FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi | Bluetooth | 4 AMP modules | Balanced Out |
Nov 28, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #17,688 of 18,020
Yes, I have it now. It needs work. At the glacial pace that FiiO works I think we'll need at least three more firmware releases before the X7 is stable. I'm unsure they'll invest that much time in a product that has been superseded.

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #17,689 of 18,020
My Samsung T5 2TB SSD USB drive connected to my FiiO X7:

Screenshot_2017-11-28-21-46-07.png

Nov 29, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #17,691 of 18,020
Took delivery of my Ibasso DX200 today and have just loaded it up with my music library and am playing via the Mango player (equivalent to Pure Music mode in the X&).

Even with zero burn in right out of the box I prefer the sound of the DX200.

There is a lot that I like about the X7, but I could not get past feeling some fatigue from the sound. A touch too bright and thin for me - and that wears thing after about an hour. YMMV.

I am quite sensitive to a bright sound, so other folks might not have the issues that I do with the X7.

If FiiO could address the tonality in a FW upgrade? I am running 3.3.3 and it just doesn't work for me.

Dec 1, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #17,695 of 18,020
I found the modified firmware for the X7. The feature information isn't very clear. I don't like FiiO firmware 333 so it was no loss for me to try the modified version. So, I tried it. If there's an improvement I can't hear it. If anything there seems to be less detail. Less warm. I like warm.

Oh well.

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #17,696 of 18,020
I found the modified firmware for the X7. The feature information isn't very clear. I don't like FiiO firmware 333 so it was no loss for me to try the modified version. So, I tried it. If there's an improvement I can't hear it. If anything there seems to be less detail. Less warm. I like warm.

Oh well.
I went back and forth with some Fidelizer ROMs for the DX200 a while back. I thought that maybe(?) I could hear an improvement with one of the ROMs, but I really couldn't be sure. No way to eliminate placebo effects, and even if there was a difference, it wasn't large to my ears. I regularly read claims of folks that hear differences between firmware updates on various DAPs. I presume they either have really good memories, or have two devices (one with the older firmware still installed) in order to run the appropriate A/B tests. Personally, I can't properly A/B anything with more than a few seconds gap.

FWIW, I'm still enjoying firmware 3.3.0. I had problems with Tidal on the later updates, so rolled back to 3.3.0 where everything is working ok for me :)

Dec 8, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #17,697 of 18,020
I've been using v3.3.3 for a week and had 1 freeze on the initial use after the upgrade.

I do tend to clear the database and flush out any rubbish from the usual directories before an upgrade and then just re-scan my media afterwards.
It's only used offline with flacs but has been rock solid.

Revision to my previous statement. I'm getting jitter during playback of 192kHz/24bit flac files that was not there previously. Tried a fresh install of v3.3.3 and the jitter remained.
Dropped back to a fresh drop of v3.3.0 and playback of the same files are smooth with no issues.

Possibly the jitter could be linked to the slightly slower response of the UI - maybe the CPU is having issues keeping up on v3.3.3? It's the first time I've experienced any sound issues on any of the previous firmwares.

Anyone else able to test this out?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #17,698 of 18,020
Revision to my previous statement. I'm getting jitter during playback of 192kHz/24bit flac files that was not there previously. Tried a fresh install of v3.3.3 and the jitter remained.
Dropped back to a fresh drop of v3.3.0 and playback of the same files are smooth with no issues.

Possibly the jitter could be linked to the slightly slower response of the UI - maybe the CPU is having issues keeping up on v3.3.3? It's the first time I've experienced any sound issues on any of the previous firmwares.

Anyone else able to test this out?

Tidal wouldn't work for me on 3.3.3, so I also rolled back to 3.3.0, where everything is working fine for me. At this point, I'm not risking any further updates. My X7 works well enough for me and I don't want to have to go through the hassle of rolling back and re-installing everything.again.

Thanks for reporting this though. Can anybody else confirm this behavior with 192/24 files?

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #17,699 of 18,020
Me, constantly stoping/pausing playing for a second or more in the first 5 seconds of a song. Also sometimes this happens all over the duration of a song 3 or 4 times. Probabably because this FW is very more slowly and less responsive (responds slower).

Returned to FW3.3.0 and stick with it at the moment.

Dec 12, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #17,700 of 18,020
Where can i find a plastic case (not rigid like the X7 MKII) for the X7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back