FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Feb 23, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #9,811 of 18,020
Is there something funky with the audio quality with Bluetooth? I bought the X7 Plus Bluetooth Wireless Sports IEMs from MEE Audio to use while working out so I don't have to deal with cables. I know these aren't exactly top-of-the-line, but there seems to be some sibilance or "graininess" when playing music. This is the kind of cheapness I expect from $5 IEMs, but these cost a little more. It doesn't appear when the music off, so I don't think it's broken. I connected these IEMs to my LG G4 and while it does seem to be slightly sibilant, it isn't so unpleasant to listen to like with the Fiio X7.

Kind of strange that IEMs called X7 aren't working well with a Fiio device also called the X7.

Either my ears are jacked up, the IEMs are busted, or there's something funky going on with the Bluetooth. Anyone also happen to have these IEMs?

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #9,812 of 18,020
  Is there something funky with the audio quality with Bluetooth? I bought the X7 Plus Bluetooth Wireless Sports IEMs from MEE Audio to use while working out so I don't have to deal with cables. I know these aren't exactly top-of-the-line, but there seems to be some sibilance or "graininess" when playing music. This is the kind of cheapness I expect from $5 IEMs, but these cost a little more. It doesn't appear when the music off, so I don't think it's broken. I connected these IEMs to my LG G4 and while it does seem to be slightly sibilant, it isn't so unpleasant to listen to like with the Fiio X7.

Kind of strange that IEMs called X7 aren't working well with a Fiio device also called the X7.

Either my ears are jacked up, the IEMs are busted, or there's something funky going on with the Bluetooth. Anyone also happen to have these IEMs?

bluetooth isn't meant for Hi-Fi. there's not enough bandwidth.
try restarting the device though, it might help (because grainy isn't good, thats for sure)

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #9,813 of 18,020

try restarting the device though, it might help (because grainy isn't good, thats for sure)

Unfie, there are sound problems with bluetooth reported, you will find some of these somewhere in this thread (I am sorry, do not have time to look for it now, you can look for "frying bacon" phrase). Restarting the X7 will not help by any means.

Btw., in this specific case the argument that bluetooth isn't meant for Hi-Fi gets on my nerves a bit. For x-sake, it is not about Hi-Fi here, it is about some acceptable level of sound quality, which you can get with any mediocre mobile nowadays. The devices affected (I am unfortunate to have one) play flacs like a cheap mp3 @ 128 kb/s at best. And this is not with some low-end headphones. So, for the time being, this functionality has only marketing-wise meaning, for me at least. Well, but I still do not loose hope it can be addressed by the firmware.

To be clear - apart this [well, quite serious] issue, X7 is really great!

S.

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #9,814 of 18,020

Unfie, there are sound problems with bluetooth reported, you will find some of these somewhere in this thread (I am sorry, do not have time to look for it now, you can look for "frying bacon" phrase). Restarting the X7 will not help by any means.

Btw., in this specific case the argument that bluetooth isn't meant for Hi-Fi gets on my nerves a bit. For x-sake, it is not about Hi-Fi here, it is about some acceptable level of sound quality, which you can get with any mediocre mobile nowadays. The devices affected (I am unfortunate to have one) play flacs like a cheap mp3 @ 128 kb/s at best. And this is not with some low-end headphones. So, for the time being, this functionality has only marketing-wise meaning, for me at least. Well, but I still do not loose hope it can be addressed by the firmware.

To be clear - apart this [well, quite serious] issue, X7 is really great!

S.

the reason i mention it is because some people might not know, and because i think that, if you only use bluetooth headphones, a €800 dap is overkill.

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #9,815 of 18,020

the reason i mention it is because some people might not know, and because i think that, if you only use bluetooth headphones, a €800 dap is overkill.

Sure, but you know, sometimes would be nice to take out the X7 (along with its android tremendous potential) without cables. And enjoy the sound, bearing of course in mind, it is even better in a "stationary mode" (or "cable mode"). Such possibility is definitely not an overkill of EUR 800 or so.
S.

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #9,817 of 18,020

You should try the XTZ Divine - it may change your ideas on that.

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:18 AM Post #9,819 of 18,020

You should try the XTZ Divine - it may change your ideas on that.

no matter the receiving end, the bluetooth technology simply isnt good enough for high fidelity.
wifi headphones would be great. i have 2 pairs of those. the rs180 uses a technology which still isn't good enough for full spectrum, but the RS220 sounds pretty good (though too flat for my liking)

i'm not a speaker person. all i know is that the speakers i want, i will never have (Grados 32 driver tower)

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #9,820 of 18,020

no matter the receiving end, the bluetooth technology simply isnt good enough for high fidelity.
wifi headphones would be great. i have 2 pairs of those. the rs180 uses a technology which still isn't good enough for full spectrum, but the RS220 sounds pretty good (though too flat for my liking)

i'm not a speaker person. all i know is that the speakers i want, i will never have (Grados 32 driver tower)

I'd beg to differ - modern Bluetooth will do 20 Hz to 20 kHz quite easily, and like I said, if you get the chance, you need to hear the XTZ Divine.  it's changed my mind about how good Bluetooth can be sonically. 

Quote:
  Looking forward to your review on the Divines. Any idea when it might posted?

Just have the photos and final edit to do now.  Hopefully within next 24-48 hours.

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #9,821 of 18,020
If you wanna know whether bluetooth can do full spectrum you could kinda guess by playing a frequency sweep track...

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #9,822 of 18,020
  If you wanna know whether bluetooth can do full spectrum you could kinda guess by playing a frequency sweep track...

You don't need to.  Apt-X already has enough bandwidth to convey CD-quality, and A2DP can take aac256 quality direct from an iDevice without further compression.  As long as you're using a quality recording, and a quality transducer, I'd consider the output definitely high fidelity.

Feb 23, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #9,823 of 18,020

Ah, so the possible answer is that the bluetooth IEMs can't help the awesomeness of the DAP. Restarting doesn't help...

I have MEE X7 plus too and there is also noise / grain on the sound. Tried with other bluetooth devices i have, the noise still loves me.

Contacted fiio but got no reply untill now -.-

Ah, Bob Saget! Nevermind...maybe I should just return these and get something else.

Feb 23, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #9,824 of 18,020

Ah, so the possible answer is that the bluetooth IEMs can't help the awesomeness of the DAP. Restarting doesn't help...

apparently the newer bluetooth standards are finally capable, this wasnt an answer to your original question though, it may be a faulty chip or software. as @Stachu P said, search this thread for "bacon" and you'll find others with that same issue. i hope fiio will bring an update here.

@Joe Bloggs, will the sound quality when using vaper4android+poweramp be able to utilize the full capabilities of the DAC, same as the FiiO app?

Feb 23, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #9,825 of 18,020
Thought I would post a thanks for your help to @Joe Bloggs, who has been helping me via pm, it is only fair as I was critical early on about the X7 and problems I encountered. As far as I can see as a company you have really been fair with people who have had problematic units such as myself.

EA just emailed me today to sort out one from the new batch, so hopefully I will be sorted sometime next week. I am really happy with the support you and your distributers have provided. I was initially a little suprised by the email I recieved advising me not to stream, but I am now 100% convinced that this was just an error in someones judgment early on and was not the kind of response Fiio usually give.

This unit is a little different from the 1st as the noise problem intermittent and I cant tie down as to when it will occur, either way hopefully it will be a thing of the past next week for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back