Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 27, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #15,707 of 15,897
Does anyone else use a custom kernel? How effective do you find it to be?
And what is the difference between it and a custom ROM like fidlizer? Do I need to include both?
thank u
I am using the custom kernel from https://kernelmods.com/#stable_x5iii_ck

For fidlizer, I don't think it will give you the kind of performance gain as the custom kernel.

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #15,708 of 15,897
Does anyone else use a custom kernel? How effective do you find it to be?
And what is the difference between it and a custom ROM like fidlizer? Do I need to include both?
thank u
from one of the kernel devs:

Fidelizer ROMs have a lot of unworkable stuff under the hood. Unworked ALSA drivers, a lot of broken patches and tweaks, from Xperia smartphones, many settings from cyanogen mod, which are not applicable for X5-3 e.t.c.
You can trust me, because I completely disassembled his ROM and I know what is included in it. Unfortunately, most of these settings only harm the system and reduce the stability of the custom kernel.
We, with jkbuha tried to increase the stability of the kernel on this ROM, but we were not able to bring it to the required level.
In addition, the sound on this ROM is exactly the same as on the stock. I can guarantee it.
Unfortunately, I cannot recommend using it in conjunction with a custom kernel.

Stock Firmware + Custom Kernel is the way to go. And yes, there’s benchmark data (interpret from it what you will) showing better performance on CK across all builds (1416, 1704, & 2016 MHz).

May 22, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #15,710 of 15,897
Hello Fiio and X5iii users,

Can X5 3rd gen install Apple Music and Spotify and access my library? Or do I have to use a custom kernel/ROM for that?
I prefer to use Spotify lite on my X5iii *link* and it runs fine!
Haven't tried Apple Music, but its minimum spec is Android 5.0; our X5iii being 5.1.1, it should run. Dunno how well.
I wouldn't expect custom kernel to be the limiting factor here.
If you have to ask about custom kernel... might as well install it anyways!

Jun 1, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #15,712 of 15,897
Hi, yesterday my X5 stopped to work, factory resetted then done a new installation of google play and now it work but don't swich in pure music mode, does anyone knows why?!??!
I'm going to bet FiiO Music player was updated with Google Play, rather than getting it here. (Choose download for X-Series DAPs)

Jun 2, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #15,716 of 15,897
Is it possible state that Shanling M3X is equivalent to X5-3 ?
I don't own the M3X and I can't comment on sound differences, but I'd have to think that the Shanling would be a huge move up in terms of usability as far as speed and ease of use. I mean we're talking a DAP that is four years more modern and has a favorable rating by almost everyone that owns it. People generally like the sound signature of the X5III but (including me) complain about its slowness and lag at least in its stock firmware. If I was buying a new DAP I would certainly go for the M3X before the X5III.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #15,717 of 15,897
from one of the kernel devs:

Fidelizer ROMs have a lot of unworkable stuff under the hood. Unworked ALSA drivers, a lot of broken patches and tweaks, from Xperia smartphones, many settings from cyanogen mod, which are not applicable for X5-3 e.t.c.
You can trust me, because I completely disassembled his ROM and I know what is included in it. Unfortunately, most of these settings only harm the system and reduce the stability of the custom kernel.
We, with jkbuha tried to increase the stability of the kernel on this ROM, but we were not able to bring it to the required level.
In addition, the sound on this ROM is exactly the same as on the stock. I can guarantee it.
Unfortunately, I cannot recommend using it in conjunction with a custom kernel.

Stock Firmware + Custom Kernel is the way to go. And yes, there’s benchmark data (interpret from it what you will) showing better performance on CK across all builds (1416, 1704, & 2016 MHz).

If that's what he really said in private to his users, that would be disappointing. I'm actually using Advanced ROM with his kernel on my own X5iii device and he used to endorse it enough to spark his interests in making kernelmod project after using my ROM. I work on all cookable DAPs and they all work fine after upgrading from stock. It wouldn't be fair to blame my years of working on all these devices without fail when only one of his X5iii kernel mod have some issues (I tried his variants and picked working one myself too). I also helped him about cooking ROM and kernel back when he first started.

While it's true that Alsa driver didn't work due to requiring specific hardware and port to function, other tweaks are tested and verified to be working for years. I didn't base it on Xperia tweaks or Cyanogenmod but I used to use those phones and ROMs so I didn't remove those as it didn't break stuff from what I tested on stock. The last ROM I sent to him was based on version 1.2.4 and never heard back from him since. You can imagine how out dated the ROM itself and optimizations could be from recent PerfectDynamics 3.0 I released in less than a year ago. Well, I'm really disappointed to hear this since he used to say Fidelizer 1.2.4 and 1.2.5 works fine with his kernel in 2019. :frowning2:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...ac-drivers-and-much-more.906004/post-15336020

Regards,
Keetakawee

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #15,718 of 15,897
If that's what he really said in private to his users, that would be disappointing. I'm actually using Advanced ROM with his kernel on my own X5iii device and he used to endorse it enough to spark his interests in making kernelmod project after using my ROM. I work on all cookable DAPs and they all work fine after upgrading from stock. It wouldn't be fair to blame my years of working on all these devices without fail when only one of his X5iii kernel mod have some issues (I tried his variants and picked working one myself too). I also helped him about cooking ROM and kernel back when he first started.

While it's true that Alsa driver didn't work due to requiring specific hardware and port to function, other tweaks are tested and verified to be working for years. I didn't base it on Xperia tweaks or Cyanogenmod but I used to use those phones and ROMs so I didn't remove those as it didn't break stuff from what I tested on stock. The last ROM I sent to him was based on version 1.2.4 and never heard back from him since. You can imagine how out dated the ROM itself and optimizations could be from recent PerfectDynamics 3.0 I released in less than a year ago. Well, I'm really disappointed to hear this since he used to say Fidelizer 1.2.4 and 1.2.5 works fine with his kernel in 2019. :frowning2:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...ac-drivers-and-much-more.906004/post-15336020

Regards,
Keetakawee
First off,
I wasn't quoting jkbuha >_> so I can't really speak to your relations with him in the development of your ROMs or this custom kernel.

Secondly, getting new users or novices up and running with both custom kernel and Fidelizer ROMs down to a bullet proof method (that wouldn't brick the X5iii temporarily or cause discouraging roadblocks half the time) was just too spotty and unpredictable to recommend them both without highlighting the risks.

I'm sorry to have committed some kind of faux-pas, by sharing someone's private sentiments of your ROMs.

But as they were not jkbuha's opinions, I'd ask that you clear whatever thoughts you may have had on the matter and just move on.

Jun 3, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #15,719 of 15,897
You did say "from one of kernel devs" which may not be exact quote but he did tell you that info in private according to your reference. I also compiled Cynogenmod ROM and mod my own Xperia devices so I didn't expect 'one of kernel devs' to get hands on my Advanced ROM as free version doesn't contain those tweaks and bash my works behind my back that way. I simply keep those for part of tweaks for devices I use. Disassemble my project that sold to hundreds of clients who all find it working effectively without a single refund request is unjustified and I won't stand for your groundless bashing and defamation that cause misunderstanding.

Fiio provides firmware upgrade tool that can flash any state of software device back to factory software state with factory firmware image. I don't think Purist ROM is discouraging when it's simply tuned factory image using Fiio's firmware tool to flash over custom TWRP. That sounds ridiculous to promote tricky custom TWRP package and say Purist ROM using failsafe factory tool provided by Fiio to end user can cause temporary brick. Purist ROM is the safest solution to apply with factory image as failsafe to fix any issue.

Purist ROM 1.2.5 can be flashed safely and they can use TWRP to flash custom kernel on top of it. I also recommended clients using kernelmods with Purist ROM and never hear any about bricking device temporary. If anything it's one of kernel configuration like 1706MHz that refused to work and that's not Purist ROM's fault. Simply use other options that can get both working. You should have apologized instead of making more and more excuse that is not true at all.

I was going to ask jkbuha for permission to use his kernel image for upcoming Fiio X5iii ROM updates that have a few new boot image optimizations. Now this cat is out of the bag and I've asked him for confirmation about your statement. If this is how he really think about my work after he started applying his own tweaks, I guess I can move on from this 'community effort' as you suggested. That also explains why he didn't ask for PerfectDynamics 3.0 update for better sound quality improvements last year.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #15,720 of 15,897

Now I realize it's not jkbuha himself talking about this. I also checked his other posts and he doesn't seem to be that kind of person doing nasty dev talk. However, this statement wonder where he got my ROM to disassemble. If he purchased it from me, please tell him to talk to me directly about his addressed issue.

If he got Advanced ROM to disassembled from jkbuha or others 'illegally', I'd like to remind you that you're quoting the unethical devs with deaf ears and supporting unethical devs is a bad conduct. This is not something I can simply move on when people do piracy and this will bring bad impression to jkbuha and his staff about piracy too. Please clarify if he disassemble free version or is my client to disassemble his purchased ROM legally.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back