FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Feb 17, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #9,632 of 18,020
Just wondering a bit... if they maybe feeling a little pressure from the " promised " Seiun ProX  having built in 128GB 

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/seiun-players-hi-res-audio-meets-4k-video/x/9556944#/

even if the pressure isn't Seiun...  there are other players working new solutions in the background...  competition is good sometimes... 

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #9,633 of 18,020

But we were lead to believe that something better would not be around the corner by Fiio very early on in the thread. At least that is the way it read to me. No of course the new SKU isn't a second gen model but for the reasons I have given the 64gb would have served me much better and to come in such a sort time is very disappointing. I find it difficult to accept that it wasn't on the cards from the beginning and I wasn't given the choice. I find this disappointing and it will affect my loyalty to Fiio (I have in my family X7, K5, X5 1st gen, X3 2nd gen x2, X1 x3, E12, E12A, EX01 x2, E18, E11K). You can say well that's business and I can't argue with that but it is not the way to keep loyal customers.

Higher capacity versions were certainly on the cards from the beginning.

FiiO made numerous references to 64GB and/or 128GB versions in posts on this thread.

Feb 17, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #9,634 of 18,020
*Sigh* I was frowning just as hard as the rest of you guys when I heard of the 2gb update. The least we could have done, I suppose, would have been to leave the announcement until when the bloody thing launches, instead of dangling it in front of you guys months before it is even a reality. :rolleyes: Then everyone could have enjoyed their X7 mod 1 for that much longer without being ravaged by the ravaging ravages of OCD :p

Oh well I suppose cynically now us early adopters have helped surface all of the wrinkles with the current X7 it would be surprising if an updated version was not on the cards. It would be nice to think that we might be rewarded by some sort of discount should we wish to buy the upgraded version. For me my X7 serves my purpose well, I only use it as a transport either for my Chord Hugo or via BT to my Chord QBD76. It does its job brilliantly and much more effectively than my X5.

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #9,635 of 18,020
There are typically no rewards for being an early adopter beyond being the first to post impressions and help guide others in their purchasing decisions (if you consider that a reward at all). Normally I never buy early on for this very reason, it does sting to see the next wave of buyers get improved versions (if that happens which isn't always the case) based on the learning experience of those who went first. Still, nobody forces us to be the first into the pool so we have to man/woman up and accept our decisions. Simple as that.

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #9,636 of 18,020
I like my X7.....paid for it myself and don't stream so wouldn't benefit from the extra memory, I don't see an issue with Fiio continuously improving their offerings, if they hadn't we probably wouldn't be where we are now.
I do think there should be support for those with hardware faults who struggle with WiFi and Bluetooth because there is a reduction in value for those early adopters. Mine works fine and I am a happy customer.... Also impressed with the transparency that Fiio offers in discussing this openly with all. I think a larger corporation would have not given info that might delay sales on a current model and if it were leaked that they were planning to upgrade they would hide away and keep quiet rather than face the music.
Electronics progress far quicker than any other industry and are constantly evolving....without innovation Fiio would disappear so hats off to them and I hope they prosper by doing the right thing and liaising directly with their customers.

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #9,637 of 18,020
By the files being split up, do you mean they actually go into different folders in folder view, or that they go into different albums?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w51qqpruj618tkj/X7%20Complete%20User%20Guide.pdf?dl=0

The distinction between the various song listing in the X7 FiiO Music player is explained in section F.2.2 on page 26. :xf_eek:

Same file folder but different albums. One example is it took 11 songs in one album. Took one song into another album but capitalized the whole album title. It's not capitalized in the tags.

Have you updated to the present firmware (1.8) and performed a factory reset afterwards?

Can you send me two files that should belong to the same album but have been split in this manner, for us to inspect?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 17, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #9,638 of 18,020
I was wondering if a lyrics feature is being considered for a future firmware update. I really enjoy viewing the lyrics when a song is playing. I know there are other programs such as poweramp that I could add now but I am getting used to FiiO's program and I really like it.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #9,639 of 18,020
+1 for the post of ddtdave
i am happy with my X7, sounds great and works flawless. So, why care about 2 GB instead of 1 GB when using as music player and not as an Android gimmick? The UI is even with the 1 GB superfast.
What is great with FiiO is they care about their customer, I never seen company in this industry with such a responsive and supportive feedback, and they continuously improve their software due to consumer feedback (Had A&K before and there is a real difference....)

Personally dont care about a 2 GB version if they continue to improve their software...(e.g. with internal playlist export/import)

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #9,640 of 18,020
Would it actually be possible to include extra storage slots in a future module? I don't know how circuitry works so I'm not sure if it would be possible. Also, would it be possible to have a USB 3.0 or C connection instead of micro USB, or does the base part of the X7 have to support it? I'm thinking Fiio could maybe make a "utility module" that has extra features, but not necessarily a stronger amp.

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #9,641 of 18,020
  I was wondering if a lyrics feature is being considered for a future firmware update. I really enjoy viewing the lyrics when a song is playing. I know there are other programs such as poweramp that I could add now but I am getting used to FiiO's program and I really like it.

The lyrics feature is already there.  I haven't actually tested it yet - but can if you want.  In the now playing screen, tap the cover art once.

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #9,643 of 18,020
On the debate about TOTL, releasing models with slightly changed specs (RAM, internal memory etc), I wonder if perhaps it might be wise to step into Fiios shoes for a bit?

And before I continue - in the interests of disclosure - I have the review sample of the X7, I know Fiio won't ask for it back, but I still intend buying it off them - simply because I'll be using it a lot for my own personal pleasure.  I have no intention of asking for a model with extra RAM or memory, simply because I am very happy with the X7 as-is, and it does everything I could possibly want.

But back to my thoughts on stepping into Fiio's shoes.

Here is a company that really listens to its customer base.  They involve us in decisions along the way.  They ask our advice, and take on board requests for features.  They deliver what they can (as long as they requests are reasonable), and explain why they can't implement some things (for Unfie above - the reason there is no 2nd slot is because of the input circuitry required in the controller chip - it was a decision between 2nd slot or ditching either bluetooth or wifi from memory - the explanation is in the thread somewhere).  One of the things they've listened to is users asking for extra memory.  And guess what, now they've mentioned that they're looking at that option.  TBH I'm not sure what has prompted the RAM decision - James would need to expand on that. But the increase in onboard memory is because we asked for it.

Now contrast that with the comments after they're actually talking about delivering it (and remember they haven't said when so it could be 6 months or more away - who knows)?  All of a sudden something we asked for is now the subject of pointed debate, and Fiio are accused of not looking after their customers?  What?  They're thinking of doing what we suggested - and some people are hanging them for it?

Walking a mile in someone else's shoes can do wonders for perspective.  In this particular case - I think its worth it to reconsider the debate from all angles.

Just my 2c.

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #9,644 of 18,020

Higher capacity versions were certainly on the cards from the beginning.

FiiO made numerous references to 64GB and/or 128GB versions in posts on this thread.

I really didn't intend to post on this subject again but as I have been quoted I felt obliged too along with some of the other comments made. With respect to you I am not going to wade through this thread to support my comments or research yours its just too long. I bought the X7 solely as a high quality music player that had streaming capabilities nothing more. I do not expect it to compete with a smart phone or use it for youtube etc. Did I get this, yes and no. High quality music file player tick yes. High quality streamer tick no. I have suffered with the wifi noise problem. I can live with that. Weak wifi reception again acceptable because of the ability with my streaming service to download to the device. However this is limited by the ability to only do so to the internal memory. I had assumed (my own fault) that as per my phone the downloads could be to the micro SD card meaning 128gb available and larger cards to follow - not the case. The extra RAM doesn't matter to me but to others it may. To learn that 4 months after release date a larger internal memory version will be available is a kick in the teeth. The reason simply is that Fiio must have known this was going to happen right at release date. Phone manufacturers and the like set there stall out at release date - 16/64/128 gb versions with differing RAM. Yes phones undergo revision, usually after 12 months not 4 (I would accept 12 months no issue). I have never in my life bought an electronics item at release date that has been revised after such a short time unless it faulty. I'm sure others will be able to quote examples but not in my personal experience. I cannot help but feel the early adopters have financed the furthering of this 'project'  for Fiio. One poster points out this allows Fiio to develop and move forward and is happy to support this. Well that's your choice if those are the facts given to you but they weren't. I paid full wack for my X7. I am very happy to support projects. I have just pledged £89 to Mitchell & Johnson for a set of GL2 headphones on a kickstarter project. These will retail at £199. I can't afford a proper set of electrostatic headphones and the supporting amp. Therefore I'm happy to take a risk and support there project. At the end I may get a really good set of cans or some really rubbish ones, but I made my decision on based on facts. I haven't even mentioned the amp module element of the SKU argument i.e. having to buy the X7 with no choice of module of which is potentially going to be revised. Someone has said I believe in good humour 'man up'. Yes I can go with that, I have manned up and accept my buying decision (which as it now stands was the wrong one - should have gone for the Mojo). Please don't say this is buyers remorse - it isn't. I just feel let down by Fiio and do not believe this is the way to treat loyal customers who have bought and paid full price for products. I can now either enjoy my X7 for what it is or sell it on. I have learned a lesson. I do know for the time being I will not be investing any more money in Fiio products. As always I respect peoples differing opinion,s but what I do find troubling is some attitudes towards other peoples money - be free and easy with your own if you so wish but not others.
Anyway I am getting extremely boring and repetitive now (never good when you can recognise this yourself) so if you don't want me post don't quote me!

Feb 17, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #9,645 of 18,020
I really didn't intend to post on this subject again but as I have been quoted I felt obliged too along with some of the other comments made. With respect to you I am not going to wade through this thread to support my comments or research yours its just too long. I bought the X7 solely as a high quality music player that had streaming capabilities nothing more. I do not expect it to compete with a smart phone or use it for youtube etc. Did I get this, yes and no. High quality music file player tick yes. High quality streamer tick no. I have suffered with the wifi noise problem. I can live with that. Weak wifi reception again acceptable because of the ability with my streaming service to download to the device. However this is limited by the ability to only do so to the internal memory. I had assumed (my own fault) that as per my phone the downloads could be to the micro SD card meaning 128gb available and larger cards to follow - not the case. The extra RAM doesn't matter to me but to others it may. To learn that 4 months after release date a larger internal memory version will be available is a kick in the teeth. The reason simply is that Fiio must have known this was going to happen right at release date. Phone manufacturers and the like set there stall out at release date - 16/64/128 gb versions with differing RAM. Yes phones undergo revision, usually after 12 months not 4 (I would accept 12 months no issue). I have never in my life bought an electronics item at release date that has been revised after such a short time unless it faulty. I'm sure others will be able to quote examples but not in my personal experience. I cannot help but feel the early adopters have financed the furthering of this 'project'  for Fiio. One poster points out this allows Fiio to develop and move forward and is happy to support this. Well that's your choice if those are the facts given to you but they weren't. I paid full wack for my X7. I am very happy to support projects. I have just pledged £89 to Mitchell & Johnson for a set of GL2 headphones on a kickstarter project. These will retail at £199. I can't afford a proper set of electrostatic headphones and the supporting amp. Therefore I'm happy to take a risk and support there project. At the end I may get a really good set of cans or some really rubbish ones, but I made my decision on based on facts. I haven't even mentioned the amp module element of the SKU argument i.e. having to buy the X7 with no choice of module of which is potentially going to be revised. Someone has said I believe in good humour 'man up'. Yes I can go with that, I have manned up and accept my buying decision (which as it now stands was the wrong one - should have gone for the Mojo). Please don't say this is buyers remorse - it isn't. I just feel let down by Fiio and do not believe this is the way to treat loyal customers who have bought and paid full price for products. I can now either enjoy my X7 for what it is or sell it on. I have learned a lesson. I do know for the time being I will not be investing any more money in Fiio products. As always I respect peoples differing opinion,s but what I do find troubling is some attitudes towards other peoples money - be free and easy with your own if you so wish but not others.

Anyway I am getting extremely boring and repetitive now (never good when you can recognise this yourself) so if you don't want me post don't quote me!

I litterally bought mine last week. I'll probably just return mine and wait or get something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back