Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Dec 13, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #15,482 of 15,897
Well if anyone cares to know even if you can add the high resoultion formats properly viper want work with them because its on 48000k. So it down samples or doesnt work. However I did some more digging into my S7 I found in the ETC folder a stage policy config file and low and behold it was setup for high resolution all the way up to 32bit 192khz. So im not far off my S7 does sound really good I knew it. I can tell how sharp the sound is.

I also looked into the USB dac if you plug in another nicer USB dac to the otg cable it bypasses the DAC already on are device and uses the new DAC but still dont know if the new DAC will upsample the signal or if its not able to. So I wouldnt buy an expensive DAC right away.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #15,483 of 15,897
If anyone could confirm they got viper working that would be great. I failed to fully explain you have to be on stock kernel because the osmosis busybox will not work and the kernel has a script to reinstall it on every reboot.
Step 1 get on stock 1.2.1 you have to extract boot img from 1.2.1 X5-Ota zip or you can reinstall stock and just check TWRP on the Android tool. I didnt think of that sorry.
Then once your rooted and setup with a stock kernel. install busybox stericson pro apk. Let it auto setup you'll see the bar on the top of the screen leave it go until 100 then when it goes away hit install to system/xbin. To make sure stock kernel is on permissive mode the selinux switch app its a new version selinux mod switcher. It'll keep you on permissive on reboot.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17syB12d3NND8Kzssre2LUqhaTtOlRp4D/view?usp=sharing
Stock Kernel so you dont have to reinstall firmware go into twrp hit install image bottom right then find install to boot.

After your rooted on stock with busybox installed then install my config file which is actually everyone's config file into etc/ rename you audio_policy_config to audio_policy_config.bak and it'll stay there for safe keeping just rename it without bak and itll be back to stock.
install viper 2.3.4 apk it will say reinstall driver pick super quality and wait til it ask for super user and grant it then wait til it says reboot.
Have your headset plugged in so itll jump to headset and then I lock it in the settings to headset. Turn on and enjoy.

Dec 13, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #15,484 of 15,897
I have tried to make it a point about that busybox. I still use it on android pie. The XDA one is not the same. Its free but so is the one I said wink wink lol. I have had this argument with tons of people even the free version of the same busybox will not work. Hes the guy that updates busybox source codes then everyone goes and steals his work. They dont think the guy probably isnt making 100 percent of the codes available so he can be the best. Its a stealing game with open source I steal do 1 line of code put my name on it thats open source. Always use the paid apps never free ones they dont work worth crap. I use the same apps every device I own.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #15,485 of 15,897
Another tip is if you get into a hard bootloop it keeps booting to a black screen and you cant get it into twrp. Hook it up to your PC with Adb and engage adb devices wait for daemon to start then adb reboot bootloader and flash stock firmware. I've never had such a hard device to reboot into recovery. Its simple I dont know how it can read adb while bootlooping but it does. Its a life saver. Ive restored that device 100 times since Ive gotten everything cause a bootloop lol.

Dec 13, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #15,486 of 15,897
If you worried about malware and viruses with android 2 things its impossible to install virus or malware without you installing it.
Second thing every app you have installed is malware and a virus. They all steal your personal information. Your ads on your device are custom to you. They also know everything about you. They did it with your permission when you installed the app. There no apps that dont do that for the most part. Thats why google play services is running all day and night. Yes they use your camera to take photos and your mic to record sound test. Again you agreed to it. When you download a free paid app youll want to look at the left hand screen on the install and make sure the app icon is what you want it to be. Sometimes they wont have an icon its blank thats a virus they hid and will pop up and ask for root and out of habit youll hit grant lol. Great news wipe and start over. The second time you hit download link then it gives you the right apk. But that the only way to get a virus windows has exe files that can run without you installing them. Android but it can use the app to go through your information just like facebook does.

Dec 15, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #15,487 of 15,897
If you guys want to stay on the custom kernel and try to install viper you will have trouble with busybox from the kernel reinstalling. So download kernel auditor mod reborn from XDA. Give it root and go down to init.d section on the right and delete the script with 30 in the title. That will stop re-installs and then install the busybox I said into system/xbin and then install viper4android and reboot. If you think you can notice the difference in high res quality through the headphone jack Id would say make a backup try viper and if you dont think its better restore your backup. I have came to the conclusion that I cant hear any difference the high res DAC still works with USB audio player app so I dont notice anything except better sound with viper on 99 percent of the music. USB policy patch didnt work so I cant get viper to play through your pc and DAC but you can just download music to the player. I personally have viper4windows installed. I still would like viper to process through the USB but whatever. If I can figure out how to pull more files off my S7 to get high res to work I will. Thats pushing 24bit I guess according to audioflinger adb but I think that just reads files it doesnt mean thats out putting.

Dec 15, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #15,488 of 15,897
If you want to improve performance the most get rid of everything you dont use. I personally froze google play services and play store and now my device runs like a champ. Because greenify wont freeze the play services so he doesnt get kicked off the play store were he can make money. Greenify 3.86 is way better for older androids before google changed its policy it would hard stop anything you wanted. The good ole days but play services eats all the ram and theres no need for it nothing works on the fiio anyway you cant do youtube or anything but music.

Dec 15, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #15,490 of 15,897
Dec 15, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #15,493 of 15,897
If you do use viper4android you might need to delete 10Sqlite init.d on kernel auditor mod reborn to. I deleted that first and busybox reinstalled then deleted the one with 30 and busybox stayed uninstalled. I always went into system xbin and manually deleted that busybox. Then after rebooting to a clean system X bin then I auto installed my busybox. If you get driver failed on install in viper4android your going to have to start over. I dont why it does this but otherwise you'll have to flash it but that puts more stuff in your system. The viper4.8 sony beats edition is the best but it does add sony and beats audio lib files. But to be honest they dont do anything its another placebo effect. If you use poweramp disable DVC control in the settings Direct volume control otherwise viper wont work either. If you need help contact me Ill help you out. Its better to have the option and not need it then to not have the option.

Dec 16, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #15,494 of 15,897
To all who contribute to the custom kernel and the support on this thread...Just wanna give a huge "Thank you". My X5 was collecting dust in a drawer because I didnt like the experience I was having. Tried the kernel and followed the excellent directions provided here and viola, a new lease on life for the little X5.

Now, the only issue I am having is the Amazon Music HD issue. Fiio apparently fixed it in the M11 firmware they just put out. I was curious about two things. First, Im a bit confused on firmware. I assume the custom kernel is the firmware, therefore I cannot simply update using FIIOs firmware. I would need to continue using updates via the customer kernel. Is this right?

Second, If thats the case, any idea when we might see an update that would fix the Amazon Music HD App? Its the missing component to my X5 relegating my phone to only non music related tasks.

Again, a huge thank you to those contributing here.

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #15,495 of 15,897
To all who contribute to the custom kernel and the support on this thread...Just wanna give a huge "Thank you". My X5 was collecting dust in a drawer because I didnt like the experience I was having. Tried the kernel and followed the excellent directions provided here and viola, a new lease on life for the little X5.

Now, the only issue I am having is the Amazon Music HD issue. Fiio apparently fixed it in the M11 firmware they just put out. I was curious about two things. First, Im a bit confused on firmware. I assume the custom kernel is the firmware, therefore I cannot simply update using FIIOs firmware. I would need to continue using updates via the customer kernel. Is this right?

Second, If thats the case, any idea when we might see an update that would fix the Amazon Music HD App? Its the missing component to my X5 relegating my phone to only non music related tasks.

Again, a huge thank you to those contributing here.

No you can flash stock firmware over TWRP and custom kernel. Thats never a problem. A update not going to happen unless its to make the device slower. Its pastss its 2 years thats why they added all the stupid apps on the firmware and slowed the device down. Companies do this so you think your device is getting less battery life, and slowing down. Then they release a new product lets imagine its the M11 and you think I liked that but maybe its time for a new. I just bought mine and I have it on stock 1.1.2 kernel with stock firmware 1.2.1 which Ill probably flash 1.1.2 today because its running like a beast I clock the kernel to 1400 in kernel auditor and froze google play services removed all app I dont use and install micro g and vanced ad free youtube and I can watch videos on youtube at 480p no problem. Its the best ive had it running. I dont know why my font changed I hit something on my keyboard and now its different. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back