Fiio X5iii Custom Kernel and Scripts | 2016MHz CPU | 20% RAM increase | Undervolting | New DAC drivers | and much more
Oct 28, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #271 of 576
Thank you very much for the great work. I have been using it since version 3.2.
I have now installed the kernel v3.41 2016MHz CPU and it works perfectly, Much better than version 3.2 that hung up from time to time.
For the first time I have chosen to deactivate FiiO Music Player from the aroma installer (until now I had not dared, but I do not use FiiO Player at all I use UAPP) and I can say that the device is going much better without the FiiO Player (disappears completely the pure music mode of the configurator and releases valuable resources).

Greetings from Madrid (Spain)

----------
Muchas gracias por el estupendo trabajo. Llevo usando desde la versión 3.2.
He instalado ahora el kernel v3.41 2016MHz CPU y funciona perfectamente. Mucho mejor que la versión 3.2 que se me colgaba de vez en cuando.
Por primera vez he optado por desactivar FiiO Music Player desde el instalador aroma (hasta ahora no me había atrevido, pero no uso FiiO Player para nada yo uso UAPP) y puedo decir que el dispositivo va mucho mejor sin el FiiO Player (desaparece completamente el modo pura música del configurador y libera valiosos recursos).

Saludos desde Madrid (España)

Oct 28, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #272 of 576
Thanks for assistance.
I've got bootloop even when iI get back to kernel 3.3.2
Finaly :
I move to option 4 with windows android tool v2.1
Reset the X5 in the FiiO recovery mode
I move to option 2 and 3 with windows android tool v2.1
re-install kernel 3.4.1 at 1.7Mhz clock (2Mhz not boot with my device)

Actually everything seems running well
And much more faster as previous 3.3 !
Thanks for the great job again

Oct 29, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #274 of 576
After a second overheating scare I thought I'd give this development a wide berth until a significant change so I was keen to try the latest great bit of work, however I seem to have hit a snag. My first wipe to the stock 1.2.1 and subsequent updates left me with a device that didn't like using the external1 SD card slot no matter what config I used (nb I tried a couple of variations of customization in the Aroma installer) so I decided to work through the 'howto' by WitzyZed and write down everything that I did just in case it didn't work again (you can guess the outcome :wink: ).
So here are my notes:

Starting afresh with clean install of 1.2.1 (with a 400GB card inserted in external_SD2) and dropping the X5-ota-1.2.5.zip onto the internal storage I rebooted and followed those great instructions of WitzyZed (sticking with the Stock only):
Ejected player from Windows
Installed the X5-ota-1.2.5.zip via the technical support application (reboot with green 'droid).
Then performed a factory data reset (in the Settings App) w/ internal storage wipe ( reboot with green 'droid)
Installed latest usb drivers in Windows (again)
Ran 'DriverInstall.exe' (v4.4 found)

Powered off player, put it in bootloader mode
Ran AndroidTool.exe
checkbox #2 'boot.img' & #3 'Image\recovery_twrp.img' were checked
Pressed 'Run' and waited until the loader operation completed.

Did 'Advanced Function' and clicked "Reset Device".
Powered up player, allowed it to boot up/initialize, etc.
Downloaded the FiiO-X5iii-jkbuha-V3.41-TWRP-MULTI.zip.
Downloaded SuperSU_PRO_v2.79SR4.zip.
Mounted player in Windows and dragged two zips into internal storage

Ejected drives from Windows, turned off USB, powered down and disconnected

Booted into TWRP
did this:
Press 'Install'
-navigate to sdcard/Downloads
-select the SuperSU zip
-swipe to install
-then hit 'wipe dalvik/cache' and swiped
Go back home in TWRP
-Go to advanced 'Fix Permissions' (Swiping to fix)
then 'Reboot System' (do not check any SE Linux options here)
(no errors seen at any point)

Player rebooted and initialized, etc.

FYI:
"Kernel v 3.0.1.1+""
"jkbuha@virtualbox #3"
"Sat Jan 19 12:49:18 GMT 2019"
"Build 1.2.5"

Enabled bottom of screen navigation buttons, dimmed brightness, 30 min display time-out, corrected timezone and set no screen lock
Rebooted
Shut down

Booted into TWRP
Pressed 'Install'
-navigated to sdcard/Downloads
-Select the jkbuha 3.41 multi zip
-swiped to install

AROMA installer settings:
Selected 1416
Soft disable of applications (screensavers and system garbage)
Kept EQ
Didn't repalce libaudioflinger.so
Boot Animation Kept
Kept Current Player
Disabled Interface Boost
No Auto Launched app
Rebooted

It did all the optimization of apps and got to the 'desktop' with mountain wallpaper but only had three button navigation showing with volume/battery and clock
Screen unresponsive and nothing happened for over 21 mins so I forced a reboot (Power button held for 10+ seconds)

Rebooted with: "Kernel 3.4 all optimizations done" - no mention of another reboot required after 20 mins

FYI
"3.0.101+""
"jkbuha@prispewnic #34"
"Fri Oct 25 13:18:42 BST 2019"
"Build 1.2.5"

Scanned for media on 400GB card in external_SD2 - (cancelled after 1200 songs to test player) - all fine

shut down and inserted amy 200GB into external_sd1

Booted up

"Preparing storage - Checking for errors"

locked up

Forced reboot with no card in external_SD1
then waitied for "Kernel 3.4 all optimizations done" (with success)

Inserted 200GB into external_sd1 whilst powered up
I ran the system stopwatch app to watch for freeze - this fooled me as the timer continues to run though pressing the pause button after 6 minutes showed that the UI had frozen
Note: the 200GB has always worked without any problems previously (and is only a couple of months older than the larger 400GB card that's the same make- SanDisk Ultra) shows to be fine, and without errors, in Windows

Jacked out both cards and rebooted with just the 200 GB in external_sd2 - no 'checking for Storage' notification. Reset Fiio Music app database and scanned for music with success so it appears that that the 200GB card is fine and can be read by this kernel.
Popped the 400GB into external_sd1 whilst powered up and it inititally seemed ok - no 'checking for Storage' notification but whilst trying to view card with ES file explorer the UI froze

Forced reboot with both cards in - fine but froze after 20 seconds or so - doing the same with just a card in external_sd1 gives the same issue so it looks like the use of a card in external_sd1 with this setup is a problem (if only for me)

Jacked out both cards, forced reboot into UI.
Rebooted and did a fresh install of 1.2.1
Shut down
Inserted cards in original configuration (200GB in external_sd1 and 400GB in external_sd2)
Powered up
"Preparing Storage" notification
Both cards visible in ES File Explorer and no locking up...
So, in the old school FiiO music App I set it off scanning music - also setup the wifi whilst waiting; browsed the web; ignored the OTA update etc - no issues encountered so hardware must be fine. Upgrading to the stock 1.2.5...

All is fine in the stock 1.2.5 too - both cards in and are currently being scanned by the new FiiO music player. Logging into Google Play store - not one hitch with the UI.

So there you have it, I rather think that there may be an issue with the combination of this 3.4.1 kernel and my player. I hope the above is of some help

Oct 29, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #275 of 576
After a second overheating scare I thought I'd give this development a wide berth until a significant change so I was keen to try the latest great bit of work, however I seem to have hit a snag. My first wipe to the stock 1.2.1 and subsequent updates left me with a device that didn't like using the external1 SD card slot no matter what config I used (nb I tried a couple of variations of customization in the Aroma installer) so I decided to work through the 'howto' by WitzyZed and write down everything that I did just in case it didn't work again (you can guess the outcome :wink: ).
So here are my notes:

Starting afresh with clean install of 1.2.1 (with a 400GB card inserted in external_SD2) and dropping the X5-ota-1.2.5.zip onto the internal storage I rebooted and followed those great instructions of WitzyZed (sticking with the Stock only):
Ejected player from Windows
Installed the X5-ota-1.2.5.zip via the technical support application (reboot with green 'droid).
Then performed a factory data reset (in the Settings App) w/ internal storage wipe ( reboot with green 'droid)
Installed latest usb drivers in Windows (again)
Ran 'DriverInstall.exe' (v4.4 found)

Powered off player, put it in bootloader mode
Ran AndroidTool.exe
checkbox #2 'boot.img' & #3 'Image\recovery_twrp.img' were checked
Pressed 'Run' and waited until the loader operation completed.

Did 'Advanced Function' and clicked "Reset Device".
Powered up player, allowed it to boot up/initialize, etc.
Downloaded the FiiO-X5iii-jkbuha-V3.41-TWRP-MULTI.zip.
Downloaded SuperSU_PRO_v2.79SR4.zip.
Mounted player in Windows and dragged two zips into internal storage

Ejected drives from Windows, turned off USB, powered down and disconnected

Booted into TWRP
did this:
Press 'Install'
-navigate to sdcard/Downloads
-select the SuperSU zip
-swipe to install
-then hit 'wipe dalvik/cache' and swiped
Go back home in TWRP
-Go to advanced 'Fix Permissions' (Swiping to fix)
then 'Reboot System' (do not check any SE Linux options here)

Player rebooted and initialized, etc.

FYI:
"Kernel v 3.0.1.1+""
"jkbuha@virtualbox #3"
"Sat Jan 19 12:49:18 GMT 2019"
"Build 1.2.5"

Enabled bottom of screen navigation buttons, dimmed brightness, 30 min display time-out, corrected timezone and set no screen lock
Rebooted
Shut down

Booted into TWRP
Pressed 'Install'
-navigated to sdcard/Downloads
-Select the jkbuha 3.41 multi zip
-swiped to install

AROMA installer settings:
Selected 1416
Soft disable of applications (screensavers and system garbage)
Kept EQ
Didn't repalce libaudioflinger.so
Boot Animation Kept
Kept Current Player
Disabled Interface Boost
No Auto Launched app
Rebooted

It did all the optimization of apps and got to the 'desktop' with mountain wallpaper but only had three button navigation showing with volume/battery and clock
Screen unresponsive and nothing happened for over 21 mins so I forced a reboot (Power button held for 10+ seconds)

Rebooted with: "Kernel 3.4 all optimizations done" - no mention of another reboot required after 20 mins

FYI
"3.0.101+""
"jkbuha@prispewnic #34"
"Fri Oct 25 13:18:42 BST 2019"
"Build 1.2.5"

Scanned for media on 400GB card in external_SD2 - (cancelled after 1200 songs to test player) - all fine

shut down and inserted amy 200GB into external_sd1

Booted up

"Preparing storage - Checking for errors"

locked up

Forced reboot with no card in external_SD1
then waitied for "Kernel 3.4 all optimizations done" (with success)

Inserted 200GB into external_sd1 whilst powered up
I ran the system stopwatch app to watch for freeze - this fooled me as the timer continues to run though pressing the pause button after 6 minutes showed that the UI had frozen
Note: the 200GB has always worked without any problems previously (and is only a couple of months older than the larger 400GB card that's the same make- SanDisk Ultra) shows to be fine, and without errors, in Windows

Jacked out both cards and rebooted with just the 200 GB in external_sd2 - no 'checking for Storage' notification. Reset Fiio Music app database and scanned for music with success so it appears that that the 200GB card is fine and can be read by this kernel.
Popped the 400GB into external_sd1 whilst powered up and it inititally seemed ok - no 'checking for Storage' notification but whilst trying to view card with ES file explorer the UI froze

Forced reboot with both cards in - fine but froze after 20 seconds or so - doing the same with just a card in external_sd1 gives the same issue so it looks like the use of a card in external_sd1 with this setup is a problem (if only for me)

Jacked out both cards, forced reboot into UI.
Rebooted and did a fresh install of 1.2.1
Shut down
Inserted cards in original configuration (200GB in external_sd1 and 400GB in external_sd2)
Powered up
"Preparing Storage" notification
Both cards visible in ES File Explorer and no locking up...
So, in the old school FiiO music App I set it off scanning music - also setup the wifi whilst waiting; browsed the web; ignored the OTA update etc - no issues encountered so hardware must be fine. Upgrading to the stock 1.2.5...

All is fine in the stock 1.2.5 too - both cards in and are currently being scanned by the new FiiO music player. Logging into Google Play store - not one hitch with the UI.

So there you have it, I rather think that there may be an issue with the combination of this 3.4.1 kernel and my player. I hope the above is of some help

Had you followed those exact steps with 3.32 without any such issues?

Using SmartPack Kernel Manager (https://github.com/SmartPack/SmartPack-Kernel-Manager/releases/tag/v8.9 or http://www.mediafire.com/file/o1jm2....kernelmanager-v8.8-20190920-release.apk/file), under the init.d section I just edited the sleep timer in the 60main script to ‘sleep 35’ & the ‘preparing storage: checking for errors’ disappears at the same time I get ‘Kernel 3.4: Optimizations Done’. (changes to this script are applied upon reboot). This is with a mostly full 400gb card in Tray 1 & mostly full 256 gb card in Tray 2. From that point on the player is working fine. I keep it in android mode. If player boots in Pure Music Mode, FiiO music will not start immediately (you see a black screen and status bar) but then does once optimizations prompt appears.

Have you tried removing backups the Aroma Installer created in system/app/x-backup directory ? In ‘restore’ section of installer there is the last option to delete those backups, or you can mount the system partition in TWRP and directly delete the X-Backup folder.

Next advice is opening the SuperSU app on your device before you flash the kernel and turn off all logging. ‘Logging Access’ set to ‘None’, ‘Clear Logs’ set to ‘1 Day’ & hit ‘Clear All Logs Now’.

I’m not sure what specifically is going on as it relates to swapping SD cards back and forth and one variation causing lockups, & the other not. Instead of ES File Explorer (which I recommend uninstalling, and removing its .apk from system/preinstall) try using Root Explorer (https://www.mediafire.com/download/saadnc3idonofik)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #276 of 576
Had you followed those exact steps with 3.32 without any such issues?
I didn't have this trouble with 3.32 (just the scary overheating - I think I posted up about the first overheating issue I had with one version IIRC but I never reported the second) and my player is working fine at the moment with the stock 1.2.5 install so I can only conclude that it's an issue wth the new kernel.

Using SmartPack Kernel Manager (https://github.com/SmartPack/SmartPack-Kernel-Manager/releases/tag/v8.9 or http://www.mediafire.com/file/o1jm2....kernelmanager-v8.8-20190920-release.apk/file), under the init.d section I just edited the sleep timer in the 60main script to ‘sleep 35’ & the ‘preparing storage: checking for errors’ disappears at the same time I get ‘Kernel 3.4: Optimizations Done’. (changes to this script are applied upon reboot). This is with a mostly full 400gb card in Tray 1 & mostly full 256 gb card in Tray 2. From that point on the player is working fine. I keep it in android mode. If player boots in Pure Music Mode, FiiO music will not start immediately (you see a black screen and status bar) but then does once optimizations prompt appears.
Sadly I've not even had the opportunity to try 'Pure' mode - I've been focusssed on purely getting it to work with two cards inserted

Have you tried removing backups the Aroma Installer created in system/app/x-backup directory ? In ‘restore’ section of installer there is the last option to delete those backups, or you can mount the system partition in TWRP and directly delete the X-Backup folder.

Next advice is opening the SuperSU app on your device before you flash the kernel and turn off all logging. ‘Logging Access’ set to ‘None’, ‘Clear Logs’ set to ‘1 Day’ & hit ‘Clear All Logs Now’.
As regards any extra tweaking (ie Aroma backups and SuperSu logging and also the previously mentioned SmartPack thingyamybob), I haven't done anything other than what the instructions have pretty clearly suggested what was only necessary - if these extra steps are required then surely they ought to be included in the instructions (I hope I'm not sounding too confrontational here!).

I’m not sure what specifically is going on as it relates to swapping SD cards back and forth and one variation causing lockups, & the other not. Instead of ES File Explorer (which I recommend uninstalling, and removing its .apk from system/preinstall) try using Root Explorer (https://www.mediafire.com/download/saadnc3idonofik)
I think my issue is not related to the size of the card, merely the attempt to use external_sd1; the use of ES Explorer is incidental as the freezing is happening in the UI itself (BTW this last 'documented' attempt was my third or fourth unsuccessful try to get 3.4.1 to work).

I don't wish to sound negative (though I guess I do - sorry) but this simply isn't anywhere as stable/reliable as the stock setup - I really would love to share in the joy that others have apparenlty had but no kernel I've tried so far has been without it's problems. I think I shall wait until 4.0.0

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #277 of 576
I’m happy to update instructions but I won’t know if they’re useful fixes to include unless I get users with problematic players to try them. Up until now it’s gotten windows users & some determined Mac users up to speed with the custom kernel.

You will find mention of the smart pack kernel manager and the backup removal in the guide, that’s them being “included”.

B2DC1592-DACB-4764-BFAC-E060DA020968.png

You’re welcome to try ^these^ instructions instead. Use google translate for context: https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=825351&view=findpost&p=73841818

The only thing I might be leaving out is that highlighted step involving the removal of power from player after using the AROMA installer. This might prevent a bug I just haven’t come across. There’s a lot of embellishment in the instructions I wrote, but can’t word it better than the developers.

Stock 1.2.4 (equivalent to 1.2.5 just with different bundled FiiO music version) performs worse productively in benchmarks than even 1.2.1. You may find it more stable because it is less demanding.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #278 of 576
Two questions -

1. Does the Kernel in Android control the time needed to press the power button to start the player? If so can it be adjusted?

2. Curiosity ?, What about the players and builds cause some people to have issues with the Kernel and others smooth sailing? Mine installs and runs like a dream and I feel bad for those that seem to have problems.

Oct 30, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #279 of 576
Both very good questions.

1. Yes and yes. I just need to find the code that works for this player. Am investigating the double tap to wake feature (dt2w) at the moment as well, which is closely related.

2. Difficult one this. Most issues unfortunately are down to user experience and learning curves. When this kernel was launched over a year ago most of the time was spent educating users how to get TWRP installed, even before any custom kernel issues. Now the custom kernel in its different variations supports well over 95% of all x5 players. But it's not exhaustive, so now and then we might get compatibility issues. I also suspect there may be a couple new hardware versions out there with the latest player releases. That said, I don't think this particular one is down to incompatiblilty, but I don't have time to troubleshoot as much as I used to previously.

As a general rule, if a previous version worked well, stay on that and PM me as many logfiles as possible from the troubled version and then I'll get round to looking at it at some point when I have (ever decreasing) downtime...

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #280 of 576
I’m happy to update instructions but I won’t know if they’re useful fixes to include unless I get users with problematic players to try them. Up until now it’s gotten windows users & some determined Mac users up to speed with the custom kernel.

You will find mention of the smart pack kernel manager and the backup removal in the guide, that’s them being “included”.

You’re welcome to try ^these^ instructions instead. Use google translate for context: https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=825351&view=findpost&p=73841818
https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=825351&view=findpost&p=73841818
The only thing I might be leaving out is that highlighted step involving the removal of power from player after using the AROMA installer. This might prevent a bug I just haven’t come across. There’s a lot of embellishment in the instructions I wrote, but can’t word it better than the developers.

Stock 1.2.4 (equivalent to 1.2.5 just with different bundled FiiO music version) performs worse productively in benchmarks than even 1.2.1. You may find it more stable because it is less demanding.
Thanks - I might give it a go again.

Nov 4, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #282 of 576
I am having an issue with 3.4 and 3.4.1. No matter what i do if i have a card in SD1 when I boot the player it freezes. If I wait and put it in after the kernel optimizations are done it works fine. It also doesn't seem to happen if the SD card doesn't have a lot of music on it

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #283 of 576
I am having an issue with 3.4 and 3.4.1. No matter what i do if i have a card in SD1 when I boot the player it freezes. If I wait and put it in after the kernel optimizations are done it works fine. It also doesn't seem to happen if the SD card doesn't have a lot of music on it
Have you tried a different card? Reformat ?

Now wait for the experts to weigh in.

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #285 of 576
Sounds a lot (exactly the same perhaps) as my external_sd1 issue with 3.4.1 (further up the page). I even went as far as popping the card into sd1 after it had booted and settled down, and got the same freeze-up (it was fine trying this unorthadox approach in sd2, with files being happily read). Cannot be blamed on the card itself as I'm back on the stock setup with the same two cards and it's playing fine (and it shuffles across the two cards without hiccups too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back