Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
Nov 5, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #286 of 578
Sounds a lot (exactly the same perhaps) as my external_sd1 issue with 3.4.1 (further up the page). I even went as far as popping the card into sd1 after it had booted and settled down, and got the same freeze-up (it was fine trying this unorthadox approach in sd2, with files being happily read). Cannot be blamed on the card itself as I'm back on the stock setup with the same two cards and it's playing fine (and it shuffles across the two cards without hiccups too).

I have 2x 400GB cards fully loaded in both slots, and haven't experienced this before, nor indeed anyone on the 4pda forums (and trust me, they're a dedicated community). However, I do a lot of external card cleaning, so maybe there are some errors on your card. Also note that the kernel treats SD1 differently to SD2 (both custom and vanilla, the latter just doesn't use specific schedulers/scripting for it) so it may be something related to the new schedulers or script optimisation.

Do this:
1) Shutdown and eject both cards. Insert them into a laptop and disk check them. Fix any errors. Incidentally - what filesystem do they use?
2) If symptoms still persist, then (and only then) try changing the SD1/SD2 scheduler algorithm, let's see if this is the issue. You'll need to have root and a kernel manager program like Adiutor or SmartPack or EX. Change the external scheduler to row/deadline/noop and see if the situation improves.
3) If symptoms still persist nonetheless, then (and only then) should you try to disable the init.d scripts. You'll need to reboot into TWRP, mount system and rename/delete the init.d folder or the 30FSTweak/40EXT4Tweak or the renice scripts. Reboot and see if the situation improves.

It's highly likely that one of the 3 steps above will solve the issue.

Nov 5, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #287 of 578
I have 2x 400GB cards fully loaded in both slots, and haven't experienced this before, nor indeed anyone on the 4pda forums (and trust me, they're a dedicated community). However, I do a lot of external card cleaning, so maybe there are some errors on your card. Also note that the kernel treats SD1 differently to SD2 (both custom and vanilla, the latter just doesn't use specific schedulers/scripting for it) so it may be something related to the new schedulers or script optimisation.

Do this:
1) Shutdown and eject both cards. Insert them into a laptop and disk check them. Fix any errors. Incidentally - what filesystem do they use?
2) If symptoms still persist, then (and only then) try changing the SD1/SD2 scheduler algorithm, let's see if this is the issue. You'll need to have root and a kernel manager program like Adiutor or SmartPack or EX. Change the external scheduler to row/deadline/noop and see if the situation improves.
3) If symptoms still persist nonetheless, then (and only then) should you try to disable the init.d scripts. You'll need to reboot into TWRP, mount system and rename/delete the init.d folder or the 30FSTweak/40EXT4Tweak or the renice scripts. Reboot and see if the situation improves.

It's highly likely that one of the 3 steps above will solve the issue.
Tried number 1 but there's no way I'm spending anymore time on steps 2 or 3 when earlier versions (3.3.2, 3.31 and 3.1) never displayed this problem - sorry, I just don't have that sort of time. Both cards were Fat32 and were formatted by the SD Association SD card formatter. And just to re-iterate that I'm currently back on stock without a problem which seems like the best solution to my right now (as I'm listening to music).

Nov 5, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #288 of 578
Fair enough, you've found a solution that works for you. I equally don't have time to troubleshoot as much these days, so as long you're back to listening to music that's what's most important.

Would still suggest nonetheless you use the v3.3x custom kernel as the used voltage is lower, and there's more available memory and cache, so the wear on battery and sd card will be lower.

Nov 18, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #289 of 578
Just a quick note to anyone using v3.4x and fat32-formatted sd cards. Given the way the new indexing scripts work on these cards, it's strongly advised to reformat to exFAT and take advantage of the additional speed boost. The difference in performance is very noticeable (and will resolve issues such as @trgz experienced above).

Nov 18, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #290 of 578
Just a quick note to anyone using v3.4x and fat32-formatted sd cards. Given the way the new indexing scripts work on these cards, it's strongly advised to reformat to exFAT and take advantage of the additional speed boost. The difference in performance is very noticeable (and will resolve issues such as @trgz experienced above).
I've been formatted with NTFS for most of the time I've had the X5 without issue. AFAIK it isn't supposed to work with Android, but it does. I wonder if going to exFat would do anything but cause me grief.

Nov 18, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #291 of 578
NTFS works fine. A tad slower than exFAT but works well on the FiiO. Not worth the hassle.

Nov 18, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #292 of 578
Interesting - I'll look into that (though as it takes a fair while to re-copy 12,000 songs across to the smaller of the two cards I'll wait a while before I try it). Though thinking about it, are you suggesting that the FAT32 format might not be recognized in general in external_sd1 by the new kernel/scripts?

Nov 18, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #293 of 578
And calling out the point that was made previously (when I was running a 3.3.x build)
Use a 5V charger or power bank to charge and play. 9V charger will bake your player - added value of 9-12V quick chargers. Smartphones probably have a better devised heat dissipation from the interior of the device through the surface - maybe also control the interior temperature.

from the Fiio site @ https://www.fiio.com/x5iii
"2 Modes of Charging to Quickly Get Back Up and Running
The X5 3rd gen contains a 3.8V 3400mAh battery that provides more than 10 hours of playing time. But when you do run out of battery, the new X5 has new rapid charging technology with temperature detection (with an on-screen indicator) that not only supports the typical BC 1.2 USB charging specification but also supports 9V/12V high-voltage rapid charging. When charged at the maximum current rate of 1.2C, the X5's battery can be filled in a mere 1.5 hours."
I wonder if this alleged temperature detection is still present?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #294 of 578
No, the scripts do recognise the fat32 format, but they tend to be quite intensive when optimising. Given that fat32 is significantly poorer in performance than exfat, there is a notable difference between the two file formats when there are significant numbers of files on the cards.

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #296 of 578
No, the scripts do recognise the fat32 format, but they tend to be quite intensive when optimising. Given that fat32 is significantly poorer in performance than exfat, there is a notable difference between the two file formats when there are significant numbers of files on the cards.
Thanks for the explanation. And having seen the reply from @Bray90820, I think I may have to create a bit of time and give it another go.

Nov 26, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #299 of 578
FiiO bootloader mode can only be accessed by rkflashtool or FiiO's own Windows flashing tool.

Refer to @WitzyZed 's excellent guide for next steps

Nov 26, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #300 of 578
Also when I press reboot to bootloader, screen goes to black and nothing to do
connect your player to pc via microUSB, while holding down the previous track button (middle of the three buttons on left side of player). your pc should make a connection chime. player should otherwise look like it’s completely dead; no power light, nothing on screen. this is normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back