Fiio X5iii Firmware Modification Project - PURIST REMIXED WITH 1.0.9 KERNEL
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #226 of 298
I have guessed this will ultimately evolve into a hardware mod as a similar business tactic with other DAP. At least this may be more convincing to some than having just firmware modification to improve sound quality, which is placebo to many.

Feels like same tactic as iPod to iMod path again.

Guessing this mod will cost another arm and a leg, and confirm killing the warranty, as well as a drop in resale value.

I am really happy with the official FW 1.0.9 which sounds better than the updated Purist ROM, and keeping my warranty intact and booting without a weird logo.

I am permanently out of this thread.

Good luck.

If it's placebo to many then you shouldn't hear any difference in 1.0.9 firmware at all. You're contradicting yourself here by stating 1.0.9 sounding better and my mod is a placebo. I used to do Purist ROM with 1.0.9 like the topic's name but most free users asked for 1.1.1 to fix wifi wake lock. Maybe you overlooked a few things in this topic to make such comment like that.

I understand it may cost beyond your budget for some serious high quality mods but you don't need to lash out on me like that. You can go buy opamps, caps and stuff and do some DIY work yourself. You can try cooking your own ROM too if you are skilled enough. I'm just giving a warning to newcomers that they should do it with skilled technician as I saw a few people fried their board and send it to my friend who modded mine to fix it.

Also, I don't do overcharge mod OK? Those parts I used are very expensive so don't compare me to iMod where removing capacitors and soldering some wires costing a few hundreds. I couldn't say much since it'll violate ToS but I did this for fun. Do not lump me together with business modding company. That's offensive and I don't appreciate it.

I did this high level mod on my own device and I don't expect people to do this level of modding on sub $500 DAP budget. I always give fair advice to everyone asking about modding hardware too. You can check on DX200 thread and see for yourself. Anyway, I appreciate your feedback. I also think having another amp module for DX200 modded would be a good idea to mod DX200 without voiding warranty as well.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #227 of 298
asked in the x5 3rd official thread but didn't get an answer. So ill just ask here. Is there a way of getting viper4android to work ? because I realized the Equalizer doesn't work on spotify it doesn't change the sound at all. Does anybody know how to get the EQ working on spotify or if you can get third party Equalizers and use it on the x5 ?

May 16, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #228 of 298
asked in the x5 3rd official thread but didn't get an answer. So ill just ask here. Is there a way of getting viper4android to work ? because I realized the Equalizer doesn't work on spotify it doesn't change the sound at all. Does anybody know how to get the EQ working on spotify or if you can get third party Equalizers and use it on the x5 ?
Hello... i tried everything.... but only viper4android worked...and only with bluetooth headset, speakers...headset - no effect... where perfect when fiio makes the eq and even viper from pure music mode would affect another apps ... maybe write them or... viper4android guitardedhero worked only in bluetooth mode after root.. heavier problems with spotify are the offline files removing after every reboot...

May 16, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #229 of 298
Hello... i tried everything.... but only viper4android worked...and only with bluetooth headset, speakers...headset - no effect... where perfect when fiio makes the eq and even viper from pure music mode would affect another apps ... maybe write them or... viper4android guitardedhero worked only in bluetooth mode after root.. heavier problems with spotify are the offline files removing after every reboot...

yea hope they fix these problems but I doubt it will happen any time soon. Debating weather I should look after another DAP that doesn't have these problems with spotify but besides the x7 I haven't found any with a strong amp like the x5 iii. Guess I just have to wait till someone comes up with a solution for this

May 16, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #230 of 298
It's possible to make Viper4Android supporting whole platform. But since this is purist ROM, adding viper support goes against my policy so I won't implement this on public Purist ROM. I can cook a custom rom personally so it won't affect my main work.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #231 of 298
It's possible to make Viper4Android supporting whole platform. But since this is purist ROM, adding viper support goes against my policy so I won't implement this on public Purist ROM. I can cook a custom rom personally so it won't affect my main work.

Regards,
Keetakawee
question is will viper4android work for spotify then or not that is my biggest problem right now getting a damn EQ to work with the App lol

May 17, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #232 of 298
question is will viper4android work for spotify then or not that is my biggest problem right now getting a damn EQ to work with the App lol

Of course. I can make it working with Spotify.

Regards,
Keetakawee

May 17, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #234 of 298
ill get back to you getting a cayin i5 Friday seeing if I like it better if not ill hit you up

Sure, I can also mod i5 as well so let me know which device you want me to help with your needs.

Regards,
Keetakawee

May 22, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #235 of 298
As some advanced ROM users requested for 1.0.9 kernel, I'd like to inform you can get 1.0.9 kernel version too for better sound quality but that'll have wifi wake lock issue requiring system shutdown to fix it.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Jun 8, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #237 of 298
Where I can get it?

That's for advanced ROM users with more features and ROM customization services. Public Purist ROM will have only one version and most people requested for 1.1.1 with WiFi Wake lock fix so I changed to 1.1.1 kernel according to public requests.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Jun 8, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #238 of 298
I heard 1.1.6 kernel sounds a lot better than before so compared it to 1.0.9 and 1.1.1 today. What I like in 1.1.6 kernel is satisfying lows with smooth midrange. It's quite polar opposite of 1.1.4 kernel and surely more enoyable than 1.1.5 kernel. However, high frequency is rounded giving dulling sounding signature.

I still find 1.0.9 performing a lot better than 1.1.6 and prefer 1.1.1 over 1.1.6 for overall performance. 1.1.6 has smoother midrange than 1.1.1 but everything else went downhill. 1.1.1 still gives better slam of dynamics, sparking highs, much closer to real sound performance.

I will publish Purist ROM 1.1.6 soon after deodexing and apply some optimizations later like usual. (fingers crossed)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Jun 10, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #239 of 298
Hi guys. I've uploaded Purist ROM 1.1.6 here.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/d6pax82vo0w6jhj/X5iii-1.1.6-WindowsX-Purist.zip

I tried to implement new changes but not all bugs are resolved yet so I'll update again later when it's done. Here's some changes for Advanced ROM users.

-Optimized Apollo, Fiio Music app and Evie launcher to further improve app performance
-Removed HibyMusic app as its internal USB audio module is interfering with Fiio's USB audio implementation
-Replaced built-in input method with latest GBoard

I hope you'll find 1.1.6 repacked version sounding better than before. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Jun 11, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #240 of 298
Ah. I forget to inform advanced ROM users about choosing 1.0.9 or 1.1.1 kernel for version 1.1.6 update. 1.0.9 has better dynamics and midrange but comes with wifi wake lock bug. 1.1.1 is the best sounding version without wifi wake lock bug.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back