FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 18, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #7,276 of 18,020
As a happy owner of FiiO x5ii I'm wondering if anyone has done a comparison with x7. How different are they as far as sound quality goes? Also I use tags to navigate and the x5ii is frustrating on that account. I want to be able to go genre>album>songs and not just genre>songs as in x5ii. Also is there a composer tag field in x7?. Thanks in advance

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #7,277 of 18,020
As a happy owner of FiiO x5ii I'm wondering if anyone has done a comparison with x7. How different are they as far as sound quality goes? Also I use tags to navigate and the x5ii is frustrating on that account. I want to be able to go genre>album>songs and not just genre>songs as in x5ii. Also is there a composer tag field in x7?. Thanks in advance

You can check out my review. :)

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x7/reviews/14810

Or Brooko's review

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x7/reviews/14456

Or twister6's review

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x7/reviews/14660

Or many others. :wink:

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #7,279 of 18,020
Pairing the X7 with the big guns now...

At first listen, I was unimpressed. My ears craved the immaculate rendering of Balanced AK120ii>Angie. This is clearly not that. It feels like a threshold or two behind.

It's been so long since I listened to Angie on the Astell&Kern in single-ended. And I'm not going to... not for a few days at least. I want to get familiar with the X7 first. I have a headphone switcher box coming in the mail, and once that's in, I'll be able to do real A/B testing. So I shall give the X7 and Angie a chance to properly acquaint themselves.

I can say this pairing is already growing on me. There is nothing wrong with the sound, it's simply not that balanced goodness the AK120ii does so very well..

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #7,280 of 18,020
Is it possible to use Line Out without attached Amp module?

I heard that bass on X7 is too heavy with bass heavy headphones, is it true? (for example with Lear Audio LCM BD4.2)

Does Amp module means that FiiO won't update X7 to new version (ii, iii, etc.)? Since, FiiO in the future can just update existing Amp module and ship same X7 but with updated module?

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #7,281 of 18,020

I heard that bass on X7 is too heavy with bass heavy headphones, is it true? (for example with Lear Audio LCM BD4.2)

Does Amp module means that FiiO won't update X7 to new version (ii, iii, etc.)? Since, FiiO in the future can just update existing Amp module and ship same X7 but with updated module?

Isn't the LO on the top? Do you just want to make it a bit shorter? 

I don't have mine yet (probably Monday) so don't know if it is too bass heavy. 

Very much doubt they won't , there are still other things that can be upgraded, CPU, DAC, screen,hardware controls, battery... So am sure they will be making new versions of it in the future. The amp module is primarily there to allow for different amps not to upgrade the whole of the unit (though they have hinted that they might add a module with an micro SD card slot which is cool.

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #7,282 of 18,020
You can check out my review. :)

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x7/reviews/14810

Or Brooko's review

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x7/reviews/14456

Or twister6's review

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x7/reviews/14660

Or many others. :wink:

So according to brooko's review the UI still goes genre>songs. Bummer as I prefer tags to folder browsing.
James@fiio, any updates that'll correct this?

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #7,283 of 18,020
My review was written with original firmware - and the unit I had is now on tour so I can't check the latest firmware changes.

Maybe Alex (Twister) can advise if there have been any changes in the last 3 revisions.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #7,284 of 18,020
  My review was written with original firmware - and the unit I had is now on tour so I can't check the latest firmware changes.

Maybe Alex (Twister) can advise if there have been any changes in the last 3 revisions.

I still see it as Genre -> all Songs list under that genre.  But as you know, I'm a poor example of sorting since my songs are not well organized
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #7,285 of 18,020

No

Clear and definitive "No".

I used several IEM and it displayed no favoritism to the low end. Zero.
It had FW 1.0 or 1.1

Personally I hope DAC's don't do that as I enjoy doing it myself. I had to do it myself with the X7. The Wolfson wm8740 has a warm kinda feel but all others seem a tad bright if they favor anything at all.

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #7,286 of 18,020

1. You can, but that is a terrible idea to leave the lower socket all expose, plus there are some sharp corners inside that help to secure the amp module in place but are not exactly touch-friendly.

2. Never find the bass to be heavy at all.

3. Don't know how or why you get that idea. Of course FiiO will want to update the X7 in due time. Regardless of how well a product is designed, eventually some parts will run out (in this case, the SoC will probably going to be obsoleted and discontinued in a few years) that will force FiiO to redesign the player. The real question is whether there will be a DAC chip that will worth upgrade to when the time comes.

p/s:... and don't confuse 'bass heavy' with tighter bass control - I often find people confuse the two. When driven by a sub-par, under-powered source, bass can sound soft and often sloppy. Some people like (or just get used to) that kind of bass but it is not exact an accurate reproduction of how bass note should sound like. A good source will give the same bass note the proper weight and transient it should have, and the same people will suddenly find the bass becomes 'heavy', but in reality that is how bass note should have sound like.

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #7,287 of 18,020
X7 arrived yesterday, nice quick delivery from AMP3.  

Got a couple of possible minor issues that I can't say I noticed witht he loaner version so hoping it can be sorted with FW updates.

1 - Some interference when listening to streamed tracks on Spotify, no issue with downloaded tracks only streamed, kind of like a brushing noise in the background.

2 - WiFi is not very strong, in room upstairs where phone and laptop get good connections the X7 struggles.

Like I say hopefully these can be fixed with FW because this is a very good DAP, listening to tracks through the Fiio player with my Senn IE800 was a joy.  Really nice detail and a nice wide soundstage but with nice warmth to the sound thrown in.  
Compared to my Mojo/Android pairing - The X7 cannot match the level of detail that the Mojo gives but it does give the music a certain presentation that it makes it a worth while companion to the Mojo. 

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #7,288 of 18,020
Hii Guys

I mostly use streaming to listen to my music due to an eclectic taste in music, does the Fiio marketplace include a good selection of streaming services? Spotify and tidal? I live in the uk. Anymore? Easy to install?

Does the eq work with streaming services?

Can you update this without a computer, download the updates directly to the device then update? Looks like updates are on the site.

Has this got enough power to drive a hd600 or 650?

Thanks

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #7,289 of 18,020
Hii Guys

I mostly use streaming to listen to my music due to an eclectic taste in music, does the Fiio marketplace include a good selection of streaming services? Spotify and tidal? I live in the uk. Anymore? Easy to install?

Can you update this without a computer, download the updates directly to the device then update? Looks like updates are on the site.

Thanks

Not with this amp module

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #7,290 of 18,020
Hii Guys

Thanks

I was about to respond with some exasperation, reminding you that the X7 ships with the IEM amp module, and it couldn't possibly do a sufficient job driving 300 Ohm headphones.

Then I thought, "Maybe I should test this theory first."

It does! The X7 powers my HD600 shockingly well with the IEM module. At 75% volume on High Gain, you get decent loudness and decent bass impact.

Not as good as a proper desktop amp, but enough to thoroughly enjoy yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back