Fiio X5 - Custom/Modded firmwares
Nov 2, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #468 of 2,614
bigsmile_face.gif
  Hasn't been an issue for me, I figured it out and it works fine.  Though you seem to be on a roll at this point.  Nice job on the splash screens.  

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #469 of 2,614
Glad it's more to your liking olddude. I half-arsed the mod by using MS Paint on my Winblows laptop from work. Damn thing throws "Not Responding" messages at me all the time - so frustrating! I really should've switched over to my 2008 MacBook Pro and used a real graphics editor, so I could really align the text elements symmetrically without feeling like I need to go "Office Space" on my Lenovo, lol. Its a PITA that there isn't a native Mac app / script to pack / unpack the Fiio firmware!

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #472 of 2,614
Yeah, I don't own Photoshop, though. I use MS Paint on Windows or Pixelmator on my Mac for backgrounds, since I prefer plain / flat backgrounds. Very easy to do with a plain colored rectangle - no Photoshop required! Same strategy I used with my X3 mods back in the day.

Pixelmator does a fine job with text, and one of these days I'm going to use that to mod the list files you created to use the font I'm using as the system default. Shouldn't take too long. I tried it quickly in Paint, but it didn't retain transparency.

Nov 3, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #474 of 2,614
Alrighty chaps, here are the newest revisions of my black mod.  There are two versions in the linked zip file using two different system fonts.  I prefer the version with the Ubuntu font.  When I get more time, I think I'm going to redo the list-based Launcher with the Ubuntu font for consistency.  The other font (APHont) was specifically designed to enhance legibility, but I find the Ubuntu font more legible, so ymmv...

Rename the files to x5.fw before attempting to upgrade.  And again, if you encounter any issues please let me know.

X5 FW2.2 Black Mods

As far as kids go, I'm on set number two. In addition to the 1 & 3yo, I've also got an 18 & 21yo. Nuff said!

Just tried both of your themes and to me I like the APHont as its better on my 63 year old eyes.

Thanks and well done, you have made a great job of theses themes.

Nov 3, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #475 of 2,614
First post updated to add the mods from nmatheis.

I also added the following note for the modders:

A note for the modders: When you are done with your mods, I would suggest putting them in a compressed folder (.zip or the likes). That way you can name the compressed folder anything you want while keeping the x5.fw name intact. This gives you the opportinity to put a readme file with your signature, any copyright thingies you want and a quick install instruction.This will make it easier for you to manage multiple mods and easier for the "consumers" who will have all they need in one package.

It's not necessary in any way, just a suggestion.

thank-you nmatheis for the contribution!

Nov 3, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #476 of 2,614
Unfortunately I only have Macs (plenty of Photoshops on them) so I can't unpack the files and work on them.  Thanks so much to the modern who do.  

Nov 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #477 of 2,614
Recently switched from gimp to paint .net (paint dot net, is the name of the program)

You could try that.

Nov 3, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #479 of 2,614
  Unfortunately I only have Macs (plenty of Photoshops on them) so I can't unpack the files and work on them.  Thanks so much to the modern who do.  

If you ever want to have a go, I could send you a link for the unpacked files and then repack them when you're done. Just let me know

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #480 of 2,614
Further customization on the FW2.2 Black Mods.  Launcher font is now the same as the system font for increased consistency.  Files renamed as per @Nicolas2305's suggestion, so all you have to do is unzip and install. With this, I think I'm done until the next FW upgrade unless you encounter any major issues I didn't catch.  Enjoy!

X5 FW2.2 Black Mod APHont Font (enhanced legibility font)

X5 FW2.2 Black Mod Ubuntu Font

Users who are viewing this thread

Back