FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Nov 12, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #6,601 of 18,020
  A more powerful module will render the ability of fine volume tuning for IEMs very very hard. So small moves of the volume control will result in relatively big jumps in volume. Also more powerful AMP modules have the tendency to hiss on sensitive IEMs and even some easier to drive headphones.

In that respect FIIO couldn't please everybody and I think they went with the idea that the X7 is meant for portable scenarios where Orthos and tough to drive headphones is the exception not the norm.

In any case no DAP works well with everything and although the choice of adding an AMP to suit your needs is available through stacking I find the solution rather combersome. This is what I do with my iPhone but I really struggle with the practicalities of it all and this is why I am looking for an Android DAP. FIIOs solution is better , you can still use your own AMP if stacking is ok but you will have the choice of a better/different AMP, without stacking, through modules.

I am not sold on the X7 just yet but I really struggle to fault both the AMP as a module solution as well as the inclusion of an IEM oriented AMP module as the default.

yes, I guess someone will ask us remove the DAC so they can use it with HUGO mojo and someting else when we remove the IEM module. 
L3000.gif

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 12, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #6,602 of 18,020
Not had time to read the whole thread as its a big job already keeping up with the Chord Mojo thread!

Some quick questions I need to know before considering a pre-order that's just shown in UK.

1. Can it use Tidal/Spotify including offline and if so, what's battery life like streaming lossless via Tidal
  2. Will in work with Android cables with controls? I have my Shure SE846's with 3 button control which didn't function with the Sony ZX2 but work great on a Note4/S6
  3. Am I right in thinking it won't work with an external DAC like to Mojo even with the likes of UAPP app?
  4. How would you compare the DAC/AMP to the Likes of the Mojo or ZX2, in the same class
  5. SE846's easily reveal background hiss, is the noise floor silent
  6. Nearly same size as the ZX2 which is also Android, is this only rated at 10hrs or is that worse case as the ZX2 seems much higher (or is this why ZX2 much more expensive!)

Thanks

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #6,603 of 18,020

yes, I guess someone will ask us remove the DAC so they can use it with HUGO mojo and someting else when we remove the IEM module. 
L3000.gif

Well may be Hugo should build an amp module for the X7 for the HUGO fans ^^

I'm very happy with your choices so far James, your approach is coherent, you deserve support so it's why I pre-ordered the X7 :)

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #6,605 of 18,020
  A more powerful module will render the ability of fine volume tuning for IEMs very very hard. So small moves of the volume control will result in relatively big jumps in volume. Also more powerful AMP modules have the tendency to hiss on sensitive IEMs and even some easier to drive headphones.

None of this was an issue with the X5ii. Even on high gain, the X5ii has a perfectly silent noise floor with my SE846 (and these IEMs hiss with virtually everything else). The low gain option is there if you want more fine-grained volume control. I like the look of the X7 and it may still be on my shopping list, but I'm still not understanding the logic in a lower-powered default amp.

Nov 12, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #6,606 of 18,020
  None of this was an issue with the X5ii. Even on high gain, the X5ii has a perfectly silent noise floor with my SE846 (and these IEMs hiss with virtually everything else). The low gain option is there if you want more fine-grained volume control. I like the look of the X7 and it may still be on my shopping list, but I'm still not understanding the logic in a lower-powered default amp.

Not looked into X5ii too much to be honst, is the X5ii Amp a lot more powerful than the X7 then?

Nov 12, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #6,607 of 18,020

Quote:

Not looked into X5ii too much to be honst, is the X5ii Amp a lot more powerful than the X7 then?

I've not yet heard the X7, but specs show its IEM amp is a bit weaker than that of the X5ii:

X5ii: > 245 mW into 32 ohms.
X7:   > 100 mW into 32 ohms.

The X5ii also seems to have higher S/N ratio and a slightly lower output impedance than that of the X7.

Nov 12, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #6,609 of 18,020
Not had time to read the whole thread as its a big job already keeping up with the Chord Mojo thread!

Some quick questions I need to know before considering a pre-order that's just shown in UK.

• How would you compare the DAC/AMP to the Likes of the Mojo or ZX2, in the same class
  • SE846's easily reveal background hiss, is the noise floor silent
  • Nearly same size as the ZX2 which is also Android, is this only rated at 10hrs or is that worse case as the ZX2 seems much higher (or is this why ZX2 much more expensive!)

Thanks

Others will help you better with your first three questions. As for the other questions here's my take on it.

[*] The DAC is very good, surprisingly good to my ears. I prefer the Mojo but not for any reasons of the X7 being bad, just a bit different. The DAC implementation is really really good in the X7. The Mojo just outputs the analogue stage of the DAC so there is no seperate 'amp section'. It's like full time line out with volume control. The Mojo is MUCH more powerful than the X7 IEM amp module. The IEM module from the X7 seemed fine for my JH Angie, no complaints here.

[*] The X7 IEM amp module should be fine for the SE846. I have no direct SE846 experience with the X7 though.

[*] Sony's S-master DAC/amp configuration is class d and very efficient, but not very powerful. The implementation of the DAC/amp is different in the X7. The power entering the components is important and I suspect that is a big reason why the battery life is so different between the ZX2 and many other players. The average life I got was 8-9 hours on the X7.

Nov 12, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #6,610 of 18,020
Others will help you better with your first three questions. As for the other questions here's my take on it.

[*] The DAC is very good, surprisingly good to my ears. I prefer the Mojo but not for any reasons of the X7 being bad, just a bit different. The DAC implementation is really really good in the X7. The Mojo just outputs the analogue stage of the DAC so there is no seperate 'amp section'. It's like full time line out with volume control. The Mojo is MUCH more powerful than the X7 IEM amp module. The IEM module from the X7 seemed fine for my JH Angie, no complaints here.

[*] The X7 IEM amp module should be fine for the SE846. I have no direct SE846 experience with the X7 though.

[*] Sony's S-master DAC/amp configuration is class d and very efficient, but not very powerful. The implementation of the DAC/amp is different in the X7. The power entering the components is important and I suspect that is a big reason why the battery life is so different between the ZX2 and many other players. The average life I got was 8-9 hours on the X7.

Do you know of any modern DAP's that use true Class-A amps?  Aside from the Questyle ones which use their Current Mode Amplification. . .

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #6,611 of 18,020
Do you know of any modern DAP's that use true Class-A amps?  Aside from the Questyle ones which use their Current Mode Amplification. . .

Class A amplification doesn't make a lot of sense in a DAP given the inefficient nature of it. AFAIK class A/B is the most common.

Nov 12, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #6,612 of 18,020
Class A amplification doesn't make a lot of sense in a DAP given the inefficient nature of it. AFAIK class A/B is the most common.

What type are the Fiio players using?  And is the Current Mode tech in the Questyle QP1R considered to be A/B, or what?

Nov 12, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #6,613 of 18,020
What type are the Fiio players using?  And is the Current Mode tech in the Questyle QP1R considered to be A/B, or what?

The Questyle DAPs are class A. The current mode amplification is different from typical voltage amplification, and I believe more efficient (don't quote me on that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back