FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Jan 16, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #8,432 of 18,020
I have sen a few reviews calling out the X7 for battery life.

I have done some tests and Im getting a target of 18 hours playback if you don't use the screen (I know, not happening - but thats how sony gets 33 with the NW-ZX2 - I have tested that too)

BUT, the X7 has the little blue blink light on - and that sucks power like having the screen on.

Settings->Display->Pulsar Light->Working- Set to OFF

And then redo your reviews.

Anyone here review it without turning it off/ with turning it off.

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #8,433 of 18,020
I miss my x7, sent it back at the weekend for replacment. Really wish it voild gave been sorted before I kived. I am guessing anither week brfore tge replacment arrives. Just hope it is not a hisser
frown.gif

same here. I've send my unit back on Jan 2nd and received my refund. Now i'm just waiting for the right time to buy back once the QC is sharper to avoid the same wifi emi noise issue.  Have to be honest, i am getting tired of waiting so might cave in soon.  So tired of waiting i was actually considering maybe the Onkyo DP-X1, but i think i'll stick to the X7 for the removable amp module design.  

Curious where did you buy yours from and are you getting a replacement or just repurchasing back like me?

Jan 16, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #8,434 of 18,020
  AT CES i have tested a couple of DAP's to ba able to decide which one I would buy to replace my Iphone or Ipod 5.5 with E12A combos. I tested A&K 120 and 240, Pioneer DP100R and the Onkyo version and a couple of Hifiman devices. The 2nd day my choice was down to the Pioneer and the FIIO X7, both sounded equally fine and as good as the more expensive options (to my ears) the way they were presented at the show and were a lot cheaper than the A&K players. Next to that both could also run Spottify and Tidal which would make my music listening experience much more convenient. My preferred device was the Pioneer because it seemed to be more mature than the FIIO
As a last test I tried my own UE5 Pro CIEM's on both devices and strangely the Pioneer completely failed this test, It really sounded bad, the amp was apparently not capable of controlling the balanced drivers where the FIIO had no problems at all controlling the UE5 pro. 
That combined with a CES last day discount made me buy the X7. 

Now that I have the X7 I am very happy with the sound (especially of well mastered hi res content) but the device is not without flaws, maybe I should say it is not ready yet. 

Compared what I expected reading the specs in the advertising:
- The music player works well with local music but I cannot get any DNLA/UPNP content to play, the button for this does not react al all.
- VU meters are completely missing.
- Custom mapping of buttons is not possible.
- Lyrics is very difficult to include with audio
- Firmware is not stable, crashes sometimes.
- If you are listening to Spotify and Tidal has been used before this than Tidal reacts to the hard buttons and not Spotify. (So pressing Pause in Spottify results in Tidal to start Playing
- Album art (Spottify and Tidal) is sometimes visible on the lock screen and sometimes not. It looks like the FIIO music software must be started and not used to show the Album art of the streaming devises.
- The name of the current playing song in the Lock screen only updates after pressing sleep 2 times. (Otherwise It will show the previous song)

All of these are minor glitches but I hope they will be fixed soon.

Next to that I also heard the noise when using WIFI but I only heard in a hotel sitting close to some kind of Airconditioning system, it sounds like an AM radio. At home I have not hear it at all.

Next to all these remarks I still think it is a very nice sounding player with a capable AMP and would buy it again without hesitation.

Curious why you choose the Pioneer over the Onkyo DP-X1 as that is the higher model version with better internal parts to my understanding.  Can you comment the sonic difference between X7 and DPX1.  I returned my X7 due to the wifi emi noise. Either going to buy back once the QC is improved or go for another DAP like the DPX1.

How much was the discount on the X7 at CES? Darn maybe i should have went this year LOL.

So at home you don't have any wifi EMI noise issues at all with any sensitive earphones/headphones while streaming (eg. Tidal, Spotify) ?

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #8,435 of 18,020
  Any DLNA experience feedback?

DLNA does not currently work with the FiiO Music app, so nobody knows as of yet how it works there.

However, you can download other DLNA apps from Google Play Store and they work fine. Personally, I have had no problems with my Windows computer acting as a foobar2000 DLNA server and using the BubbleUPNP app on the X7.

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #8,436 of 18,020
Can someone give more details about the K5 that has one for review? Would you purchase it? Does it drive all your headphones with issues?

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #8,437 of 18,020

Curious why you choose the Pioneer over the Onkyo DP-X1 as that is the higher model version with better internal parts to my understanding.  Can you comment the sonic difference between X7 and DPX1.  I returned my X7 due to the wifi emi noise. Either going to buy back once the QC is improved or go for another DAP like the DPX1.

How much was the discount on the X7 at CES? Darn maybe i should have went this year LOL.

So at home you don't have any wifi EMI noise issues at all with any sensitive earphones/headphones while streaming (eg. Tidal, Spotify) ?

I tested the Onkyo as well, but this was not available on the market yet, Pioneer could be ordered from Amazon and delivered next day. Next to that I'm not interested in a balanced output.  Switching rooms, different music and not my own music I could not hear any difference compared to the Pioneer.

If used with easy to drive headphones I can not tell the difference because they were in different buildings and I had an hour between listening to them. Wat was very obvious was that the Pioneer simply could not drive the UE5 pro. But the UE5 is actually sensitive and does not need a lot of power to play loud. But apparently it still needs a very good amp.  Basically the amp in the pioneer was not able get decent bass out of these IEM's no body at all. The X7 has no issue at all.   

20% of $ price, no tax.

No Emi noise at home, I only heard the noise at the Fairfield inn in Irving (near DFW airport) with all kinds of Air conditioners in heating mode.

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #8,438 of 18,020
I tested the Onkyo as well, but this was not available on the market yet, Pioneer could be ordered from Amazon and delivered next day. Next to that I'm not interested in a balanced output.  Switching rooms, different music and not my own music I could not hear any difference compared to the Pioneer.

If used with easy to drive headphones I can not tell the difference because they were in different buildings and I had an hour between listening to them. Wat was very obvious was that the Pioneer simply could not drive the UE5 pro. But the UE5 is actually sensitive and does not need a lot of power to play loud. But apparently it still needs a very good amp.  Basically the amp in the pioneer was not able get decent bass out of these IEM's no body at all. The X7 has no issue at all.   

20% of $ price, no tax.

No Emi noise at home, I only heard the noise at the Fairfield inn in Irving (near DFW airport) with all kinds of Air conditioners in heating mode.

Wow 20% is a great deal. That's $520 usd net cost if they were selling for $649.99 reg price. Even with the wifi noise issue I would not care if I got it for this price point.

Jan 16, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #8,439 of 18,020
I got it for 500, but no box at 2pm last day.  (You can buy a lot of stuff the last day at CES, not everyone wants to ship everything back home)

What I actually found most interesting at the booth was that they copied my Business Card design. I gave them my business card last year (Plastic Transparant with a Qr Code on it) and this year they had exact the same design. We have had this design for more than 20 years and it was the first time I saw someone else with it. They even admitted that they copied it from someone who visited the booth last year and when I showed mine again they said: "hey that was you!".  So maybe they discounted me for that. :wink:

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #8,441 of 18,020
  I have been using the K5 and it does a fine job and work as advertised. Any other users here of the K5? 

I have posted my initial impression, and then copied it over with an update in K5 thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/740441/k5-fiios-new-docking-desktop-amp-how-do-you-like-it-update-2015-07-06-final-design-published/120#post_12223533

Btw, when I mentioned about lack of usb drivers for PC connection, I forgot that I was testing it with X7 which doesn't have usb drivers available yet.  K5 is a docking amp.  It will bypass X1/X3ii/X5ii/X7 internal amp to send LO to its own external amp which does a great job.  Or, you can use any of these DAPs with a proprietary 11-pin usb cable from the usb dock input in the back of K5.  There is also USB Input on the back for connection from PC where the digital out goes to the DAC of your DAP and out of LO to K5 amp.  For now it should work with X1/X3ii/X5ii which have USB DAC drivers available, but not X7 yet.

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #8,442 of 18,020

DLNA does not currently work with the FiiO Music app, so nobody knows as of yet how it works there.

However, you can download other DLNA apps from Google Play Store and they work fine. Personally, I have had no problems with my Windows computer acting as a foobar2000 DLNA server and using the BubbleUPNP app on the X7.

Thank you for the info. But If I play DSD files, it will be downsampled?

Jan 16, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #8,443 of 18,020

I got it for 500 usd back in october :p heck of a deal imo

How was this possible? Where did you buy from? Cheapest i see now is $649.99 usd.

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #8,444 of 18,020

How was this possible? Where did you buy from? Cheapest i see now is $649.99 usd.

I paid $560 (and that is including 23% tax, so it was $455 before tax) thanks to a preorder deal offered by local FiiO distributor.

Jan 17, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #8,445 of 18,020

... I returned my X7 due to the wifi emi noise. Either going to buy back once the QC is improved or go for another DAP like the DPX1.

It's difficult to read between the lines of the fanboy puffery on the DP-X1 thread but doing so suggests that there are potentially serious questions over its SQ, in particular with third-party streaming apps.

I was on the verge of importing one but would not do so now until I have had the chance to hear it myself.

If FiiO get the balanced amp implementation right I'm convinced they'll have a massive winner. I just hope they can resolve the offline storage to SD card issue too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back