FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Dec 14, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #1,531 of 18,020

The X1 has got the highest output resistance out of all X models and would be too much for most of my IEMs at my common listening environment - let's hope that it is a trend FiiO won't continue.

I admit that I didn't follow the X1 threads, so I didn't realise it has high output impedance.

But Fiio are very acutely aware that audiophile DAP users/buyers need very low output impedance, and will refuse to buy a DAP that doesn't take this into account, so I am very confident that the X7 will have a low output impedance.

X1 is Fiio's most mainstream DAP so far, and their cheapest (and perhaps simplest) DAP circuit, so perhaps this is why they didn't strive so hard to maintain low output impedance when they designed it.

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #1,532 of 18,020
With around 2 Ohms, it is not immensely high, but still produces a rolloff of 1dB at 7kHz and 2dB at 10kHz with a Triple.Fi 10 as load.
On the go, I wouldn't really mind, but most of the time I listen in quiet environment where I unfortunately recognize the difference.

I haven't had the X1 myself though but know several measurements with the same outcome showing that output impedance is near 2 Ohms, just as FiiO claimed theirselves.

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #1,533 of 18,020
I did have an iphone 4 , its a compromise at best , with not that high of an SQ, 600 bucks at first release in australia, the size and UI were basically its two strong point.

In comparison the X5 is only a bit bigger, with better power and SQ,only 350 and a serviceable ui

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #1,534 of 18,020
James declared, "not a brick."

James said that Fiio is not interested in copying any other players.

X5 hiss?  Not with my A83s.  

I listen while I walk, so size does matter.  But, just as with a stack such as my former DX50/C5, allowances must be made for size vs. sound quality.  I bought a small belt pouch to carry my equipment.  From the sound of it, the X7 won't be larger/heavier than the X5.

Battery?  I recharge when it's needed.  I've never run out of battery power.  

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #1,535 of 18,020
fiio hinted that x7 is not going to be a brick...

for me it is a letdown, because i would have liked more battery, even if it would have been bigger. but fiio said some hundred posts ago that x7 is not going to be a brick.

size, and weight is not a big concern for most audiophiles anyways, and x5 is not a brick by any definitions...

I beg to differ, x5 is most definitely a brick for me. Wasn't x5 advertised as a portable? It is not truly portable. (Forget the gym, forget walking without jacket , cycling without jacket) It sounds great, but if it ends up sitting on a desk, then you might as well use your home system. This is what happened to me. It sits around unused at home while I end up using sony a17 for portable and my home stereo for 'at home.' X5 is great for taking places where it will not move, like a desk at work.
Does fiio consider x5 a brick? Probably not. x7 will be at least the same size then.

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #1,536 of 18,020

Maybe not for can-fans, but for IEM/CIEM fans, who do not necessarily carry a rucksack, and who like to listen whilst walking around town, size and weight are quite a big concern, and the audiophile DAP marketplace repeatedly underestimates this fact.

+1 on that. I like the size/shape/weight of this upcoming ihifi 800 dap:

100 x 49 x 15mm @ 110g

I'll have to look through the thread to find out the supposed size/weight of the X7, but it if was close to the above, that would sit very well with me.

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #1,537 of 18,020
You can beg all you want, as is your right.  One's man's brick is another man's portable device.  To me the X5 is good-sized but not a brick.  If I want a shirt pocket device I carry my X1.  But for "real" listening on the go I use the X5.  And I pretty much only listen on the go.  So, to me, it's portable.  Truly portable.  Wonderfully portable.  By my definition, portable.

My wife has a couple of iPods Classics which are pretty good sized, though smaller by a bit than the X5.  But she has a Nano (as do I) and those are teeny-tiny.  Yet she carries the Classics around all the time.  The Nano is for the treadmill.  I use my Nano in my classroom so my little brats won't steal my X1.

If you feel the X5 is too big to exercise with, use an X1 or something tiny.  It's a tool box, use the tool that fits the job.  

Stating "Wasn't x5 advertised as a portable? It is not truly portable" doesn't do it, as the majority of us here regard it as a portable device.  Sweeping generalizations should be avoided, because you run the risk of having someone (in this case, me) post a logical refutation of your sweeping generalization.  

Instead, why not say something like, "I find the X5 too big to be carried around, do others feel that way?"  That way, you can start a discussion with like-minded people, and maybe find something that suits you better.  

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #1,538 of 18,020
  I'll have to look through the thread to find out the supposed size/weight of the X7, but it if was close to the above, that would sit very well with me.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/713735/fiio-x7-what-is-your-dream-dap-updated-on-7-11-2014#post_10438534 :

------------------------------------------updated on 7st, Nov, 2014------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1, Dimension:  128*16*64mm

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #1,539 of 18,020
i would be willing to carry a bigger device with better specs any day ...

i cannot do gym with x5, but why would anyone want that... while you are doing something like running, cycling, exercising there is too much noise from inside of your body to be listening to audiophile levels... walking is sometimes ok with audiophile quality, depending on what setup, but the size of the player is not what would stop me as much as isolation of the headphones would do...

i actually dance with the x5 in hand or in the pocket of my pants... not only it is not a brick, it is all the way fine. something bigger for better specs would be just as fine, as long as it would be better..

besides walking, there is literally no need for audiophile levels, you would do fine with a sansa clip, or anything else cheap and small.. the reason it might not be much smaller or lighter would be exactly for people to not use it while running, to not drop it. nobody wants to talk all day with customers that drop a product while doing exercise with it...

like i would ask you, would you jog or bike with a player costing 400$? while i have a bike that costs like less than 100$?... i have a clip+ that costed me 100$, and i can hear little difference while running. mostly because while i run, i cannot hear soundstage, or lots of treble... the sound is different. it is not healthy either to run with music, i stopped some time ago, too prone to accidents...

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #1,541 of 18,020

Then there are already plenty of great-sounding bricks on the market for you.

nein!

they are all much too expensive, much too bad build quality or not having good sq

hifiman has lots of bugs, like restarting randomly, stopping from playing if you move it around, it has too many bugs
and ak und chord hugo are way too expensive...

also, the hardware inside is not small by any means... 

anyways the coosen numbers look very sexy for a computer programmer!

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #1,542 of 18,020

http://www.head-fi.org/t/713735/fiio-x7-what-is-your-dream-dap-updated-on-7-11-2014#post_10438534 :

1, Dimension:  128*16*64mm

Thanks - it would have been way too much work for me to look in the 1st post lol! Any word on the weight?

Anyway, 128mm is pretty long, and my guess is that it won't weigh much less than 200 grams, so unfortunately it won't be very portable for me.

i would be willing to carry a bigger device with better specs any day ...

i cannot do gym with x5, but why would anyone want that... while you are doing something like running, cycling, exercising there is too much noise from inside of your body to be listening to audiophile levels... walking is sometimes ok with audiophile quality, depending on what setup, but the size of the player is not what would stop me as much as isolation of the headphones would do...

i actually dance with the x5 in hand or in the pocket of my pants... not only it is not a brick, it is all the way fine. something bigger for better specs would be just as fine, as long as it would be better..

besides walking, there is literally no need for audiophile levels, you would do fine with a sansa clip, or anything else cheap and small.. the reason it might not be much smaller or lighter would be exactly for people to not use it while running, to not drop it. nobody wants to talk all day with customers that drop a product while doing exercise with it...

like i would ask you, would you jog or bike with a player costing 400$? while i have a bike that costs like less than 100$?... i have a clip+ that costed me 100$, and i can hear little difference while running. mostly because while i run, i cannot hear soundstage, or lots of treble... the sound is different. it is not healthy either to run with music, i stopped some time ago, too prone to accidents...

I am happy to use the clip zip for biking or jogging, but for all other portable uses (including the gym where noise levels are often low enough to enjoy tunes), I would prefer to have my dream DAP with me (the one that has audiophile SQ levels and that is rather small and light).

For instance, I wouldn't portably use a DAP the size/weight of my E12 amp, but something the size/weight of my ihifi 770 works (117*64*8.8mm @ 103g). So this all goes under the heading "different strokes for different folks". Btw, I still may get the X7 for "portable home use" because I like listening to music while moving around the house - but unfortunately the size/weight will stop it from being my personal dream DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back