Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
Dec 17, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #346 of 578
He knows it doesnt work right and he tells people to wipe there device because it data or a bad device and thats a lie. Its not like I was trying not to bring it up but your going to get me going. I dont think I have to pretend that it works to make someone feel better. Im working on getting the source code from Fiio myself and see if I can figure something out but no im no developer either. Its hard but its also like I said he takes fiios code and then takes other code off github and puts it in his code and hopefully it works. Its not like he wrote the kernel. It doesnt work right and you can take that to the bank. In my eyes I might be new to this thread but I can tell I have more experience then anyone else on here. Try to knock me cause im new.. To what android or sound. By the way guys no one can hear high res if you want to test that theres videos on youtube that go up in frequency and after 18000 I bet you cant hear anything either. Its just clearer sounding

Dude, breathe and pull it together a bit. I don’t know much about the tech side of this thread, but to me, you’ve already invalidated yourself. Aside from being an ass, “high res” doesn’t mean high frequency ... resolution refers to quality, yet you posted a video testing pitch perception. Showing a lack of comprehension of a few of the most basic terms in this field.

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #347 of 578
Dude, breathe and pull it together a bit. I don’t know much about the tech side of this thread, but to me, you’ve already invalidated yourself. Aside from being an ass, “high res” doesn’t mean high frequency ... resolution refers to quality, yet you posted a video testing pitch perception. Showing a lack of comprehension of a few of the most basic terms in this field.

Im not into sound im into android I admitted that with asking about the eq. But yes high res does involve frequency because the high res headphones go up to 40000hz and the regular headphones 20000hz. So it does fit. Thank you Im always aware of 1 bit DSD with high khz and not compressed and they play the same on any android. I can tell you a snapdragon 820 is 10 times the cpu that the fiio has and can do anything the fiio can and more so you would be better to add a DAC on your phone.

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #348 of 578
Im not into sound im into android I admitted that with asking about the eq. But yes high res does involve frequency because the high res headphones go up to 40000hz and the regular headphones 20000hz. So it does fit. Thank you Im always aware of 1 bit DSD with high khz and not compressed and they play the same on any android. I can tell you a snapdragon 820 is 10 times the cpu that the fiio has and can do anything the fiio can and more so you would be better to add a DAC on your phone.

Also I can tell you this viper sounds better on any android than that fiio does stock and if you over to XDA everyone knows that. Thats why everyone bitch when they removed viper from the music app. Its not hard to hear real sound difference. The warmer and brighter those dont describe sound thats sight and feeling.

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #351 of 578

Also I said it over and over my S7 sounds better and then once I did the audio flinger test and went into the system files I found just that. The USB DAC is 16 bit my s7 is 24bit with 192khz and it is better so I was right. Its not 24 bits only high res headphones but like I said viper sounds better.

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #353 of 578
Shhh. You talk too much. No one wants your nonsensical rambling.

lol funny I think everyone does want to hear it because im saying what everyone has been thinking but didnt want to admit those players are over rated. But on that note I got mine sounding great all you have to do is add the real android sound lib files and flash a zip and its clear as my s7 now. LOL I bet mine sounds better than anyones.

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #354 of 578
That fiio was like a bowl of rice crispy treats it snapped crackled and popped. Its been driving me nuts even with viper it still was missing. Its because fiio tried doing the sound libs different and they didnt do a good job. I got it sound great now. It doesn't snap or hiss and pop with viper the bass works right sounds great.

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #355 of 578
Shhh. You talk too much. No one wants your nonsensical rambling.

I think its sad when people become keyboard warriors you and that other guy just came out and started in on me and I dont even know you. Do you normally start stuff with people. I didnt start stuff with the guy that made the kernel or either of you. I just didnt want to see anyone else waste there time and thats the honest thing to do. You just want to lie and say its a good kernel. Ok fine its excellent im sure you got it going 2.2ghz to lol. Im sure you are on stock or 1.4 which is stock with the lower frequencies taken out so it seems faster. It doesnt go down to 312mhz in stand by. Its 800 and higher all the time. If you take kernel auditor mod and clock to 1400 and set it to performance governor you get better of stock. Like I said I can watch youtube videos no problem run spotify and viper. I had 7 apps running without a problem after freezing google services and playstore.

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #356 of 578
Last thing if you do use the custom kernel do you notice its warm even when you dont use it? Thats because the clock speed never drops below 800 and it should be fine but it might wear your cpu out quicker. I dont know. Thats why the battery drain is also faster. When your using it thats fine max it out at 1400 but if its sitting on a charger doing nothing and the cpu is running hot I dont know. Im just letting you guys know. IT needs to cool down at times or power it off.

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #358 of 578
I think its sad when people become keyboard warriors you and that other guy just came out and started in on me and I dont even know you. Do you normally start stuff with people. I didnt start stuff with the guy that made the kernel or either of you. I just didnt want to see anyone else waste there time and thats the honest thing to do. You just want to lie and say its a good kernel. Ok fine its excellent im sure you got it going 2.2ghz to lol. Im sure you are on stock or 1.4 which is stock with the lower frequencies taken out so it seems faster. It doesnt go down to 312mhz in stand by. Its 800 and higher all the time. If you take kernel auditor mod and clock to 1400 and set it to performance governor you get better of stock. Like I said I can watch youtube videos no problem run spotify and viper. I had 7 apps running without a problem after freezing google services and playstore.

Ok, this one post is worth a response.

First off, it's important for everyone to know here that you've actually done a great job with v4a. When I had bought my first X5iii almost 2 years ago, I hadn't managed to install it and spent quite a few weeks trying to get it work. That you have managed, and also identified why my kernel didn't work with it (different versions of busybox) is testament to your hard work on this. And I have to hand it to you - for some of my music (the 128kbps soundcloud and low-res MP3s) it actually does sound more coloured. I wish I could get 2.5.0.4 working as I have a good set of compressor filters to test, but - credit to you for getting us this far. Actually thinking of including the installers in v3.5 for anyone that's interested in using v4a - and crediting you for it.

Sadly, you're wrong about pretty much everything else. Truth be told, there are a lot of successful users on 2016MHz here (which incidentally is just 12% higher than base clock), and frankly there are ways you can prove it without resorting to hating what's been accomplished here just because it's not possible on yours. And I do have a 2208MHz kernel, but the honest truth is that it's just not stable enough for release. And interestingly, I thought there would be a 20% performance increase on 2016 but guess what - there isn't (it's about 8-12% on synthetic benchmarks at best, so really not worth the effort).

As to your comment on 312MHz; yes I removed the lower frequencies because frankly they're impractical with this player. There's also another - more important - reason why. An increasingly good amount of research out there shows that with lesser frequency steps you get lower heat dissipation and better long-term battery life; so I've limited the kernel to 504/816/1008/1416/1704/1896/2016 (the latter three just depend on the type of kernel you choose on installation).

I don't doubt you get good performance with 1416 and perf governor. But that's because your player will only be running at max speed all the time - and your battery will die quickly and your player will heat up. If you don't want to ruin the life of the player, take my (free) advice; install my 1416 version and use the default settings. You'll get the iX governor which is much more energy efficient *and* you'll save 20% of RAM due to an incorrectly configured bug by Rockchip that eats up unnecessary RAM for a nonexistent GPU. If you read my advice carefully (just as I did to follow your instructions to get v4a working) you'll thank me for it.

And please, don't comment on the quality of my github. I'm not a software engineer or developer by trade, so have learnt how to build as I go along. I've also learnt enough in life to know that I should share anything I've made so that others can benefit.

Or, as I said before, don't listen to my advice and flame. I've happy either way, and credited you for the good stuff you've achieved on v4a. So the moral high-ground is yours for the taking.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #359 of 578
Ok, this one post is worth a response.

First off, it's important for everyone to know here that you've actually done a great job with v4a. When I had bought my first X5iii almost 2 years ago, I hadn't managed to install it and spent quite a few weeks trying to get it work. That you have managed, and also identified why my kernel didn't work with it (different versions of busybox) is testament to your hard work on this. And I have to hand it to you - for some of my music (the 128kbps soundcloud and low-res MP3s) it actually does sound more coloured. I wish I could get 2.5.0.4 working as I have a good set of compressor filters to test, but - credit to you for getting us this far. Actually thinking of including the installers in v3.5 for anyone that's interested in using v4a - and crediting you for it.

Sadly, you're wrong about pretty much everything else. Truth be told, there are a lot of successful users on 2016MHz here (which incidentally is just 12% higher than base clock), and frankly there are ways you can prove it without resorting to hating what's been accomplished here just because it's not possible on yours. And I do have a 2208MHz kernel, but the honest truth is that it's just not stable enough for release. And interestingly, I thought there would be a 20% performance increase on 2016 but guess what - there isn't (it's about 8-12% on synthetic benchmarks at best, so really not worth the effort).

As to your comment on 312MHz; yes I removed the lower frequencies because frankly they're impractical with this player. There's also another - more important - reason why. An increasingly good amount of research out there shows that with lesser frequency steps you get lower heat dissipation and better long-term battery life; so I've limited the kernel to 504/816/1008/1416/1704/1896/2016 (the latter three just depend on the type of kernel you choose on installation).

I don't doubt you get good performance with 1416 and perf governor. But that's because your player will only be running at max speed all the time - and your battery will die quickly and your player will heat up. If you don't want to ruin the life of the player, take my (free) advice; install my 1416 version and use the default settings. You'll get the iX governor which is much more energy efficient *and* you'll save 20% of RAM due to an incorrectly configured bug by Rockchip that eats up unnecessary RAM for a nonexistent GPU. If you read my advice carefully (just as I did to follow your instructions to get v4a working) you'll thank me for it.

And please, don't comment on the quality of my github. I'm not a software engineer or developer by trade, so have learnt how to build as I go along. I've also learnt enough in life to know that I should share anything I've made so that others can benefit.

Or, as I said before, don't listen to my advice and flame. I've happy either way, and credited you for the good stuff you've achieved on v4a. So the moral high-ground is yours for the taking.

I appreciate everything you said about viper. I don't run performance all the time I use interactive or conservative. I only use performance when I'm using it. I said that you having if clocked to 800 is a overheat problem and truth be told it is but honestly there metal chips there supposed to handle 200 degrees actually. So the only problem I see is that fast charge won't work if it's to hot. So having it clocked at 800 is and isn't a problem. I understand everyone hates seeing me post stuff all the time but truthfully I know that no one will admit it but viper sounds better than not having it and they will listen to the post even if they won't admit it. I'm sure everyone has it on the system except the one guy who has to much pride to admit that it does sound better. I get the same crap on XDA I figured out how to restore the efs partition on the Samsung tab after a bad twrp ruined are Bluetooth that took a week and everyone else gets pissed because there jealous I actually know a little about this stuff. Honestly I got my device from a great source for 200 dollars and at first I felt like I was ripped off there over rated unless you don't have viper on your phone you even know that. So everyone gets pissed that I keep saying that because you spent your money on something that you could have gotten free. I was almost going to send out a phone with viper for the first guy to keep I have plently but thank God I didn't. I'm that confident in what I'm saying. So if anyone doesn't know sound it's these guys on here that lie to themselves about it being better than Android it's the same thing exactly just louder god I want to scream it.

Yes even with viper it's still sounds bad on the fiio without a doubt that's because the sound libs are off and viper doesn't work the same I fixed that today but to hell with helping you guys. Peace out

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #360 of 578
No one has that running at 2hz for very long it will boot and then it freezes real quick . There not all crap devices except the one you got. Sorry not buying it . Why even release another kernel then it can't work if everyone has a crappy device. Tell me the firmware and kernel version I'll make it happen I have the Japanese model it's brand new and it's a bad cpu. If that was true all of them would be failing because fiio would have clocked it out with there firmware and they didn't they set it to 1400. You want me to email them and ask them if they can replace everyone's device because there's guys that say they can get 2.2ghz. sorry it's not true quit telling people that.

Yes the chip is 600mhz gpu and 1.8ghz CPU with llddr2 ram actually which is slow. But it won't do it. You need a higher voltage to run smoothly and not lock up you can add that to your kernel if you learn how.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back