FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Mar 9, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #10,216 of 18,020
i think the AM1 module really holds back the full capabilities of the player/es3018s DAC.

Correction - ESS9018S DAC.

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #10,217 of 18,020
Mar 9, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #10,219 of 18,020
  i think i just half confused the cpu and dac chips :')

Hi all, sorry the newbie question ...

The X7 line/coax out is beeing used for external AMPS, right? the DAC is still the X7 ESS9018S ?

Or is it just a digital source for use with an external DACs/AMP ? if this is the case them why use a pricey source like X7 instead of a cheap alternative?

Regards

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #10,220 of 18,020

The X7 line/coax out is beeing used for external AMPS, right? the DAC is still the X7 ESS9018S ?

Or is it just a digital source for use with an external DACs/AMP ? if this is the case them why use a pricey source like X7 instead of a cheap alternative?

Regards

DAC stands for Digital to Analogue Converter

line out comes from DAC, as an analogue signal, directly from the DAC. an external amp will amplify this signal.
coax is a digital signal, if you use an external DAC, this will be used for making it analogue. in this case i personally do not see a reason to use an expensive audio player, unless the UI is great, or you use it without the external DAC too.

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #10,221 of 18,020

Regards

As CH23 has said, for the line out yes, for the coaxial out no. Line out bypasses the amp, and coaxial out bypasses both the DAC and amp.

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #10,222 of 18,020
As CH23 has said, for the line out yes, for the coaxial out no. Line out bypasses the amp, and coaxial out bypasses both the DAC and amp.

Thanks CH23 and RELIC!

So as I understood the top connection on X7 has both roles, an analog for an external AMP and also a digital for an external DAC (With or without AMP) ? so now it makes sense for me the setting option of the "multifunctional" Output ... Lo for an AMP and coaxial digital out for a DAC ...

Regards

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #10,223 of 18,020
Thanks CH23 and RELIC!

So as I understood the top connection on X7 has both roles, an analog for an external AMP and also a digital for an external DAC (With or without AMP) ? so now it makes sense for me the setting option of the "multifunctional" Output ... Lo for an AMP and coaxial digital out for a DAC ...

Regards

:beerchug:

Notice the included coaxial adaptor is a four pole plug - TRRS (Tip, Ring1, Ring2, Sleeve). The bottom two poles (Tip & Ring1) are for the left and right (+/-) stereo signal, the third (Ring2) is a shared ground, and the fourth (Sleeve) is for the coaxial signal. When using coaxial output the Tip and Ring1 are ignored, and when using the line out the Sleeve is ignored.

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #10,224 of 18,020
beerchug.gif

Notice the included coaxial adaptor is a four pole plug - TRRS (Tip, Ring1, Ring2, Sleeve). The bottom two poles (Tip & Ring1) are for the left and right (+/-) stereo signal, the third (Ring2) is a shared ground, and the fourth (Sleeve) is for the coaxial signal. When using coaxial output the Tip and Ring1 are ignored, and when using the line out the Sleeve is ignored.

Many thanks for the info!

Now I'll make that silly? question:
If I stick accidentaly my in ear phone on that hole I should still listen the analog signal at a very low level and without volume control?

Regards

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #10,225 of 18,020

If I stick accidentaly my in ear phone on that hole I should still listen the analog signal at a very low level and without volume control?

Regards

Don't do that.

It'll blast your ears.

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #10,227 of 18,020

Regards

The line out signal is unamped, this means nothing if you don't know what an amplifier actually is:

Line out is the full volume (0dB), an amplifier will make it possible to regulate this (-90dB up to 0dB, on the K5)

Never use headphones on line out, it is the loudest volume possible without deforming the audio signal (clipping)

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #10,228 of 18,020
Mar 9, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #10,230 of 18,020
Not sure if this has been mentioned previously...

Can someone please clarify What is the max bitrate output of the coaxial digital output?

Thanks.

I think unless your receiver or external dac upsamples it should be 24/96

Users who are viewing this thread

Back