Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
Dec 10, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #332 of 578
Just a quick reply to say that your exFat suggestion has sorted my external_SD1 issue - many thanks :smile_phones:

@jkbuha
A bit of positive feedback: my X5iii has been running noticeably better since my last post and I even got the confidence to redo the process and raise it up to the middle speed (1752MHz wasn't it?) and all is good so far with only 1 freeze that was probably an app playing up.
The one thing I have noticed was how much quicker my PC detects the SD cards when I connect the FiiO now - perhaps that's another benefit of exFat.

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #333 of 578
Grrrrrr…..I am some kind of goofball. Everything was fine and then I thought Id try a faster speed and ever since then I cannot get the new firmware to not freeze during boot no matter what speed I am installing. Everything goes well and then moments after the "machine will reboot in 20 minutes" notice comes up everything freezes. If I act quickly and reboot as soon as I see the reboot notice I can reboot but that reboot freezes. Any ides what I am doing wrong? I've tried everything I can think of but.....no luck.

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #334 of 578
Fear not - though it sounds like you have a data corruption issue. You'll have to wipe the player and re-install FiiO firmware (1.2.3 recommended) before installing the kernel again. Choose 1416 to be safe, then when everything's working normally bump it up to 1704 (no more).

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #335 of 578
Grrrrrr…..I am some kind of goofball. Everything was fine and then I thought Id try a faster speed and ever since then I cannot get the new firmware to not freeze during boot no matter what speed I am installing. Everything goes well and then moments after the "machine will reboot in 20 minutes" notice comes up everything freezes. If I act quickly and reboot as soon as I see the reboot notice I can reboot but that reboot freezes. Any ides what I am doing wrong? I've tried everything I can think of but.....no luck.

You dont have data corruption the kernel will not work over 1400mhz on any device period. I cant listen to this. You need to go into TWRP and flash image in the bottom Right of stock boot. Or if you made a backup restore the boot and only the boot and reboot. Heres kernel 1.1.2 it works like no other perfectly and fast manufacturers slow there devices down at the end so you'll buy another one my fiio works like beautifully now. Im on 1.2.1 with this kernel flash image twrp. Trust me flash that and dont wipe cache reboot. Watch you can run 5 apps at once thats what companies do every update after a couple years is worse on purpose.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18DC1VoNrmOMH1ERk8DYWT2RseHbpfK8v/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #336 of 578
You dont have data corruption the kernel will not work over 1400mhz on any device period. I cant listen to this.

On some devices period. RK3188 chips are clocked to run at 1800Mhz. They are downclocked because they don't have good passive components. As I explained to you on PM there are (at least) 3 different die qualities for this chipset in the FiiO. Hence why a decent batch of devices can run easily at 2016.

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #337 of 578
On some devices period. RK3188 chips are clocked to run at 1800Mhz. They are downclocked because they don't have good passive components. As I explained to you on PM there are (at least) 3 different die qualities for this chipset in the FiiO. Hence why a decent batch of devices can run easily at 2016.

Im sorry the device will not work properly on the kernel over 1400. First you said your device is slow and a bitch to restore then you said its insane fast at 2.2ghz. The chinese model the one I also have. You cant tell people its there device when you know it wont work on your device either man. Theres nothing wrong with that its life. I cant make anything better.

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #338 of 578
Not even going to comment on that.

I guess you'll have to run independent benchmarks such as geekbench or antutu and then compare them online with others to see if 1704, 2016 or even higher exist. That's why independent benchmarks exist in this world.

Don't feel bad about having a 1416 player. With my kernel you'll still get additional ram, faster compression and better handling of files when compared to vanilla. Or else don't install it. I don't run this project to make any money so happy either way.

Dec 17, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #339 of 578
The rockchip 3188 is clocked 1.8ghz for tablets and android TV sticks. I dont know what fiio did with the kernel code but its been changed thats why magisk wont work. They also slowed it down to make the device have longer battery life.
Not even going to comment on that.

I guess you'll have to run independent benchmarks such as geekbench or antutu and then compare them online with others to see if 1704, 2016 or even higher exist. That's why independent benchmarks exist in this world.

Don't feel bad about having a 1416 player. With my kernel you'll still get additional ram, faster compression and better handling of files when compared to vanilla. Or else don't install it. I don't run this project to make any money so happy either way.

Yes it'll work but it'll stall in a few minutes.

Dec 17, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #340 of 578
First time I installed the kernel it had issues at mid speed. Backed it down to slow speed and had success. Next update I tried fast speed with zero issues and the FIIO works great.

Trying to understand why new guy shows up on a thread to insult the effort's of a generous person who has given freely to people by improving something for nothing.

Dec 17, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #341 of 578
First time I installed the kernel it had issues at mid speed. Backed it down to slow speed and had success. Next update I tried fast speed with zero issues and the FIIO works great.

Trying to understand why new guy shows up on a thread to insult the effort's of a generous person who has given freely to people by improving something for nothing.

He knows it doesnt work right and he tells people to wipe there device because it data or a bad device and thats a lie. Its not like I was trying not to bring it up but your going to get me going. I dont think I have to pretend that it works to make someone feel better. Im working on getting the source code from Fiio myself and see if I can figure something out but no im no developer either. Its hard but its also like I said he takes fiios code and then takes other code off github and puts it in his code and hopefully it works. Its not like he wrote the kernel. It doesnt work right and you can take that to the bank. In my eyes I might be new to this thread but I can tell I have more experience then anyone else on here. Try to knock me cause im new.. To what android or sound. By the way guys no one can hear high res if you want to test that theres videos on youtube that go up in frequency and after 18000 I bet you cant hear anything either. Its just clearer sounding

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #343 of 578

The guy probably spent an hour or longer flashing firmware and wasting his time for nothing thats not cool. Its not going to stop until someone says no its the kernel. Dont flash the kernel. The one at 1400mhz is the only one that works. Im a honest person no I know thats not nice and I dont make many friends. Its just my way. I didnt want to say it I was like dude just shut up for once but then I keep seeing that and cant.

Dec 17, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #344 of 578
Honestly the problem with that kernel is because hes adding to much. If he just added the higher 1800 clock speed and left it completely stock it should work no problem. With that said you will not get 10 hour battery life. Theres one or the other unless you get a big little cpu chip. Because then you can run small cores for low power and big cores for higher power when you need it. If he tries to keep it 100 percent stock and just add the 1 higher clock speed without adding the 2ghz thats better over clocking then the pros on Xda can do usually 400ghz on 3ghz cpus is the max. Its not a pc with a wall power so it fails. In order to get that you would have to increase the voltage to. My nexus 6 can increase the voltage and I dont over clock it almost 50 percent thats about what 2ghz would be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back