FiiO X5 beta firmware 2.06beta-2.07beta download and discussion: all sorts of sorting improvements!
Jul 8, 2014 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 189

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
After working on users' reports of various problems encountered in the current X5 firmware 2.0 and 2.05beta, new beta firmwares 2.06beta and 2.07beta are now available for download and testing here: :)
2.06beta: http://www.mediafire.com/download/bhm74xu317ow6il/X5_FW2.06Beta.zip
2.07beta: http://www.mediafire.com/download/f5e39cjw7jftcs9/X5_FW2.07Beta.zip

Please note the following:

1. This is a development beta. Please consider carefully whether you want to upgrade to it. (You can always downgrade back to 2.0)
  2. Problems encountered with this firmware may be posted to this thread--please keep the main X5 thread free from clutter regarding bugs on beta firmware.
  3. To avoid public misunderstanding, please refrain from posting about bugs and imperfections of the beta firmware outside this beta firmware discussion thread.

Main points of improvement of 2.06beta are as follows:

1. Fixed issue where "DTS not supported" was translated as "DSD not supported" in German.
  2. Fixed issue with song ordering in albums such that they are now sorted by track number instead of by filenames. (Including albums subselection of an artist)

Further point of improvement of 2.07beta is as follows:
Corrected ordering of songs retrieved from playlists generated both on the computer and on the X5 such that playback will follow the order listed on the playlist, rather than filename order.

Also, it was rumored from the devs that at some point between 2.03 and now, support for relative pathing of M3U playlists was added. If anyone has the free time and feel like trying again, they may try generating playlists pointing to songs on the TF card from within the TF card (such that they are not EXTM3U playlists and drive letters are excluded from the paths) and see if those now work with the X5. :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 8, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 189
Nope. Still a regression from the way 2.02 worked for Play All by Artist (sad face).

The way 2.02 works is:

Album

01 Song
02 Song
03 Song

Album

01 Song
02 Song
03 Song

The way all beta FW from 2.03 and up including 2.06 work:

01 Song
01 Song
01 Song

02 Song
02 Song
02 Song

03 Song
03 Song
03 Song

I know I keep bringing this up, but I don't understand why Fiio can't just use the same sorting from 2.02 for this subcategory. It really did work perfect.

Jul 8, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 189
Playlist attempt 1 failed using following structure:

Music sorted in folders: ROOT\Music\Artist\Album\Track.xxx
Playlist in separate folder: ROOT\Playlists\playlist.m3u

Playlist consists of entries identical to this: ..\Music\Peter Gabriel\Scratch My Back\- 13 - The Book Of Love (Remix).flac

There are no header or footer comments in the playlist, just references like the above to each track

Next step is to try with the playlists in the root directory of the TF card, but if anyone else has ideas or success I'd be thrilled to know!

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 189
Woke up and see the 2.06beta on my cellphone, have breakfast, got my laptop to download it, 2.07beta is available.
Loading it now

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #5 of 189
Give your guys a pat on the back Joe!
Just fired it up (2.07).  Play lists now work - in the order they are listed 
beerchug.gif

Now if they could just get the playlists we create to appear in the "Playlist" section of the Play By Category - then I'd be very, very happy.

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 189
Already asked this in another thread but...

Will the X5 add support for ExFAT formatted microSD cards?

It works great on the X3 beta firmware :D

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 189
Yes, playlists created from within X5 run in the order saved, well done.  Have not tried lists created on PC but am guessing will be fine.

Now just need all songs by artist to run in the album order rather than all track 1's, all track 2's, etc etc.  As elsewhere this worked in v2.02 so fingerscrossed it won't be long in coming.

Btw, great work on getting these updates out on a very quick basis.  :)

Just one other thing, the option to change the scroll direction would be great, even after weeks of ownership I am still struggling with the default direction.

Jul 8, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #8 of 189
FWIW
For the 1st time I hit trouble when updating to 2.06 and 2.07.
The player would get stange numbers on "play settings" like 7 digit for "max volume" and "fixed volume setting" and "balance".
When playing songs it would play 1sec and freeze. Only reset button would unfreeze.
Trying to go back to 2.05 wouldn't help either.
Finally sorted out, going back to 2.0.

Not a big deal since I use it in album playing mode.
What is the last firmware with SQ improvements? 2.0 or 2.02?

Thank you

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 189
Great, the ordering of songs in the externally created m3u files is perfect.  However I have had no luck creating a non EXTM3U playlist file, when selecting the playlist it reports file not found.

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 189
Update - if #EXTM3U is added to the head of the internally created playlist (without adding/changing any drives/paths) it works fine.

News to me! :eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 8, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #14 of 189
Nope. Still a regression from the way 2.02 worked for Play All by Artist (sad face).

The way 2.02 works is:

Album

01 Song
02 Song
03 Song

Album

01 Song
02 Song
03 Song

The way all beta FW from 2.03 and up including 2.06 work:

01 Song
01 Song
01 Song

02 Song
02 Song
02 Song

03 Song
03 Song
03 Song

I know I keep bringing this up, but I don't understand why Fiio can't just use the same sorting from 2.02 for this subcategory. It really did work perfect.

Hey Relic...I find that if your tagging is done like such "Artist Name>Album Title>Track number>Track Title" that the play all by artist works just fine on 2.05b. It shows and plays like this:

Album 1

01 Song
02 Song
03 Song

Album 2

01 Song 
02 Song
03 Song

Jul 8, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #15 of 189
  Hey Relic...I find that if your tagging is done like such "Artist Name>Album Title>Track number>Track Title" that the play all by artist works just fine on 2.05b. It shows and plays like this:

Album 1

01 Song
02 Song
03 Song

Album 2

01 Song 
02 Song
03 Song

FiiO have solved the order problem in playlists in v2.07b, perhaps they can apply the same fix to the "Play all by Artist" without the need to change tagging..
Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back