Fiio X5iii Firmware Modification Project - PURIST REMIXED WITH 1.0.9 KERNEL
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #286 of 298
hi, i really want to try WindowsX's rom and if everything goes well i would get the advance rom. but before i flash the rom how will i be able to go back to stock rom and where to get the stock rom? sorry for the noob question.

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #287 of 298
You REALLY doing a nice job, Thank you WindowsX:hugging:

With pleasure. :)

I was trying out WindowsX Purist Firmware based in 1.1.6 kernel several hours, and I understand why some people like the stock version more.

It is simple, by the artificial extension of the bass and the "laid back" highs.
It is a more "easy" sound for many, especially for those who listen music with a lot of bass

But it lacks detail and the bas is deliberately exaggerated.
IMHO: It is true that the WindowsX firmware would have to be polished a bit, but as this it had much higher SQ than the stock firmware, so far.

I have tried it with a Hifiman 400i and also by line-out with an Accuphase C-265 with Focal SM9 Studio Monitors, this is where the best SQ is seen.

That's also how I felt before releasing. I gave a lot of thoughts about this. First impressions on 1.1.6 wasn't bad. It was quite close to 1.0.9 sound signature though clearly inferior. I swapped between 1.1.1 and 1.1.6 kernel for about 6-8 rounds before deciding to stay with 1.1.1.

Since most advanced ROM users requested for 1.0.9 kernel for better sound quality, they don't find 1.0.9 sounding worse than 1.1.6 ones. But for 1.1.1 and 1.1.6, they're like different beasts and 1.0.9 is like 1.1.1 + 1.1.6 with some upgrades.

As most people are voting for 1.1.6 kernel, I may release an update with 1.1.6 as requested in next few days after finishing DX200 2.3.125 update.

hi, i really want to try WindowsX's rom and if everything goes well i would get the advance rom. but before i flash the rom how will i be able to go back to stock rom and where to get the stock rom? sorry for the noob question.

Sure. You can try my ROM according to instructions in first page. You can always flash stock 1.1.1 ROM back or use 1.1.6 OTA ROM to flash inside Fiio X5iii too. There's no need to worry about roll back with flashing tool available on both X5iii device and computer. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #288 of 298
What happens is that I do not speak English, so I can not understand some posts.

Now, for example, I do not understand which kernel is based the WindowsX firmware and why you want to update it.

For you which is the best sound firmware?

That and the download link, I would appreciate it very much to test thoroughly

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #289 of 298
What happens is that I do not speak English, so I can not understand some posts.

Now, for example, I do not understand which kernel is based the WindowsX firmware and why you want to update it.

For you which is the best sound firmware?

That and the download link, I would appreciate it very much to test thoroughly

Originally, I repacked 1.1.4 ROM with 1.0.9 kernel and some tweaks. Then some people informed me about WiFi wake lock issue in 1.0.9 kernel so I changed to 1.1.1 ones. After that, some advanced ROM users asked me to send 1.0.9 version and I did for them while keeping 1.1.1 for public ROM as before.

Now 1.1.6 comes out and some people start to prefer sound from 1.1.6 over 1.1.1 ones. For me I decided to stay with 1.1.1 but if public users want 1.1.6 version, I'll update for them in next release.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #290 of 298
Sure. You can try my ROM according to instructions in first page. You can always flash stock 1.1.1 ROM back or use 1.1.6 OTA ROM to flash inside Fiio X5iii too. There's no need to worry about roll back with flashing tool available on both X5iii device and computer. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee[/QUOTE]

is the update.img included in the flashing tool stock 1.1.1 ROM for x5iii or x7? well right now i'm enjoying your rom, it seems that its louder than stock and i like it! cymbals are bit fatiguing but tweaked viper to my liking and it sounds awesome. will do more testing tomorrow. good job @WindowsX :) tested on Oriveti Basics and Sony MDR1000x.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #291 of 298
is the update.img included in the flashing tool stock 1.1.1 ROM for x5iii or x7? well right now i'm enjoying your rom, it seems that its louder than stock and i like it! cymbals are bit fatiguing but tweaked viper to my liking and it sounds awesome. will do more testing tomorrow. good job @WindowsX :) tested on Oriveti Basics and Sony MDR1000x.

You're welcome. It sounds like you may prefer 1.1.6 kernel over 1.1.1 ones.

Jun 29, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #295 of 298
No, 1.0.9 kernel sound much better, more detail, more highs, no dull sound.
Always use line out Fiio X5 III > Accuphase C 265 > Focal SM9 , always use Dsd files, no headphones because I don't use the DAPs without amp, they no have enough power.

Jun 30, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #297 of 298
No, 1.0.9 kernel sound much better, more detail, more highs, no dull sound.
Always use line out Fiio X5 III > Accuphase C 265 > Focal SM9 , always use Dsd files, no headphones because I don't use the DAPs without amp, they no have enough power.

there is no dull sound on 1.1.6,,, thats funny...there is nothing like som much better then... its always that thingy called
"subjective"

And for the other modifications.... i have myself heavy modified android on x5 III... more about speed, battery life... for the sound... i want finally see some graphs, numbers, measurements - serious stuff... not some heavy duty voodoo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back