FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Apr 25, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #47 of 18,019
My dream android music player (it will be an android player, right?) runs poweramp (which supports replaygain) and has Viper4Android built in :D

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2372750

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 25, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #48 of 18,019
My dream player would scan my SD Card and wirelessly locate the 24/192 versions of my songs and silently replace the mp3's on the player with hi-res versions for only a $39.99 monthly charge.

May 2, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #49 of 18,019
My dream android music player (it will be an android player, right?) runs poweramp (which supports replaygain) and has Viper4Android built in
biggrin.gif

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2372750

Let's decide the hardware first. for Viper4Android, we will discuss with them in the future.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 2, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #50 of 18,019
I think the current specs updated in the original post look quite good, but I think that a size similar to a 5" phone and thickness of the X5 is a tad on the large size (I'd rather have a smaller screen and a smaller DAP).  

The other item on my wish list would be to have a replaceable battery instead of a built-in battery.  

May 3, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #51 of 18,019
Does it really need blutooth?  I don't know anyone who would use it.

I'd really like both 3.5mm and full sized headphone outputs,so I don't have to use adaptors.

Please also include a hard, protective case for this baby.

May 3, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #52 of 18,019

Let's decide the hardware first. for Viper4Android, we will discuss with them in the future.

I'm sure your team could implement / code DSPs generally far better than V4A anyway - in-house (not to take anything away from the developers of V4A, just knowing how your team are continually advancing), and if was based on an open source platform (Android), could be added by the end user with ease :)

What I feel does need to be decided, whilst looking at it this way, if Android is your OS of choice, how open (rooted etc.) would you want it to be, and how much liability for bricking / boot-loops would you be prepared to accept...  It would be fair to say that the combination of high end hardware and open source OS will increase your likelihood of product returns due user ignorance / error...

Yes, high cost item and tech savvy buyer should mean minimal problems, but - just factoring in 'issues' ;o)

May 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #53 of 18,019
From the top of my head for me , a dream dap would be

- Roughly 4 inch touchscreen  (no more than 4.3inch) 
- minimum 64 internal storage
- 2x microsd slots
- roughly iphone 5 length and width
- 1.5- 2cm in thickness
- 700-800USD
- At least 10hrs battery life
- Physical buttons for volume, next/play/pause

May 3, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #54 of 18,019
  From the top of my head for me , a dream dap would be

- Roughly 4 inch touchscreen  (no more than 4.3inch) 
- minimum 64 internal storage
- 2x microsd slots
- roughly iphone 5 length and width
- 1.5- 2cm in thickness
- 700-800USD
- At least 10hrs battery life
- Physical buttons for volume, next/play/pause

Don't really need internal storage as long as we have at least 2 SD slots, capable of taking 120gb SD cards, for a total storage of at least 240 gb.

Whatever can be done for a quick and very use-able UI  would be a big selling point. The Sony NWZ-ZX1 is a good example of a great UI. 
Also, most of us don't need the power to drive 600 ohm headphones, as 95% of us would be using this as a portable, and few people want to be walking around with a pair of LCD-3's around their head, unless we are doing neck exercises.

May 3, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #55 of 18,019
From everything I am reading the AK240 is the perfect device fitting all my needs. If it was $699, I would buy one, but no way at its current price. So my dream dap would be:

An AK240 at $699, with:
1) user swappable batteries
2) AK design refinement
3) better balanced connector
4) better than hm901 sq

DONE Puchased!

May 3, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #56 of 18,019
After using the X5, I'd like to see:

1. replaceable battery - this mitigates any complaints about battery life
  2. additional battery cover that will allow larger capacity batteries to be used (a lot of people are asking for this on the DX90)
  3. a UI that only needs minimal updates/bug-fixing upon release - they need to be further past the beta stage by the time they are for sale if possible (i understand the constraints you guys work under)
  4. UI should have otg playlist-building option (the Calyx M seems to have this well-covered with their UI - you can even change the order of the tracks by dragging and dropping within the playlist itself, which is very cool)
  5. no on-board storage is fine, but there should be more than the X5 for the sake of the UI
  6. 2 microSDXC slots with sliding covers like the ones on the AK players - very cool and functional
  7. buttons should make it easy to operate in a pocket (without looking at the device or even removing it from your pocket for basic functions)
  8. balanced-capable HO option
  9. Native DSD playback
  10. gorilla glass for the touchscreen, which will hopefully be amoled (there is a more energy-efficient type, not sure if it's amoled)
  11. close to zero output impedance
  12. customizable eq with the ability to save multiple user-defined eq settings
  13. no wifi necessary, but some might like this...as long as it doesn't affect the sound, I could live with it
  14. multiple gain settings (2 or 3 should suffice)
  15. should look more like Sony's ZX-1 as opposed to, say the Hifiman HM901 - make it pretty, please.
  16. not as thick as the X5, please - length and width can be a bit bigger for the touchscreen. I want it to fit comfortably in my front pants pocket
  17. weight will hopefully be no heavier than the X5 - that one is pretty heavy imo
  18. perhaps weight can be saved by making it for portable use, for people with iems or low-impedance full-sized headphones. If somebody wants to use it with their power-hungry headphones, they can use an external amp. Err on the side of portability, please.
  19. No gimmicks like the magnetic volume-slider on the Calyx M - function over fashion always
  20. Volume buttons rather than a volume knob (though the ones found on the AK120 and AK240 seem to be well-designed)

May 4, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #59 of 18,019
-low profile physical EQ would be very cool (maybe on the side of the player)
-an extended battery that would match the original design of the player would be perfect for people who want more battery life
-metal built 
-awesome design

May 4, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #60 of 18,019
  Also, most of us don't need the power to drive 600 ohm headphones, as 95% of us would be using this as a portable, and few people want to be walking around with a pair of LCD-3's around their head, unless we are doing neck exercises.

What has a 600 Ohm headphone got to do with power or LCD-3. Not all 600 Ohm headphone are power hungry and LCD-3 only has 110 Ohm load impedance. You should look at headphone sensitivity/efficiency instead.

To put that into perspective, X5 can sufficiently drive a DT880 600 Ohm at 96 dB/mW. A Beyer T1 @ 600Ohm is a lot easier because it's more efficient at 102 dB/mW.

LCD-3 @ 110Ohm  requires(94 dB)  less power to drive over a Hifiman HE-6 @ 50 Ohm with 83.5 db sensitivity.

I'd say X7 should be as powerful if not better than X5.

Having said that here's what I like to see from X7.

1. Similar size/dimension as X5.
2. I prefer single full-SD card than a dual-micro-SD.
3. Hardware buttons for Play, Forward, Rewind.
4. Screen size doesn't matter as long as it is no less than 240x320 resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back