FiiO X5 beta firmware 2.06beta-2.07beta download and discussion: all sorts of sorting improvements!
Jul 18, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #91 of 189
Yes, this is by design so your EQ'ing won't overload the output. It does take a little while to get used to. There might be a mention of this in more detail on FiiO's website in their support or FAQ section as I read about it on their website.

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #92 of 189
^ thank you
beerchug.gif

IMO and to my ears, it's more than just volume reduction.  Even a 100% flat custom EQ seems to alter the sound somehow.  I will need to listen to a few more tracks to confirm this.

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #93 of 189
  Another question... I was playing with EQ today and found out that when any EQ preset is selected, including Custom, the volume output is cut by quite a few dB.
I confirmed this on even a flat 0dB custom EQ.

Has anyone else experienced this?  I am on 2.07.

Thx!

Yes. That is so there is sufficient headroom to avoid clipping when you boost frequencies.

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #94 of 189
^ Do we know exactly many dB cut?  I am trying to volume match to compare EQ on vs. EQ off to confirm whether it's just an output cut or the sound is altered in some ways.

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #96 of 189
^ Do we know exactly many dB cut?  I am trying to volume match to compare EQ on vs. EQ off to confirm whether it's just an output cut or the sound is altered in some ways.

If you want the same volume level is EQ off, just peg all the sliders to the top. It's 6dB.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 18, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #97 of 189
Then it should be  - 6dB when EQ bands are at 0. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #98 of 189
Got my x5 yesterday, realized it was not playing 'albums' in correct track order with properly tagged files, found a reference to this thread, and now am a happy 2.07 user!  it gets get sequencing correct-- happy happy.

now I'll have more time to (over)-use more commas and dashes!

Jul 18, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #99 of 189
^  I am loving this DAP too.  It's great for the $.  I really can't complain.  The UI is not the best but not horrible like some people make it out to be.  
biggrin.gif
  Btw, X5 drives Shure 846 beautifully.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #100 of 189

The reduction is 6db.

Top out all the EQ frequencies to the max and switch between Custom and Off. You see there is nothing else going on besides providing headroom and the sound should be identical when you do this. You may want to look at cutting instead of boosting with the EQ. for example if you want more treble you should reduce the bass while keeping the treble region pegged to the top. Vice versa for more bass, just reduce the treble and keep the bass frequencies all the way up.

For me cutting frequencies is more intuitive as each frequency has a perceived effect on the others.

This is my EQ setting for the Vmoda M-100 which I feel has too much bass compared to my Audeze headphones, but overall a good headphone for portable.

Also, I find that to match the volume after choosing the default custom setting I need to increase the volume around 12 clicks to bring back the lost 6db (this is when I listen at around 80db volume).

Edit: I see I'm a bit slow to reply. Thanks to my wife. :wink:

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #101 of 189
^
lol.  Thx for the info on your EQ setting. For the wives, all are forgiven. 
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #102 of 189
  ^
lol.  Thx for the info on your EQ setting. For the wives, all are forgiven. 
tongue.gif

Wives should get the blame, and/ or credit, for everything that goes on in our respective worlds; I would suggest everyone get one.  They don't always comes cheap and don't always work properly first time around.  You'll need to shop around.  I've had two models now and the current one is a keeper.  :)

Jul 19, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #103 of 189
Wives should get the blame, and/ or credit, for everything that goes on in our respective worlds; I would suggest everyone get one.  They don't always comes cheap and don't always work properly first time around.  You'll need to shop around.  I've had two models now and the current one is a keeper.  :)

:D Still on my first model. She's a keeper as well. If only I can be as satisfied with my headphones! :D

Edit: This reminds me, it's our 20th anniversary on Thursday. Time to buy her something nice!

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #104 of 189
Just to reiterate what Relic said...it is better to reduce bands on an eq instead of boosting frequencies.
also, I was out without my x5 and used my iphone for music listening. I hadn't listened to it at all since I've been exclusively on my x5. Damn my iphone sounds bad lol. The more i turned the volume up the more harsh sounding it got. Man the x5 really spoils you.

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #105 of 189

Epic.  
biggrin.gif
  I am still on my first model, pushing 20 years so she's definitely a keeper.  How can she not be?  When she saw me wear the 846 the 1st time, she said "new HPs?  They look cool on you"  
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back