FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 28, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #1,921 of 18,020
  Tubes! Glorious tubes!
biggrin.gif

You genius!

Suddenly my coffee tastes even better this morning :)

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #1,922 of 18,020

I doubt it will be much different. Look at the Hifiman DAPs. If X7 turns out to be exactly the same size as X5, then the "flash" factor is an added bonus. Also having a module is much sturdier and offer more protection than just a circuit board. Especially, if you find yourself swapping amps a lot.
bigsmile_face.gif

I still stand by what I said - I feel that including a chunk of the chassis with the amp modules is potentially less efficient with space. However, your comment did make me smile - I don't disagree that the HM-901 isn't, overall, a small DAP
k701smile.gif

I also prefer the x7 amp modules over the Hm-901 amp cards. It is less primitive.

Yeah, it's less primitive, but at what space cost?

To be clear: I actually agree that it's a slicker approach, but... well... see my above remark.

Owning the 901, I can say this is a great idea, much more ergonomic than swappable amp cards IMO. Congrats James.

Originally Posted by JamesFiiO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

" If I have seen farther than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants. By Newton."

Hahaha... err....yes, the HM-901 certainly is a 'giant', but not in the way you or Newton meant it
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #1,923 of 18,020
Given what it can do, the HM-901 is quite the wonder of a player packing all that goodness inside.

I believe the HM-901 internal amp card design was after careful consideration, not to mention a 3-point locking system (connector teeth + 2 locking points) to ensure the amp card will hold its place regardless of changes.  

Am hoping the X7 will be able to deliver all the goodies in the compact space of an X5, without much compromise.
The amp module is a nice touch, just need to ensure the attachment mechanism holds the module tight enough over the course of usage.
And since a modular approach was taken, perhaps the battery could be designed in a similar fashion. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #1,924 of 18,020
James, is it possible you create the case the way its not "shiny brushed" but matte magnesium style like, for example, DSLR cameras have? It just looks so much better.

The "Brushed" metal style is just... looking cheap in my opinion and a bit low quality. It also reveals easily scratches and simply... it looks bad :frowning2:

Look below how awesome it looks on nikon camera:

That brushed stuff... it just looks aweful.

If you add simply like above, one of those awesome matte finish- you will have a number 1 product!

It will blow away dx100 and hm901!

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #1,926 of 18,020

No it would not make all happy.

It's an utterly insane idea!

Why on earth should someone have to buy a new amp module just in order to replace a faulty battery?
confused_face(1).gif

I was looking at another possible alternative to retrofit a user replaceable battery since an amp module would have to be swapped in and different amps may have different power requirements.  The user replaceable battery feature is important to me and others that have commented in this thread.  I would rather send an amp module in to have a battery replaced then send my entire DAP.  Calling an idea "utterly insane" is rude and disrespectful. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #1,927 of 18,020

I was looking at another possible alternative to retrofit a user replaceable battery since an amp module would have to be swapped in and different amps may have different power requirements.  The user replaceable battery feature is important to me and others that have commented in this thread.  I would rather send an amp module in to have a battery replaced then send my entire DAP.  Calling an idea "utterly insane" is rude and disrespectful. 

Calling a person utterly insane might be construed as rude or disrespectful, but an idea is just an idea, and no harm done, for or against. I'm sure the idea wasn't offended by being called insane
wink.gif

So please don't get personally offended by something which wasn't personal at all.

This whole thread is chock-full of competing and opposing ideas, with strong opinions being voiced, all over the place. It's all good. None of it really matters. We're all just enthusiastic in our different ways and a bit of banter, back-&-forth is quite harmless
smile.gif

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #1,928 of 18,020

Calling a person utterly insane might be construed as rude or disrespectful, but an idea is just an idea, and no harm done, for or against. I'm sure the idea wasn't offended by being called insane
wink.gif

So please don't get personally offended by something which wasn't personal at all.

This whole thread is chock-full of competing and opposing ideas, with strong opinions being voiced, all over the place. It's all good. None of it really matters. We're all just enthusiastic in our different ways and a bit of banter, back-&-forth is quite harmless
smile.gif

I feel a little insane multiple times every day when I look at all the things I have done. Ideas can be very personal and as such, it could be construed as a personal attack, to demean the idea. I know, I often do warfare on my own ideas. lol 

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #1,929 of 18,020

I feel a little insane multiple times every day when I look at all the things I have done. Ideas can be very personal and as such, it could be construed as a personal attack, to demean the idea. I know, I often do warfare on my own ideas. lol 

Maybe it's a British thing, but playfully bouncing ideas around, in a challenging manner, is quite normal and accepted here - even embraced.

As for being insane - I totally agree!

99.999999% of humankind is insane, crazy, nuts, etc., in a myriad of individual and collective ways, and I'm every bit as crazy as the next person, and the next...

Heck - even life itself seems crazy, much of the time!
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #1,930 of 18,020

Maybe it's a British thing, but playfully bouncing ideas around, in a challenging manner, is quite normal and accepted here - even embraced.

As for being insane - I totally agree!

99.999999% of humankind is insane, crazy, nuts, etc., in a myriad of individual and collective ways, and I'm every bit as crazy as the next person, and the next...

Heck - even life itself seems crazy, much of the time!
biggrin.gif

If, That is If, you believe we were crated by a higher being, I have often said, we were created just smart enough to be dangerous. I would love to be more intelligent and to have the wisdom to go with it. :^) 

As to the modular design for the amp section of the X7, I think it is an excellent idea. Also a different finish would also be nice. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #1,931 of 18,020

Also a different finish would also be nice. 

In a bid to avoid derailing the thread, I'll skip pursuing the philosophical discussion, even though I do find it an entertaining topic.

I don't really mind the brushed aluminium finish, although I would prefer it to be a finer brush, rather than the coarse brushed finish evident in James' current photos.

Sandblasted aluminium is quite nice, but Apple like it, too:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/sandblast-oxidizing-silver-aluminium-pipe-tube_478120437.html

Black-anodised aluminium can look quite nice, too - e.g. first sand-blasted and then black-anodised.

e.g.:

http://madelovinglymade.com/product/personalised-wallet/

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #1,932 of 18,020
A little O.T.,  In general, what is the design looking at to this point?  Wheel or touchscreen?  Battery size (mA)?  X-buttons?  I like the module idea:  Hope it gives the 901 a good run for its money.  I heard a small amount of scoffing on the 901 thread when I mentioned the X7.
I'd just like to hear a summing-up to this point.
Thanks.

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #1,933 of 18,020
  A little O.T.,  In general, what is the design looking at to this point?  Wheel or touchscreen?  Battery size (mA)?  X-buttons?  I like the module idea:  Hope it gives the 901 a good run for its money.  I heard a small amount of scoffing on the 901 thread when I mentioned the X7.
I'd just like to hear a summing-up to this point.
Thanks.

Touchscreen

3700mah

http://www.head-fi.org/t/713735/x7-the-flagship-dap-from-fiio-updated-on-15-12-2014/1545#post_11130590

For more specs, see the first post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/713735/x7-the-flagship-dap-from-fiio-updated-on-15-12-2014#post_10438534

As for the HM-901, I do respect that it may be a very decent-sounding DAP, but it will not remain the best-sounding DAP forever. Time marches on; Technology doesn't stand still...

Fiio have come on leaps & bounds since they entered the DAP market, and look set to continue. None of us yet knows how good the X7 will sound, but it's sure to sound rather good, and I'm sure James & his team will keep pushing the envelope with their DAP designs.

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #1,935 of 18,020

I agree 100% with Greg. Will the battery actually be in the amp module?
Then I could own 2 or more amp modules and send one back to China without worrying about loss, damage, delays and going without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back