FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Jul 26, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #13,446 of 18,020
What amp module would you guys suggest for the Noble K10U? Is AM1 sufficient? Remember I like a brighter sounding player. 

Thanks!

Sufficient? I guess so. Noble doesn't reveal K10U specs but reviews are unanimous saying they are very easy to drive. You found the JH Audio Angie's to be mid centric, so maybe AM1 might be a bit too "thin" for your taste, maybe not...

With my A&K Angie II (8 BA's per side), between AM1, AM2 and AM3 ... unquestionably undoubtedly absolutely AM3 balanced! Perfect, only wished it didn't suck so much battery.

My 2 cents

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #13,447 of 18,020
Jul 26, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #13,448 of 18,020
  If you connect the X7 to the Mojo via co-ax then it will stream to it no problem with no third party app required. I do this with the Qobuz streaming service and previously Tidal. USB is not supported on the current android platform of the X7. However I find the wifi of the X7 weak and so tend to download the music and then transport it via co-ax to the Mojo. At present you can only download to the internal memory and not micro SD cards (this is a big gripe of mine). Fiio have stated they are working to rectify this but so far have not. I suspect it may be a limitation of android 4.4, others may know better about that than me.

Anyway X7 to Mojo via co-ax works just fine with Tidal. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

One question: you mention "weak" Wifi, but is this in function of distance from source or independent? Does it cut out irrespective of distance? I would be using the X7 in close proximity (maybe max a couple of metres) from my S6 which is the Wifi source (for 99% of the time anyhow).  That is a pain ref the offline content location issue, but you are right, Android is a funny thing when it comes to SD Card integration and apps.

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #13,449 of 18,020
  Thanks for your comprehensive reply.

One question: you mention "weak" Wifi, but is this in function of distance from source or independent? Does it cut out irrespective of distance? I would be using the X7 in close proximity (maybe max a couple of metres) from my S6 which is the Wifi source (for 99% of the time anyhow).  That is a pain ref the offline content location issue, but you are right, Android is a funny thing when it comes to SD Card integration and apps.

I find that the past a distance of around 7 or 8 metres and through a plasterboard wall or two the wifi signal is down to 1 bar which does result in dropouts when streaming. I have never tried tethering the X7 as you intend too and I don't have the capacity to test it (poor 4G coverage at home). However when I use the X7 in the same room as my router, say a distance of 2-3 metres I never have any problems and have full bar wifi connection. I guess for you it will depend on how well the S6 performs as a hotspot.

Jul 27, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #13,450 of 18,020
McIntosh MHP1000 (200 Ohm) sound terrific with both AM2 and AM5. 
L3000.gif

With the X7, MHP1000 are technically amazing and "in your face" --in a good way. HiFiman Ed. X are more musical/magical. Something for every mood.

(Kennerton Odins are on the way. Tomorrow I'll order the EnigmAcoustics Dharma D1000--then I'm done...for now...)

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #13,451 of 18,020
  I find that the past a distance of around 7 or 8 metres and through a plasterboard wall or two the wifi signal is down to 1 bar which does result in dropouts when streaming. I have never tried tethering the X7 as you intend too and I don't have the capacity to test it (poor 4G coverage at home). However when I use the X7 in the same room as my router, say a distance of 2-3 metres I never have any problems and have full bar wifi connection. I guess for you it will depend on how well the S6 performs as a hotspot.

Ok, thanks for that. The S6 makes a v good wifi hotspot. My 4g is perhaps 20x faster on the download and 120x faster on the upload, than my landline, its just silly.

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #13,452 of 18,020
I'm going to vent here in hopes that someone from Fiio sees this. I have now gotten 2 Fiio X7 units from Authorized sellers on Amazon, the latest being Tinbel in which the units are sold as new, but are obviously used. The first unit I got about 2 months ago had someone else's music still loaded on it and the plastic wasn't sealed. I decided I would try again since I have my K10U's coming tomorrow and I ordered another unit yesterday and paid for 1 day shipping, again, new in box, and I got a unit that was wrapped in an over-sized plastic wrapping and wasn't factory sealed. This is just ridiculous. I order a lot of things from Amazon, and I have NEVER encountered a problem like this before. I didn't pay $599 for a used unit. I'm not sure how to go about getting a legitimate factory sealed unit.

Jul 28, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #13,454 of 18,020
What´s really sad is that Fiio is offering zero amp modules on Amazon in Germany. Zero. Nada. I wonder why. Is there absolutely no interest?  
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back