FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Jun 8, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #406 of 18,020
  1. I'm willing to pay a lot, on the spot for my dream player (and no. That other player that's charging over a grand isn't there) I know I'm asking for 'a lot' and that's no problem {which is why certain manufacturers need to stop beating around the bush and just build the darn thing like they've beed eyeballing for the last decade.............their name starting with an S that I've been in support of for ever and this one facet they intend on playing with my emotions 
mad.gif
}

2. Why would you use the Exynos as an example. It is just me here but it is been the case withing the rooting world that there is little support for Samsung chip, you even have devs that hate having to work on Exynos based devices because of it.

Otherwise your point is clear. For Fiio it may be asking too much, unless they try to make a player targeted at a slightly different crowd. Still I'm sure there are better chips than what they are going for that has support for modern components that isn't the top of the line.

1. Unfortunately you are not the only person FiiO is trying to sell the DAP to. FiiO is never a brand that try to sell a product on high markup just so they can make profit on a fewer sale figure (*think iriver's A&K here). They are a company that is known to sell things on a lower profit margin but instead make up with quantity. That's where their targeted customer are and that's what the company has been admired for. I don't think that's going to change any time soon. They just do what they can do.

2. Exynos is just an example. It can be Snapdragon if you like, and will make no difference.

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #408 of 18,020
How powerful do you want your dream player to be?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/714404/how-powerful-do-you-want-your-dream-player-to-be

In terms of headphone driving power, hi-fi DAPs have recently seen a divide into two schools:

1.“Lite” players from e.g. Sony and iRiver / Astell & Kern, which have support for a wide range of formats, with good sound quality, build and UI, and combine small size with good battery life. The tradeoff is low output power.

2.“Heavy” players mostly from China, the defining characteristic of which is higher and higher output power with each new release…

The divide stems from a real engineering dilemma with light weight and good battery life being at odds with output power and quality. So let’s hear your thoughts on how much power your dream player should have (keeping in mind the above tradeoff)?

Something powerful like the E12 would be dreamy :)

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #409 of 18,020
ESS9018 with the amp section of an E12 connected would be ideal for me. I am not sure I am willing to use anything bigger than the enclosure of the E12. Think about it, 5" android phone with the thickness of an X5? it's just too much

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #410 of 18,020
I personally don't care if it's ES9018 or not.  DX90 put a bad taste in my mouth regarding ES9018.  It can be implemented badly and sound like any other mp3 player with U shaped sound as DX90 demonstrates.  
frown.gif

Jun 9, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #411 of 18,020
Speaking of ESS9018, why not use ESS9012 instead? it's more upscale than ESS9018 Mobile Version looking at the spec. It's on par with ESS9018 in stereo performance withouth the hassle of paralleling the DACs

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #412 of 18,020
In terms of past implementations, I prefer the cheaper ES9023.  I don't recall any cirus chip with Fiio, It would be interesting if they implement a cirus chip.  I already know a single chip has two differential outputs and dual chip is not necessary like the AK is marketing.  I don't care if Fiio goes dual to compete with other products as long as the analog stage is done well, which I believe has the most affect on the sound.

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #413 of 18,020
ESS9018 with the amp section of an E12 connected would be ideal for me. I am not sure I am willing to use anything bigger than the enclosure of the E12. Think about it, 5" android phone with the thickness of an X5? it's just too much

E12 will be too power hunger to be incorporated in any DAP. If you think 5' DAP with X5 thickness is too much, than an X7 with integrated E12 will at least add 1cm more to the thickness.

I personally don't care if it's ES9018 or not.  DX90 put a bad taste in my mouth regarding ES9018.  It can be implemented badly and sound like any other mp3 player with U shaped sound as DX90 demonstrates.  
frown.gif

I think you should note that ES9018K2M (the one in DX90) is not exactly same as ES9018 that X7 is going to use. Though I don't find DX90 to sound U-shaped myself and thought it is quite a good DAP in its own right.

Speaking of ESS9018, why not use ESS9012 instead? it's more upscale than ESS9018 Mobile Version looking at the spec. It's on par with ESS9018 in stereo performance withouth the hassle of paralleling the DACs

You misunderstand - ES9018 and ES9012 are the same chip. ES9012 is just an ES9018 that is internally hard-coded to output only stereo, where ES9018 leaves the option to the manufacturer. So regardless, the internal DAC cores are still going to be used in the same way. There is really no reason to pick ES9012 over ES9018 or vice versa, except that ESS does usually recommend ES9018 over ES9012 even in stereo only application.

In terms of past implementations, I prefer the cheaper ES9023.  I don't recall any cirus chip with Fiio, It would be interesting if they implement a cirus chip.  I already know a single chip has two differential outputs and dual chip is not necessary like the AK is marketing.  I don't care if Fiio goes dual to compete with other products as long as the analog stage is done well, which I believe has the most affect on the sound.

Now that Cirrus bought Wolfson, I guess you can say FiiO is already using Cirrus chips.

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #414 of 18,020
-highest quality dac/amp chips available
-a UI that focuses on file browsing
-dac chip for each channel
-amp chip for each channel
-touch screen
-buttons forward/back/pause
-forward/back buttons located directly below the screen
-chassis cut from one piece of aluminium
-dual storage input
-flaps to cover cards
-no visible screws
-micro usb charger
-side mounted usb charge port (so I can leave it sitting upright while charging)
-line out and headphone out ports on the top
-no internal storage

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #415 of 18,020
Much appreciated, thank you for the clarification, ClieOS

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #416 of 18,020
  -highest quality dac/amp chips available
-a UI that focuses on file browsing
-dac chip for each channel
-amp chip for each channel
-touch screen
-buttons forward/back/pause
-forward/back buttons located directly below the screen
-chassis cut from one piece of aluminium
-dual storage input
-flaps to cover cards
-no visible screws
-micro usb charger
-side mounted usb charge port (so I can leave it sitting upright while charging)
-line out and headphone out ports on the top
-no internal storage

just out of curiosity...
Why no visible screws and why no internal storage?

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #417 of 18,020

just out of curiosity...
Why no visible screws and why no internal storage?

No visible screws because that would be in line with the design of current high end portable devices (phones).
A glass back would also have the same effect.

No internal storage because anything less than 32gb is almost unusable and just a waste of time to navigate the UI around.
An additional 8gb on top of my 64gb card is nothing but an additional button press to navigate past every time I turn the device on.
Unless the UI can be designed in such a way that I would be able to permanently select external memory as a source?
I find the X3's UI cumbersome in regards to browsing files on the TF card.

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #418 of 18,020

No visible screws because that would be in line with the design of current high end portable devices (phones).

A glass back would also have the same effect.

No internal storage because anything less than 32gb is almost unusable and just a waste of time to navigate the UI around.

An additional 8gb on top of my 64gb card is nothing but an additional button press to navigate past every time I turn the device on.

Unless the UI can be designed in such a way that I would be able to permanently select external memory as a source?

I find the X3's UI cumbersome in regards to browsing files on the TF card.

I understand, at this price I would expect 64gb of internal memory.

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #419 of 18,020
Fiio, great job with X5.  I got to say it's damn detailed and clear sounding player.  If you can improve upon the sound with an amp section that pushes more dynamism it would be perfect.  I have another setup that I believe has better dynamic imaging, and the music comes alive, as the sound is separated and has different levels of forwardness.  This is through my NT-6 which extremely resolving if the source is extremely resolving.  I'm just blown away on how detailed and clear X5.  I know you guys use single TI PCM1792, and it shows that you don't need a overly hyped chip in the player to perform better, but the chip is implemented.  

I think you guys came a long way as I've always been dissapointed with your products in the past, and the X5 turned it around.

Keep up the great work!  Thanks for keeping the price reasonable. I've compared several DAPs and X5 is a keeper.
SE

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #420 of 18,020
Dual DAC system similar to the AK240 (Maybe release a limited X7s with this feature)
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
Open source or release a dev kit for developers in the hifi comunity to make applications. Closing the system will make it safer but progress will be slower.
Built in storage options: 32GB, 64GB, 128GB (Maybe even add extra features to higher memory versions. Dual DAC and faster Processor to name a few)
Faster transfer rate. Currently the chip set on the X5 only transfer at about 5-10MB.
Bigger battery.
2 Micro SD slots
eFAT support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back