FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 17, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #7,246 of 18,020
You are wonderfully confused. With the X5, you just put the firmware on an SD, hold down two buttons, and the unit updates on its own. Super easy.

I just remember it being very difficult before, I had a lot of trouble doing it and I think I remember having to reformat a card, download a zip file, run a program to upload it and then install it in some sort of sub-file or directory. I eventually gave up updating because it was such a hassle for me. I was just curious if they've got something like Apple where you just hit update and it does the rest. 

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #7,247 of 18,020
I found updating the X7 very confusing. But once you figure it out, it's probably more straight forward. Infinitely more so now that it can be done over wifi.

Dec 17, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #7,248 of 18,020
a question about streaming services

where is offline content stored ?  is it to the onboard memory or can it be directed to a bigger sd card ?

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #7,249 of 18,020
Someone got a new toy to play with. And just in time for Christmas.
biggrin.gif

The new firmware, I believe, has added a level of dynamics I felt lacking with v1.3. Take that with a healthy dose of skeptisism, since I had very little time testing v1.3 before I updated.

No skepticism or 'fine' grain of salt, you are right on the money with sound improvement from v1.3 to v1.4, both dynamics and transparency have improved.

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #7,250 of 18,020
Thanks, Twist-man. It's good to know it's not just me.

With v1.3 I felt it was good and clear sounding, but sort of boring. At least compared to the AK120ii.
With v1.4 it grew even more clear, and really came alive, making the music very difficult to walk away from.

Dec 17, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #7,252 of 18,020
  Is it any easier to update the FW this time around, I remember it was like a 15 step hassle with the X5

Really easy - described in my review

Software Upates
I was really surprised how easy these are.  Download the zip file.  Connect the X7 to your computer.  Copy and paste the zip file (I just use the downloads folder).  Now from the home menu, tap Support, Update, navigate to the folder, select the update to apply, tap OK and let the X7 do the rest.

I put a couple of screenshots expressly showing an update in progress too.

And I think with the latest updates (the unit I has is on tour) it is even easier

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #7,254 of 18,020
I believe FiiO's use of OTG is for expanded storage, not to be used as a transport. For digital out you have coaxial on FiiO devices. It would be nice if FiiO could confirm though.

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #7,256 of 18,020
I don't know if it's because of the firmware, but the X7's sound is really growing on me! I've been listening to a variety of genres to see exactly what the X7 is capable of.

With that said, I still notice some issues. These were brought up before, but I will list them because they're still going on after 1.4:
  1. If I do something like playing Spotify for a while and try to go to the regular player later, the X7 can't read my files. It says "format not supported." I have to restart and scan files to fix this.
  2. The volume difference between Spotify and the regular place is annoying. I shouldn't have to change it 20 notches whenever I switch back and forth. I hope there's a way to fix this.
  3. If I unlock the screen while Spotify is playing, sometimes it'll list a file from my stored files instead of the current Spotify track. This might lead to accidentally playing 2 tracks at the same time when you hit the play button.

Even so, I'm still enjoying the player. I figured it would still be buggy on release anyway. I'm most looking forward to that DAC functionality!

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #7,258 of 18,020
  a question about streaming services

where is offline content stored ?  is it to the onboard memory or can it be directed to a bigger sd card ?

That will depend on the streaming service app settings. 

Spotify automatically selects the location with the greatest spare capacity. Tidal is better in that it offers a user selectable option for the storage location. I'm not familiar with other services.

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #7,259 of 18,020

That will depend on the streaming service app settings. 

Spotify automatically selects the location with the greatest spare capacity. Tidal is better in that it offers a user selectable option for the storage location. I'm not familiar with other services.

You just reminded me that I get occasional issues with Spotify claiming it can't download because there is no storage space left. The thing is I have 75 GB free on my card. Not sure what's going on. Maybe this is tied with the ordinary player sometimes not being able to read my files. I hope my card hasn't gone bad. I bought a new 128 GB card just for the X7.

Dec 18, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #7,260 of 18,020
I believe FiiO's use of OTG is for expanded storage, not to be used as a transport. For digital out you have coaxial on FiiO devices. It would be nice if FiiO could confirm though.

The OTG audio features will be added in the future. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back