FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Apr 15, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #3,361 of 18,020
Sorry, I've just browsed the setting. The sleep timer is actually there but I guess it will not reset itself by navigating. The best feature would be an automatically resettable sleep timer. Say, I configured it one time only for 1 hour and any time I turn on the player it would be set for 1 hour from now on but it would reset itself any time I navigate the interface, hence I wouldn't have to return to settings any more to turn it off or prolong if I want to use the player longer than the time set. Sounds complicated though.

The only thing you would have to keep in mind is that it is always set to 1 hour even after a reboot cycle and if you don't navigate the interface (control volume, change songs, etc), the player would turn itself off. Keep it simple principle where you don't need to access the settings any longer - set it and forget.

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #3,362 of 18,020
Sorry, I've just browsed the setting. The sleep timer is actually there but I guess it will not reset itself by navigating. The best feature would be an automatically resettable sleep timer. Say, I configured it one time only for 1 hour and any time I turn on the player it would be set for 1 hour from now on but it would reset itself any time I navigate the interface, hence I wouldn't have to return to settings any more to turn it off or prolong if I want to use the player longer than the time set. Sounds complicated though.

The only thing you would have to keep in mind is that it is always set to 1 hour even after a reboot cycle and if you don't navigate the interface (control volume, change songs, etc), the player would turn itself off. Keep it simple principle where you don't need to access the settings any longer - set it and forget.

I believe they fixed this with the X5 2.5 FW.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/762128/fiio-x5-firmware-2-50-download-and-discussion

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #3,363 of 18,020
I wish the new player has the replaygain and ability to sync lyrics functionality :)

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #3,364 of 18,020
I have a question about battery. How many of you have the X5 and still have the battery going strong after a recharge?  Just afraid to spend $350 or more on a DAP knowing that I have to throw it away in a couple of years.  Why not add removable battery to the X7?

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #3,365 of 18,020
I have a question about battery. How many of you have the X5 and still have the battery going strong after a recharge?  Just afraid to spend $350 or more on a DAP knowing that I have to throw it away in a couple of years.  Why not add removable battery to the X7?

I've had the X5 since it was first released and it's battery is still going strong. Some X3 users had a replacement battery sent to them for $15 with instructions on how to replace it (it has a connector). I'm not worried in the least that FiiO will help its customers with any battery issues down the road.

The battery discusion has been discussed at length in this thread. Do a search and be prepared to read for a while. The short story is that it's easier to fit more battery in the device for longer run time when not having to make room for the connector bay and battery casings. It's the route FiiO has chosen with their DAPs and it's not going to change on the X7.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #3,366 of 18,020

do not worry so much. 

the batterry is pretty much fine, it will wear out eventually, but i think that your passion for the device will wear before battery.

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #3,367 of 18,020

I preordered my X5 on B&H and was one of the early recipients. I use mine daily, sometimes with the E12, sometimes without, driving IEMs, earbuds and full-size cans, from Grados to Beyers to Fostex T50 mods.

The battery still works perfectly.

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #3,368 of 18,020
Thank You for all the answers.  I was just worried because I had been reading nightmare stories of people trying to replace the battery of the X5 and damaging the pcb, etc...also my iPod Classic is still going strong, just wasn't sure how good are the batteries on Fiio devices as my only Fiio device is the E11 headphone amp with removable battery.   I guess I may try the X3 2nd gen. 

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #3,369 of 18,020
  Thank You for all the answers.  I was just worried because I had been reading nightmare stories of people trying to replace the battery of the X5 and damaging the pcb, etc...also my iPod Classic is still going strong, just wasn't sure how good are the batteries on Fiio devices as my only Fiio device is the E11 headphone amp with removable battery.   I guess I may try the X3 2nd gen. 

it is a bother to worry always. i have a cowon j3 from 2010, the battery lasted around 10 hours[of 40 promised] the first days. now it lasts 9 hours, with daily usage for almost 5 years...

Fiio does not make the batteries, they just integrate them, most will last a life, if you charge your dap daily, not let it completley consume battery always, and take care of it in general.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #3,370 of 18,020
  /rant
/end rant

Studies have proven over and over again that our ears can't hear the difference between 192kbs, let alone 320kbps, and raw sound files.

And of course I am a premium subscriber so the point about it being only 320kbs for subscribers only is moot. 

And of course there is a real reason to want to hear Spotify through a premium DAP instead of iPhone due to the much better DAC and amp. There is a gigantic difference in sound between the iPhone and a premium DAP and it isn't due to higher bit rates. It is from the DAC and amp.

And sure, I could run the signal through an external DAC but the point is PORTABILITY. Why would I want to have two or three devices taped together when the point is to have it being as portable as possible?

Just because it might not be something you care about doesn't mean it isn't something a lot of other people would appreciate, because the fact is, it is.

Sorry for being snippish but your post was pointlessly catty and obnoxious. 

BTW, you don't need a high powered attena to listen to Spotify. When you are a premium subscriber it copies the songs to your player so you can listen to them WITHOUT being on internet. 

I agree. I'm searching for a DAP for exactly this purpose.  What did you end up with?

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #3,371 of 18,020
  Not to rain on your analogy but yes people do ask for more seats in lamborghini's.  There has been over 5 models with 4 seats or more over the years due to demand for this feature.  Here's a recent article on a more modern model.  http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exotic/1201_2012_lamborghini_aventador_lp_700_4_test/photo_11.html

Your definition of high-end means a dap should just a few things perfectly and they must be the 4 things you want (subjective I know).  Well, I think a high-end DAP should do a lot perfectly.  Being able to listen to common music services is a plus for me.  I hate listening to it on my phone.  It is a low quality DAC, output is low and it gets interrupted by text and phone calls.

If you think Fiio is in business for the love of audio only then you are surely misled.  They have a business to run and appealing to more people provides them with more revenue which provides for more profit which provides for growing the business which should also provide for more research & development to make better products.

They are not trying to be lower quality.  They are not trying to subplant apple.  They are passionate about features audiophiles want.  All due respect why is having access to spotify and wifi such a bad thing.  You can turn wifi off generally if you are listening to lossless formats locally.

If someone listens to spotify they must not be an audiophile I guess. If you are such a purist how do you listen and find new music.  I guess if you listen to spotify on the phone then your audiophile card is now revoked.  If you listen to the radio, card revoked.  If you listen to anything less than DSD or live music in a controlled environment, your audiophile card is now revoked.  Comments like the above are the reason new people sometimes cringe at audiophile elite smugness and we deter new people interested in moving up the quality chain in their listening habits.

Please!

I would like to add to this that a good solution is the Sound Blaster E5.  Its multipoint connection and uses NFC/Bluetooth. The sound is great and you can stream whatever you'd like (spotify) through it using your phone.

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #3,372 of 18,020
James, would you consider a double 3.5mm balanced output version? Instead of 4 pin out put.
Would be easier to pair up with headphones such like Sony XBA Z5, I know that how Pono player did it. 

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #3,373 of 18,020
  James, would you consider a double 3.5mm balanced output version? Instead of 4 pin out put.
Would be easier to pair up with headphones such like Sony XBA Z5, I know that how Pono player did it. 

this actually has been discussed earlier, fiio does 4 pin version, because fiio also does recabling, and they preffer the connection. Isn't it possible for you to buy an adapter from 4 pin to everything else?

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #3,374 of 18,020
  this actually has been discussed earlier, fiio does 4 pin version, because fiio also does recabling, and they preffer the connection. Isn't it possible for you to buy an adapter from 4 pin to everything else?

I guess so, if fiio sells them in China... 
Just cannot wait for this thing to come out.
I bought an x3ii to bridge the gap, it worked pretty well with my Pandora Hope vi, then I changed to Sony Z5, got the feeling that this match ain't blessed... 

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #3,375 of 18,020

sorry not.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back