2. Nobody has responded in my help thread yet so i thought id post here

I wrote a bit about what I felt were the differences in sound between the X7 and the DP-X1 in my review of the former, as linked here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x7/reviews/15045#user_Non-volume_matched_comparisons

Keep in mind though that I only compared the X7 with the AM1 amp module to the DP-X1's single-ended output, as only the AM1 was available when I compared the two and I unfortunately don't have any balanced IEMs.

In short, I feel that in terms of detail, soundstage, separation, etc. they're mostly the same. Both are pretty good sounding units. However, at least with AM1 the X7 sounds brighter while the DP-X1 goes for a warmer tone - which one is better comes down to what you prefer and what goes better with your pair of headphones. With the other X7 amp modules though, I think the X7 is now warmer and closer to the DP-X1 sound, though purely based off of memory I would still call the DP-X1 slightly warmer.

Also, this seems to be a pretty good comparison between the DP-X1 balanced vs. the FiiO X7 with the AM3 balanced amp module: http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/9585#post_12679227

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #13,814 of 18,020
Fiio, SHAME, SHAME on you!!
where's new FW??????????

X7 is working not stable. Astell&Kern is no need any FW. it works with NO any FW update.

Juga, shame on you for not reading a bit back and seeing that they have asked for some more time to work on android lollipop. Adding more question marks adds nothing positive to your message either.

Please review your messages before you send them.

Further more, you did not even describe what the issue is you are having what you need a firnware update for.

Aug 14, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #13,815 of 18,020
we all need to give fiio a break guys, they are offering a high end dap for a price like no other

yes there are bugs, and there are wishes we all hope for but lets not get too demanding and remember that they are working hard to address things

i have my own wishes like a better eq or even a basshead amp and I asked many times with no answer from their end, but i will not start slamming them around as Fiio is a great company and they listen to users unlike other companies

so lets give them more time and things will get better and better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back