FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Nov 13, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #1,203 of 18,020
to me the only problems with the actual FIIOs UI is when you go look for a song in a big library, and the fact that going back to the "now playing" menu from anywhere but the browsing way, will get you to "home".
both those things are annoying.

with faster scrolling or alphabet navigation the first one is solved. with a back button that is a "1up in the folder tree" button instead of a "back button", the second problem is solved.
from there some might argue that the UI isn't amazing, but it is simple and function well. on the X1 I can go back from anywhere to the now playing song in 1long press of the back button + another short one. 2clics away of that one button wherever I am in the DAP. even my sony doesn't offer that, I'm between 3 and 4 clics from the now playing screen. and I think very highly of sony's UI.

so it's far from being all black and a great improvement will be reached simply by giving us a faster way to find a the track we're looking for.

about sound quality, it's already very much great enough. some want more power for weird headphones that shouldn't be in the portable realm. but it's not like more improvements will make night and day differences in sound anymore. we already have reached a great level (ok fiio did, not me^_^). so the future of FIIO will probably have to be into trying to become a real huge player in the market by making stuff smaller, or with more battery life, and maybe adding even more functionalities(but they already rox on that topic, maybe wireless stuff?).
on sound alone once you've reached transparent sound, how much more should we desire to improve on something that will sound the same?

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #1,204 of 18,020

That was easy.
wink_face.gif

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #1,205 of 18,020
The problem is the law of diminishing returns. You won't get more than twice the audio quality for more than twice the price. It's like this with all audio gear including full size amps and headphones etc.. My LCD-2 is not half as good as my LCD-XC although they cost half as much. Once you cross a certain line it becomes more and more difficult to get better quality, and some are willing to pay the price for that seemingly unattainable goal of perfect audio reproduction. Quite often a 5-10% improvement increases price significantly because it's that much harder to attain. It all depends on what your value system is and if the improvements are worth it to you.

Very well said and appreciate your experience and wisdom in these discussion.  For myself I don't find my E18 satisfactory vs X5 right now with the bigger sound stage. I'm willing to pay more than the X5 for a much better product if the X7 proves that expectation.  We'll have to A/B audition them once out and vs something like AK100/AK120 while we're at it.

Nov 15, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #1,209 of 18,020
  assuming it doesnt run a totally modded android like most player , then it can also run stuff like spotify and the like of it

In our plan, X7 will base on Android 5.0 , but people can't install APP which have not certification by us. also it can only running two or three app at the same time in case the system become slow when there are so many App running at the same time.

about spotify, I think  we need more time to handle it but should be not problem. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 15, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #1,210 of 18,020

assuming it doesnt run a totally modded android like most player , then it can also run stuff like spotify and the like of it

In our plan, X7 will base on Android 5.0 , but people can't install APP which have not certification by us. also it can only running two or three app at the same time in case the system become slow when there are so many App running at the same time.

about spotify, I think  we need more time to handle it but should be not problem. 

Will android 5.0 support native PCM up to 24/192?

Nov 15, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #1,211 of 18,020
if you want to make one big happy me, plz find a way to reduce cellphone noises(EMI/RFI). if the casing can't do it, maybe some metal plates with little holes in them to protect the most sensitive chipsets, like it's done in cellphones?
anything to reduce the noise from cellphone's signal would be a HUGE upgrade in my book.

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #1,212 of 18,020

If x7 can stream spotify or another service that streams flacs, I would get one. I have x5 now and honestly, once spotify became available in canada I am streaming spotify music 80% of the time from my ipad to my beyer t 90's, at least around the house. I have done comparisons between tracks on my x5 to spotify tracks off the iPad Air and the sound quality is quite close. Sometimes my x5 will sound better on certain recordings because I don't know what the spotify source is, and other recordings are virtually identical in quality. Often not enough difference to warrant spending all the time loading up songs to the x5 and dealing with trying to get my 800 gigs of music onto the x5 which is not possible unless I buy 3 usb sticks of 256 GB at a cost of $300. (Usb sticks are also huge battery drain on x5) I have instant access in spotify to more music I will ever be able to hear in my lifetime and very easy to find and access. At 320 ogg their files are good enough for me for most purposes. Of course they don't have everything in my collection, which is why I am now transferring everything I have to x5 that I can't find in spotify. Spotify has at least 90% of my hard drive music collection. And they really surprised me with the amount of obscure recordings they do have.

Strange as it sounds, Streaming is the future, not carrying around a player with mp3's or flacs on it., dealing with the hassles of loading tracks all the time due to space limitations. I always looked at my collection as 'mine' , protecting it with multiple backups, and years of work assembling, and now I am moving over to the next transition, which is 'rentIng' music. For $10 a month, it's a no brainer to use spotify, and for $20 a month I will switch to a flac service once it becomes available in Canada. Having a high quality player that can stream flacs will be better than using my ipad.

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,213 of 18,020
I actually like messing with files.  Just as I liked handling vinyl.  I have no plans to stream as long as I can get my hands on quality files.  Also, I listen while I am out and about.  For me, when I buy a "portable" music player, it means I carry it with me.  I have a home theater system with a very powerful amp and a quality source (Oppo 103) to play music from should I wish to play music at home.  

Either way, I don't want files that are "good enough for me."  (No disrespect meant.)  I want the best files in the best player for the best sound.  If I want "ok" sound I'll go ride an elevator.  

That's what I want from the X7.  If you folks can deliver that, I'll certainly purchase it as an upgrade to my X5.  If it is basically just an X5 with bells and whistles, I'll pass.  

Nov 15, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #1,214 of 18,020

With all respect for Fiio and what you are trying to do, it is impossible to satisfy all your clients. Following this thread, it proves, it is an impossible job to create THE ultimate player. :)

For me I don't want Android, Windows, Apple or Linux as software for my ulitmate player, nor wifi, Spotify, bluethooth, GPS, Whatsapp or Facebook. Therefore there are enough smarthphones on the market.
The problem with such software, it becomes vulnerable and redundant without continous upgrading. And at a certain moment support stops for Android 5,0. But with connectivity towards wifi and other streaming devices, its safety becomes questionable. What do you need? Virusscanners, anti- spyware, ... or buying a new device?

The ultimate player should be as basic as possible, supporting only high end ripped music (mp3 - 320 kbps, flac, alac, ape) and with a custom made software, like the current Fiio products.
This software remains workable, even when support stops.

I hope Fiio continous to make devices like the X1, X3, X5 with custom made software. THAT is the strong point of this devices.

But I respect the decision of Fiio :)

Nov 15, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #1,215 of 18,020
  I actually like messing with files.  Just as I liked handling vinyl.  I have no plans to stream as long as I can get my hands on quality files.  Also, I listen while I am out and about.  For me, when I buy a "portable" music player, it means I carry it with me.  I have a home theater system with a very powerful amp and a quality source (Oppo 103) to play music from should I wish to play music at home.  

Either way, I don't want files that are "good enough for me."  (No disrespect meant.)  I want the best files in the best player for the best sound.  If I want "ok" sound I'll go ride an elevator.  

That's what I want from the X7.  If you folks can deliver that, I'll certainly purchase it as an upgrade to my X5.  If it is basically just an X5 with bells and whistles, I'll pass.  

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back