FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Jun 2, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #361 of 18,020
I hate to be "that guy" & mention competing products in development, but after doing some reading this weekend, it almost appears Light Harmonics has been reading this thread & is designing their new Geek Wave player based off of our feedback to some degree.

It is supposed to come out Q1 next year.

Fiio needs to take a look at what LH is doing & think really hard about what they want to include in the X7, & find a way to balance that with the various things we have been asking for.

As the current X7 spec stands, I am seriously considering backing the Geek Wave.

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #363 of 18,020
"Being the first company to bring the world a 32 bit/384 kHz plus DSD 128 component has it's advantages"

first?  last I check my ak100 can do DSD

Fiio , I only have one wish for the x7, can you stay away from cirrus or sabre? I want the analog soundsig from the x5 only upgraded and well made better , your x5 have been my mainstay player for quite sometime now , and I am hopping your x7 would also be a worthy upgrade from the x5

Jun 2, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #364 of 18,020
Be careful on what you read about DSD on marketing material. They often don't tell you the problem of DSD but rather want you to believe it is some sort of magical revelation for digital music. It really isn't.

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #366 of 18,020
Here is an interesting article about DSD vs. PCM to begin with: http://www.audiostream.com/content/qa-thorsten-loesch-amrifi-audiostream-addendum-pcm-vs-dsd

The history behind the two formats are decades long, and there is still no clear winner between them.

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #368 of 18,020
  I hate to be "that guy" & mention competing products in development, but after doing some reading this weekend, it almost appears Light Harmonics has been reading this thread & is designing their new Geek Wave player based off of our feedback to some degree.

Fiio needs to take a look at what LH is doing & think really hard about what they want to include in the X7, & find a way to balance that with the various things we have been asking for.

As the current X7 spec stands, I am seriously considering backing the Geek Wave.

I hadn't seen that one...very interesting with the SDXC

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #369 of 18,020
I read the updated first post and it said there is wifi feature. Does that mean I can play music from my wifi hard drive? I want to support fiio!

Jun 2, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #370 of 18,020
For me i love the DAC choice. I have an Oppo HA-1 with the ESS9018 DAC and I feel it's far ahead of the X5 DAC. Let's hope Fiio can implement it well.

I would love the X7 to include hardware based bass/treble control. They work so much better on the e17 and X3 than the EQ on the X5. Don't get me wrong, I love the X5, it's just that for some headphones I like to tailor the sound a little to correct for their imbalances and the X5 equalization just doesn't sound as good as the X3's hardware based equalization (yes, even volume matched to compensate for the -6db headroom).

X7 looks exciting!

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #371 of 18,020
Ok everybody... let's summarize our dream features for Fiio X7!

1. User accessible mSata SSD slot or a built-in 500GB mSata SSD

http://aaawave.com/p-16691-mushkin-mknssdat480gb-atlas-series-msata-sata-iii-480gb-internal-ssd.aspx?gclid=CJHAvZz_3L4CFQKhOgodUTYAbA

2. SD card slot + micro SD card slot   or   Two SD card slots

3. Wi-fi music streaming from wi-fi HDD or a desktop HDD

4. Better design (something simple and elegant, definitely not old Fiio X5's X design) 

5. 1/4 inch headphone jack

6. Affordable price

7. Folder browsing function  

8. Easy drag & drop file transfer without any additional syncing software

9. DSD support. 

10. Built-in high quality headphone amplifier 

11. 100 hours of playback just like Cowon's X7.
If Cowon guys could make 100 hours of battery life for a $200 device, you guys can do it too.

12. Beautiful and functional UI. No buggy Android please.

13. Dual 32bit DAC chips (ESS9018 DAC is recommended)

14. Easy & automatic firmware update via Wi-fi

15. A dedicated CPU

16. Highly sensitive touch screen. 

Hopefully Fiio's developers read this and apply these features to Fiio X7. 
If I were a developer, I'd certainly consider mSata SSD 500GB and SD card slots. mSata SSD storage is faster than any other SD card or portable flash drive. 
It's more stable and price isn't so high. It's light and energy efficient. There's no reason to not use it. I swear to god mSata SSD is the key. 
If X7 can have all these features, it will beat anything on the market. 

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #372 of 18,020
  Be careful on what you read about DSD on marketing material. They often don't tell you the problem of DSD but rather want you to believe it is some sort of magical revelation for digital music. It really isn't.

I know it isnt , but to claim that they are the first is a bit... when there has been some others product thats already out that already does DSD

if x7 is already decided to use sabre , I hope fiio implemented it differently compared to the rather digital dx100

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #373 of 18,020

I saw that thing (the web site) and not particularly impressed. Then again, this isn't quite what I'm looing for either, but I stumbled upon this first and want to see where this goes. The Wave is definitely valiant for what it's trying to make but ble.

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #374 of 18,020
Ok everybody... let's summarize our dream features for Fiio X7!

1. User accessible mSata SSD card slot or a built-in 500GB mSata SSD

2. SD card slot + micro SD card slot   or   Two SD card slots

3. Wi-fi music streaming from wi-fi HDD or a desktop HDD

4. Better design (something simple and elegant, definitely not old Fiio X5's X design) 

6. Affordable price

7. Folder browsing function

8. Dual 32bit DAC chips 

9. DSD support. 

10. Built-in high quality headphone amplifier 

11. Beautiful UI

Hopefully Fiio's developers read this and apply these features to Fiio X7. 
If I were a developer, I'd certainly consider mSata SSD 500GB and SD card slots. mSata SSD storage is the faster than any other SD card or portable flash drive. 
It's more stable and price isn't so high. It's light and energy efficient. There's no reason to not use it. I swear to god mSata SSD is the key. 
If X7 can have all these features, it will beat anything on the market. 

This sounds like it would be bigger than the Chord Hugo and cost as much. I disagree with 1. (Too much power draw and size), 2.(I really doubt they'd go full SD), 5.(Too big for a DAP), and 8.(single ESS9018 is more than enough).

Jun 3, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #375 of 18,020
Also:

Can someone please explain to me the obsession with having a jack which means an adapter is going to more than likely be needed, whether its for headphones or to go balls out to an external amp what on earth is the point? 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back