Fiio X5iii Firmware Modification Project - PURIST REMIXED WITH 1.0.9 KERNEL
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #91 of 298
I wanted to try out this mod, but there are few concerns, as I have 0 knowledge in modding :wink:

1. The talks about the issue with 1.0.9 - this only happens when the player is left on, but with screen off? It's not happening when I fully power it off?
2. Is it easy to go back to official firmware?

@Cabrio - could you please describe the sound differences? I like the 1.1.4 sound, but sometimes the highs are a bit "metallic" (especially with voices). Is it better on the 1.0.9 version?

1. Happens when wifi is turned on and screen is off. Doesn't matter if you turn off wifi again, only way of fixing it is by rebooting with wifi off. Does not drain when device is off.

2. As easy as reflashing 1.1.1 with the same procedure!

I haven't done enough audio tests with both firmwares to confirm your last question though :wink:

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #92 of 298
about battery life. 7h 11min. routine scenario: pure music; shuffle with some skipping - srceen time about one hour, default brightness; volume 85-95, high gain; balanced output; flac's, few hi-res; wireless off; purist rom; governor power saving settings + greenify (but quite snappy interface after that). tomorrow will try streaming (tidal hifi).

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #93 of 298
  I wanted to try out this mod, but there are few concerns, as I have 0 knowledge in modding :wink:

1. The talks about the issue with 1.0.9 - this only happens when the player is left on, but with screen off? It's not happening when I fully power it off?

@Cabrio - could you please describe the sound differences? I like the 1.1.4 sound, but sometimes the highs are a bit "metallic" (especially with voices). Is it better on the 1.0.9 version?

1. It drains battery more than recent firmware. I heard people saying it's wifi wake lock bug or something similar. But I believe it's more than that like specific kernel configuration that improves audio performance but also draw more battery as well.
2. You can download and flash OTA firmware back at any time using Fiio app inside. There's also stock FW 1.1.1 in this link too so there's no risk in damaging your unit.

From my point of view, losing 1-2hrs of battery life isn't big deal to me since it lasts more than 7hrs already. But that could be just me so please let me know if you guys want me to change base kernel to 1.1.1 which I heard some people rolled back from 1.1.3 before. 

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #94 of 298

From my point of view, losing 1-2hrs of battery life isn't big deal to me since it lasts more than 7hrs already. But that could be just me so please let me know if you guys want me to change base kernel to 1.1.1 which I heard some people rolled back from 1.1.3 before. 

I agree with you with the battery life,

and for me Kernel 1.0.9 is the right choice.

Regards
Jürgen

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #95 of 298

@Cabrio - could you please describe the sound differences? I like the 1.1.4 sound, but sometimes the highs are a bit "metallic" (especially with voices). Is it better on the 1.0.9 versionO

I don't want to pretend myself a pro or bluff with jargon, I try to describe it a layman way, I hear mostly on two type of music, jazz and pop.  I hear better and focused vocal on jazz, and on pop range on high and low are widened obviously, in order words the whole experience is more musical and enjoyable.  

Flashing this is definitely no risk.  Put it to the understanding this way. For example, you are reinstalling your Dell PC with Linux for some fun, you don't like it, then you restore stock Windows 10 with the Dell restore discs.  Will it do any harm to your hardware or to the warranty, well I don't think so.

Pretty simple and straight forward to try it out, read the instructions, trust your ears and decide it your way.  Have fun.

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #96 of 298

The issue is not losing 1-2 hours battery when playing music.
The drain when not playing music with WiFi on is huge (nearly 8-9% per hour) and you can't actually turn WiFi off unless you reboot the DAP (=wakelock).
This is not a minor inconvenience.
I like the 1.0.9 signature a lot but recharging the DAP twice a day even when not using it is a no-go. Turning the DAP off to avoid the drain also is a pain.

But anyway, this is not your fault and your modifications made the UI much faster, so don't take it personally, you're doing a great job.

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #97 of 298
The drain when not playing music with WiFi on is huge (nearly 8-9% per hour) and you can't actually turn WiFi off unless you reboot the DAP (=wakelock).
This is not a minor inconvenience.
I like the 1.0.9 signature a lot but recharging the DAP twice a day even when not using it is a no-go. Turning the DAP off to avoid the drain also is a pain.

Yes, agreed. Great ROM, but in its current state with the WIFI wakelock, I had to go back to stock. Thank you Windows X.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #98 of 298

So I understand this correctly. Wifi is trully off, when I turn it off and additionally reboot the device? And than there's no battery drain?

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #99 of 298

So I understand this correctly. Wifi is trully off, when I turn it off and additionally reboot the device? And than there's no battery drain?

I wouldn't say no battery drain, but similar to what you get with the last official firmware (1-2% per hour).

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #102 of 298
I recommend auto power off feature.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #104 of 298
That means I'll have to use 1.1.1 kernel file to fix that wifi wakelock bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back