Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
Dec 17, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #361 of 578
I appreciate everything you said about viper. I don't run performance all the time I use interactive or conservative. I only use performance when I'm using it. I said that you having if clocked to 800 is a overheat problem and truth be told it is but honestly there metal chips there supposed to handle 200 degrees actually. So the only problem I see is that fast charge won't work if it's to hot. So having it clocked at 800 is and isn't a problem. I understand everyone hates seeing me post stuff all the time but truthfully I know that no one will admit it but viper sounds better than not having it and they will listen to the post even if they won't admit it. I'm sure everyone has it on the system except the one guy who has to much pride to admit that it does sound better. I get the same crap on XDA I figured out how to restore the efs partition on the Samsung tab after a bad twrp ruined are Bluetooth that took a week and everyone else gets pissed because there jealous I actually know a little about this stuff. Honestly I got my device from a great source for 200 dollars and at first I felt like I was ripped off there over rated unless you don't have viper on your phone you even know that. So everyone gets pissed that I keep saying that because you spent your money on something that you could have gotten free. I was almost going to send out a phone with viper for the first guy to keep I have plently but thank God I didn't. I'm that confident in what I'm saying. So if anyone doesn't know sound it's these guys on here that lie to themselves about it being better than Android it's the same thing exactly just louder god I want to scream it.

Yes even with viper it's still sounds bad on the fiio without a doubt that's because the sound libs are off and viper doesn't work the same I fixed that today but to hell with helping you guys. Peace out

You would do better to consolidate your instructions for V4A & thereby add to the value of the player, instead of acting like a DIVA across both X5iii threads.

The player is never ‘locked’ to 800 MHz in standby. My player is sitting unused at 21.3°C. 1704 version goes down to 696 and below that is deep sleep. Where it’s been for the last 21 hours and 52 minutes. Why are you saying it’s getting hot?

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #362 of 578
You would do better to consolidate your instructions for V4A & thereby add to the value of the player, instead of acting like a DIVA across both X5iii threads.

The player is never ‘locked’ to 800 MHz in standby. My player is sitting unused at 21.3°C. 1704 version goes down to 696 and below that is deep sleep. Where it’s been for the last 21 hours and 52 minutes. Why are you saying it’s getting hot?

Your not on kernel 3.4 then see you dont even know he admitted it. Im a diva its got 2 sdcards and its sounds great. Ok

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #363 of 578
Your tether to reality is astoundingly thin.

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #364 of 578
I’m asking why you think overheating is a problem, when the device goes into deep sleep on idle?

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #365 of 578

Go ahead flash 3.4 and use kernel auditor to show me the clock speed below 696. Ill be waiting its cool take your time. I was trying to contribute theres a lot of little things that I didnt think of so I had to keep coming back. Its not everyday I need to disable DVC in poweramp and tell people. I also didnt think anyone was using hes kernel and need to know how to install busybox and thats why I figured it out.

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #366 of 578
I’m asking why you think overheating is a problem, when the device goes into deep sleep on idle?

Im already asking you for the clock speed below 696 on the 3.4 kernel. Dont change the topic I dont use the damn thing enough and im not going to flash it again. I said I dont know if its a problem it shouldnt be its metal. It could throttle the charging speed most phones do.

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #367 of 578

Besides that I honestly dont care if mine burns up but it doesnt go below 696 on 3.4 ever it cant that speed is removed so itll run hotter. It should be fine IT SHOULD BE ABLE TO STAY AT 1.8 ALL DAY. YOU GUYS SUCK 2 years no one got viper working 1 week nailed it.

Dec 17, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #368 of 578
I explain on my device it clocks down to 696. That’s all I was pointing out. It goes lower than 800.

Smartpack kernel manager shows “Deep Sleep” below 696 MHz. So it’s some mystery frequency on idle. Beats me! I don’t see where the concern about operating temperature is coming from.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 17, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #369 of 578
I wanted to take my time to explain high res and frequency. The frequency’s that people cant hear are taking out of audio recordings so they can compress the file and make it still sound the same. That’s how Mp3 works. You cant hear past 18-20000hz. So why use more data and leave it in. When removing it properly that leaves a good quality 320kps that 99 percent of people think sounds perfect. Flac is all of the frequencies left in and uncompressed. This is supposed to make the song sound more authentic. So they make high res headphones that go up to 40000hz-12000hz and as low as 5hz. The thought is that if the sounds able to be played with all the frequency’s then it will sound better and not congested. Now DSD is in my opinion a home run and a miss. I don’t think you can you can say Miles Davis is DSD because that means its been up sampled because they didn’t record him in DXD. Now up sampling if you are a music buff isn’t as good as if its really recorded at DXD. However the Eagles hotel California same thing but that song truly sounds amazing and shows off DSD. So I guess I’m not as stupid as I thought but I’m clearly not as experienced as you guys because as pointed out that has nothing to do with high res music.

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #370 of 578
I wanted to take my time to explain high res and frequency. The frequency’s that people cant hear are taking out of audio recordings so they can compress the file and make it still sound the same. That’s how Mp3 works. You cant hear past 18-20000hz. So why use more data and leave it in. When removing it properly that leaves a good quality 320kps that 99 percent of people think sounds perfect. Flac is all of the frequencies left in and uncompressed. This is supposed to make the song sound more authentic. So they make high res headphones that go up to 40000hz-12000hz and as low as 5hz. The thought is that if the sounds able to be played with all the frequency’s then it will sound better and not congested. Now DSD is in my opinion a home run and a miss. I don’t think you can you can say Miles Davis is DSD because that means its been up sampled because they didn’t record him in DXD. Now up sampling if you are a music buff isn’t as good as if its really recorded at DXD. However the Eagles hotel California same thing but that song truly sounds amazing and shows off DSD. So I guess I’m not as stupid as I thought but I’m clearly not as experienced as you guys because as pointed out that has nothing to do with high res music.

For me DSD is BS, there no way that a human can tell the difference between FLAC and DSD, this is what i think, snake oil as with audiophile grade cables again snake oil. How a song is recorded is even more important compared with the container that we choose, either we speak 320 mp3 or flac. Now granted is better to have flac but DSD are useless, unless we need to fill up quickly the new 6TB HDD we just bought for Black Friday.

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #371 of 578
By wipe I am assuming you mean to run the FIIO firmware upgrade tool. Is that a correct assumption?

Fear not - though it sounds like you have a data corruption issue. You'll have to wipe the player and re-install FiiO firmware (1.2.3 recommended) before installing the kernel again. Choose 1416 to be safe, then when everything's working normally bump it up to 1704 (no more).

Dec 17, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #372 of 578
Dec 17, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #373 of 578
Hey, everybody. I haven't written on this forum once, but I think you all know exactly who I am.

First, I want to thank everyone for using our custom kernel. Jkbuha and I appreciate your feedback and reasonable criticism. Also, we always try to listen to your requests and try never to refuse help if it is possible.

I periodically read messages in Head-Fi, but more often than not I can be found on the 4PDA forum. I decided to write because I noticed that some people had a lot of questions. Well, I can answer them.

I will answer briefly, because if I go into details, I will have to spend more than one day writing this details. I hope you're not offended by that.

1. Bluetooth Sound Transmission : Since the FiiO X5-3 does not support AptX HD codec, we are limited to the AptX codec. It's a pretty old, simple and computationally fast codec, without psychoacoustics, using Adaptive Differential Pulse Code Modulation (ADPCM) that was created in 1988. It differs from AptX HD (which is not present in the X5-3) in that it differs only in encoding parameters. The technology itself has remained the same. The codec has only one parameter - sampling frequency selection. AptX divides the audio into 4 frequency bands and quantifies them with the same number of bits at all times: 8 bits for 0-5.5 kHz, 4 bits for 5.5-11 kHz, 2 bits for 11-16.5 kHz, 2 bits for 16.5-22 kHz (digits for 44.1 kHz sampling rate). When creating the codec, the authors calculated ADPCM coefficients on a set of music files. The closer the audio signal is to the set of music on which the tables were based, the fewer quantization errors (noise) are created by AptX. Because of this, synthetic tests will always produce worse results than music. Despite this, AptX can be considered an acceptable codec for audio streaming. The maximum audio quality parameters for AptX are as follows: 48 kHz \ 16 bit. Is that enough to listen to high quality music without loss - yes. Is that enough for you? It's up to you. Is it possible to say that the majority of modern smartphones transmit sound via Bluetooth better than the FiiO X5-3 - yes. Bluetooth in the X5-3 is not its strong point, but just an extra option.

2. Comparison of sound quality over Bluetooth and wired connection : In this case, it's simple. No, even the newest Bluetooth codecs (Aptx-HD; LDAC; e.t.c) are capable of transmitting audio signal at the same level as wired analogues. For example, LDAC, quite new and actively promoted "Hi-Res" codec from Sony, supports sample rate up to 96 kHz and 24-bit bit rate, with bitrate up to 990 kbps. However, these are the maximum possible reference parameters, which can be achieved only on paper. In reality, things are a little worse. Besides, will come nearer to the maximum parametre of transfer, you can only in that case if both your source and your receiver, work under report Bluetooth 5.0. The maximum output parameters of the X5-3 are much higher than this. Whether it is heard in a real life - yes, as at processing of a sound under report Bluetooth, DACs do not participate.

3. V4A and Magisk questions: Guys, I honestly don't understand why you guys are having this conversation on this topic. I'll answer very quickly. Was it possible to install Magisk on the X5-3 - yes. It was possible a year and a half ago. Was it possible to install V4A on the X5-3, with or without new firmware, or without FiiO Music - yes. As an experiment, I did it myself six months ago. If you were interested in this topic, you could have asked me about it at 4PDA. However, I am glad that those who needed to figure it out for themselves. The only request is that you don't have to put so much pathos into it, because there's nothing more than an ordinary one. Projects V4A and Magisk created a long time ago and there are no problems with their launch on Android 5.1.

4. Deep Sleep Frequences : The frequency in this mode has no constant value. As a rule, it is several times less than the minimum frequency set in the kernel. It is not possible to determine the exact frequency in this mode because it is constantly changing. It changes under the influence of the whole cascade of kernel modules, its scheduler, etc.

5. Overheating on a custom kernel: It is necessary to determine at once that overheating of X5-3 is possible on any kernel. It can happen for many reasons and some of them can be very exotic. For example, the X5-3 may simply burn if you use the free version of the Neutron player. During neutron track playback, when using the free version, sooner or later, music playback will stop. If at this time your player has been locked and the screen has not worked, the neutron output process will hang and will be very heavy on the CPU. As a result, the player can operate at its maximum frequencies for several hours. All this leads to overheating of the player. In RK installed in X5-3, there is no CPU temperature sensor, therefore, there is no trottling mechanism. The temperature is monitored only by the thermo-sensor of the battery and when the battery reaches dangerous temperatures, the player will be immediately switched off and go into protective mode. I have witnessed many similar cases myself during the test.

Returning to the question of overheating on a custom kernel. Taking into account what I have described above, overheating is possible on the custom kernel as well. However, it is often the user's fault alone. Otherwise, they are the problems of the hardware part. We conducted a lot of tests and in terms of scenarios, the custom kernel operating at 1.7 GHz - 2 GHz was colder than the stock kernel operating at a maximum frequency of 1.4 GHz.

There were many more questions about kernel, system processes, hardware parts, etc. Unfortunately, I just can't spend any more time painting all these details now. Besides, I don't see much point in it, because the users asking these questions don't have the necessary knowledge to understand exactly what they're talking about. I beg you not to be offended by this statement. I do not want to offend anyone. Simply, if a person is an engineer or works in similar IT fields, he will not ask such questions, since he already knows how it works. If you really have questions for me about the work of the custom kernel (or any other) you can always ask them in personal correspondence.

The last thing I want to ask is to be a little kinder to each other. We created this project primarily for ourselves, but we do not mind sharing it with others. We do not require money, although we spent more than a year on development, testing, promotion, etc. We do not force you to use our product, for this reason everyone who for some reason does not suit it may not use it. This is exclusively your business. However, if you want to receive feedback from our side, then keep calm and do not go beyond pleasant communication.

I hope that I managed to convey to you my thoughts.

Thank you all again. You all are awesome :)

P.S. I apologize for the poor level of English. Many here are aware that I am Russian-speaking. However, I tried to be clear :p

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #374 of 578
Just wanted to thank you here @prispewnic especially in this forum for all the great work we did together this year.

We had some really tough technical challenges to accomplish this year (particularly the linux kernel refactoring and the anxiety I/O scheduler implementation), and it's proof that with good teamwork a plan really comes together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back