Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
Nov 27, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #301 of 575
Thank you, for you response. But you don't understand me. Sorry for my English.

Facts about my FIIO:
1. Recovery mode fully working when I turn on FIIO holding previous track button and power button;
2. Blue power LED working;
3. When I connect microUSB to computer, windows do nothing. Device manager doesn't find any new devices. I tried five another USB cables but nothing.

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #302 of 575
No, the scripts do recognise the fat32 format, but they tend to be quite intensive when optimising. Given that fat32 is significantly poorer in performance than exfat, there is a notable difference between the two file formats when there are significant numbers of files on the cards.
Just a quick reply to say that your exFat suggestion has sorted my external_SD1 issue - many thanks :smile_phones:

Nov 27, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #303 of 575
Thank you, for you response. But you don't understand me. Sorry for my English.

Facts about my FIIO:
1. Recovery mode fully working when I turn on FIIO holding previous track button and power button;
2. Blue power LED working;
3. When I connect microUSB to computer, windows do nothing. Device manager doesn't find any new devices. I tried five another USB cables but nothing.

Recovery mode ≠ Bootloader mode.

Recovery Mode or TWRP (if you have that installed) is entered by Play/Pause + Previous Track + Power being held down all at the same time. Release power only when ‘FiiO Welcome’ screen is shown. Keep other two held down until blue TWRP splash screen is shown. In this mode your storage is only seen by your computer when selecting ‘mount’ tile and checking boxes for your internal and external drives.

Bootloader mode is entered when connecting to PC with player powered down & previous track button is held down. You do this for using the Firmware Upgrade Tool or flashing of TWRP custom recovery with rkflashtool. Windows Device manager will see nothing, as it should not.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #304 of 575
Recovery mode ≠ Bootloader mode.

Recovery Mode or TWRP (if you have that installed) is entered by Play/Pause + Previous Track + Power being held down all at the same time. Release power only when ‘FiiO Welcome’ screen is shown. Keep other two held down until blue TWRP splash screen is shown. In this mode your storage is only seen by your computer when selecting ‘mount’ tile and checking boxes for your internal and external drives.

Bootloader mode is entered when connecting to PC with player powered down & previous track button is held down. You do this for using the Firmware Upgrade Tool or flashing of TWRP custom recovery with rkflashtool. Windows Device manager will see nothing, as it should not.

Can you help for me via email or etc?

Nov 27, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #305 of 575
Nov 28, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #306 of 575
Hi,

i had a problem with Tidal and Kernel 3.4.1.
Tidal in Hifi was no problem. But when trying to play a song in Master-Quality the sound was stuttering.

So I contacted @jkbuha per email an he told me to install Kernel Version 3.3.2.

So I did, and Tidal worked again. Thanks for your great help @jkbuha !!!!

Greetings,
Daniel

Nov 29, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #307 of 575
What version of TWRP is the latest available? Im new to the fiio x5iii I just ordered one and waiting for mail. I wanted a high res player that could have viper4android. I have looked on xda and found the kernel and TWRP installer zip. I just would like some details. I am curious to know if anyone has gotten viper4android running on any firmware with either magisk or supersu for root? My goal is to have twrp, custom kernel, and viper4android 2.3.4 working for bluetooth. I haven't ever heard a high res player but Ive been using viper4andoid for years. Any information would be appreciated ive been reading online for about 10 hours today going through the zips and forums looking for details. Does the fiio x5iii bluetooth sound good on its own? I know its meant for wired headphones but I had to order a pair I only have powerbeats pro and the sennheiser momentum wireless buds.

Nov 30, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #308 of 575
What version of TWRP is the latest available? Im new to the fiio x5iii I just ordered one and waiting for mail. I wanted a high res player that could have viper4android. I have looked on xda and found the kernel and TWRP installer zip. I just would like some details. I am curious to know if anyone has gotten viper4android running on any firmware with either magisk or supersu for root? My goal is to have twrp, custom kernel, and viper4android 2.3.4 working for bluetooth. I haven't ever heard a high res player but Ive been using viper4andoid for years. Any information would be appreciated ive been reading online for about 10 hours today going through the zips and forums looking for details. Does the fiio x5iii bluetooth sound good on its own? I know its meant for wired headphones but I had to order a pair I only have powerbeats pro and the sennheiser momentum wireless buds.

Ok - so a lot of (important) questions to unpick here.

1) The only version of TWRP for the FiiO is 2.8.5.0. I haven't had time to create a new one, frankly because there isn't a real need for it. TWRP 3.x will improve things for the custom ROM but won't be good for backward compatibility. Eg: If I had to implement F2FS support for the FiiO, going back to an older custom or vanilla kernel would make the partitions unreadable.

2) When I originally bought this player, I had also asked for viper4android systemwide support (ie via magisk/SuperSU) - but it's not possible without some significant modifications to the system audio configuration; which is arguably not worth the while. Additionally - and perhaps more pertinently - V4A internally uses only lower-bit transformations, which significantly distorts the audio envelope. If you're just using 128kbit MP3s that's fine; but FiiO have actually done quite a good job in preserving the audio fidelity across the hardware and software stack; so arguably it's a shame to downmix it through V4A. I'd suggest you play around with Neutron as you can get very similar effects with some of the filters. If it's just FiiO Music Player you want then use an older version of FiiO Music which still supports (paid) V4A plugins.

3) Bluetooth support on the X5iii is through apt (not apt-HD) codec; which means you're limited to 48kHz. It's not bad (my Sennheiser and Sony sound great on wireless) but you won't get 192/384kHz as you do with wired.

Nov 30, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #309 of 575
Ok - so a lot of (important) questions to unpick here.

1) The only version of TWRP for the FiiO is 2.8.5.0. I haven't had time to create a new one, frankly because there isn't a real need for it. TWRP 3.x will improve things for the custom ROM but won't be good for backward compatibility. Eg: If I had to implement F2FS support for the FiiO, going back to an older custom or vanilla kernel would make the partitions unreadable.

2) When I originally bought this player, I had also asked for viper4android systemwide support (ie via magisk/SuperSU) - but it's not possible without some significant modifications to the system audio configuration; which is arguably not worth the while. Additionally - and perhaps more pertinently - V4A internally uses only lower-bit transformations, which significantly distorts the audio envelope. If you're just using 128kbit MP3s that's fine; but FiiO have actually done quite a good job in preserving the audio fidelity across the hardware and software stack; so arguably it's a shame to downmix it through V4A. I'd suggest you play around with Neutron as you can get very similar effects with some of the filters. If it's just FiiO Music Player you want then use an older version of FiiO Music which still supports (paid) V4A plugins.

3) Bluetooth support on the X5iii is through apt (not apt-HD) codec; which means you're limited to 48kHz. It's not bad (my Sennheiser and Sony sound great on wireless) but you won't get 192/384kHz as you do with wired.

Thank you for responding I appreciate it also thanks for making a TWRP and custom kernel for it. I cant wait to hear this player half of me says itll be great and the other half thinks maybe not. I like quality music but I also say volume level is a huge thing to. I dont mind 48khz its not like I have a really good pair of headphones yet. I order the sennheiser ie60 yesterday to try they were 250 then 130 and yesterday on black friday 100 dollars so I went with those over the ie40 pros even though those look better but sounds the main point. Im wanting to get a pair of Fiio FH5s I cant really go over that price range. I would gladly listen to suggestions I prefer in ear.

Would you say then I would be smart to update firmware I was going to just leave it as is and flash TWRP and your kernel? What setup do you guys like the best gives your sound and performance? I downloaded the purist rom fidelizer 1.2.5 can you mix match or do I need to be on 1.2.5 firmware? I know I gotta lot of questions. Im just not wanting to brick the only high res player Ive ever had. I got tons of android experience I cant own an android I cant root. Im going to try magisk ive never heard you need twrp 3.0 before but maybe.

Nov 30, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #310 of 575
Let me add if Maigsk needs twrp 3 and up that might be worth your time because they have the viper 2.7 or 4.4 package for magisk with the audio modification module to get viper4android to work proper. Ive never had an issue with that setup before even though samsung devices can give you trouble with viper if the kernel is enforcing. Permissive kernels are much better even with xposed. With that said thanks again for the kernel.

Nov 30, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #311 of 575
Sound from the AK4490 (the X5iii DACs) is pretty decent actually but as with all DAPs you do need a good set of cans. I’ll leave it to more seasoned audiophiles on this thread and the original X5iii thread to comment on which is the best headgear, but I’m quite happy with my 1More/feaRLess wired combo and sennheiser/Sony wireless.

Fidelizer 1.2.5 works well with this kernel. You won’t brick the player no matter how hard (and believe me I have) tried. Magisk works as well but you need an earlier version, you’ll find more details on the 4PDA forum assuming your russian (or Google Translate) is up to par.

Nov 30, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #312 of 575
Let me add if Maigsk needs twrp 3 and up that might be worth your time because they have the viper 2.7 or 4.4 package for magisk with the audio modification module to get viper4android to work proper. Ive never had an issue with that setup before even though samsung devices can give you trouble with viper if the kernel is enforcing. Permissive kernels are much better even with xposed. With that said thanks again for the kernel.

I haven’t tried this actually. Might be worth experimenting with Magisk and V4A to see if you can get this to work.

Nov 30, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #313 of 575
I haven’t tried this actually. Might be worth experimenting with Magisk and V4A to see if you can get this to work.

I figured maybe it was worth mentioning. When I get my device im definitely going to try it. Magisk does work with lollipop but I dont think below 5.0 he was supposed to update it to work with kitkat but I dont have any kitkat devices or lollipop actually. I love android and I love modding it even more. I tried development I made couple of custom roms and my ubuntu went nuts and I cant get the resolution to fit screen anymore even my grub menu on startup is all out of the screen. I got a tlc tv and it doesnt work good with the hdmi and windows either sound doesn't feed through. However I was not very good making stuff I tried to do twrp but I never finished so my hats off to you guys its really hard stuff.

Nov 30, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #314 of 575
Sound from the AK4490 (the X5iii DACs) is pretty decent actually but as with all DAPs you do need a good set of cans. I’ll leave it to more seasoned audiophiles on this thread and the original X5iii thread to comment on which is the best headgear, but I’m quite happy with my 1More/feaRLess wired combo and sennheiser/Sony wireless.

Fidelizer 1.2.5 works well with this kernel. You won’t brick the player no matter how hard (and believe me I have) tried. Magisk works as well but you need an earlier version, you’ll find more details on the 4PDA forum assuming your russian (or Google Translate) is up to par.

I have heard alot of good things on the 1more headphones that and the Tin headphones seem to be the budget friendly but still good sound options. I thought wired headphones were on the wayout but everyone thinks wireless still got some improvements to do first. Ive only had 20 dollar walmart headphones up until now so I hoping for good things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back