Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 6, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #14,221 of 15,897
@jkbuha gave you a little in USD. I finally got your kernel working today on my X5.

With Fidelizer F1.2.1 and your latest version of the kernel, good improvements on the speed. Hardware is still under-powered when the unit came out, but any improvements I'll take (both firmware and kernel does wonders). I just wish there's a way to not have songs playing from the Second SD Card Slot not to crash when pausing it....

Better directions will be needed for those who aren't used to rooting devices and messing around Command Prompt. It took me an hour to figure everything out. TWRP part is a little weird at first.

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #14,222 of 15,897
/Rant

I am still disappointed with the X5iii's digital output options. The coaxial output down-samples 24/192kHz to 96kHz, and the USB audio output down-samples 24/192 to 48kHz. Digital output should not alter the sampling rate of the file.

C'mon FiiO!!!! I specifically purchased the X5iii as a transport yet the audio output options are worse than the X5 and X5ii. Is there any fix for this? I remember when I first purchased the unit that it didn't down-sample, but there was noise from the coaxial output if the bit rate was around 5000 kbps and higher - most 24/192 ALAC files I own.

/Rant

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #14,223 of 15,897
to my best knowledge, you should be able to recovery the stock ROM even when something had gone wrong when flashing the modded ROM / kernel

That's correct. Worst case - if you muck it all up - you'll be able to restore the original vanilla firmware.

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #14,224 of 15,897
@jkbuha gave you a little in USD. I finally got your kernel working today on my X5.

With Fidelizer F1.2.1 and your latest version of the kernel, good improvements on the speed. Hardware is still under-powered when the unit came out, but any improvements I'll take (both firmware and kernel does wonders). I just wish there's a way to not have songs playing from the Second SD Card Slot not to crash when pausing it....

Better directions will be needed for those who aren't used to rooting devices and messing around Command Prompt. It took me an hour to figure everything out. TWRP part is a little weird at first.

Thanks for the support Uri!
Will be uploading the latest version with simplified instructions in a couple of days

Jan 7, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #14,225 of 15,897
Hi guys - just got back and am preparing the new kernel.
There's quite a lot in there and I'd like to beta-test it first to ensure I've got everything working as I want it.

If anyone would like to beta test this latest version (and know how to use TWRP and a have a preliminary grasp of Windows/MacOS shell commands) then please PM me and I'll give you instructions.

Thanks

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #14,226 of 15,897
Problem w/ latest upgrade to Tidal Android App (V 2.11 that does the 1st unfold Masters playback) using X5III w/ stock FW 1.21.

Now all I get is digital distortion on all types of tracks, master, non-master etc.

Anyone with X5III w/ stock FW 1.21 and the latest Tidal App have this issue?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #14,228 of 15,897
I wish the Fidelizer firmware was in TWRP zip format so we dont need to go through the whole root and install twrp to get kernel installed.
The two are wholly separate? Once twrp is installed via terminal commands (on Mac here) SuperSU (if you're rooting without kingroot) is flashed as well as the kernel.
Fidelizer has its own set of installation instructions on its site, which you of course want to go through prior to SuperSU & kernel.

Jan 8, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #14,231 of 15,897
Problem w/ latest upgrade to Tidal Android App (V 2.11 that does the 1st unfold Masters playback) using X5III w/ stock FW 1.21.

Now all I get is digital distortion on all types of tracks, master, non-master etc.

Anyone with X5III w/ stock FW 1.21 and the latest Tidal App have this issue?

I am having the same problem with Tidal... both MQA and non MQA files will not play on my X5 3rd now without massive distortion. The FiiO music app plays fine. I am running the latest firmware as of today.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #14,232 of 15,897
I am having the same problem with Tidal... both MQA and non MQA files will not play on my X5 3rd now without massive distortion. The FiiO music app plays fine. I am running the latest firmware as of today.

Yeah, I've read a few reviews on the Tidal Android page today on Google play that folks are having the same issue and one of them mentioned FiiO X7.

The descriptors were were, white noise, static, fuzzy, etc. Obviously there's a problem with at least some X7 and X5, although it appears most smart phones and other stock Android aren't having an issue. Again I ponder, is it the low Android OS or other software/hardware commonalities between the X5 and X7 that may be the incompatibility? If Tidal gets enough complaints maybe they'll be able to offer an update that fixes it.

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #14,233 of 15,897
I suspect this is serious enough for Tidal to issue a fix. The OS&chipset combo used by FiiO is quite common, so it's likely to be a cause for another Tidal update pretty soon.

Jan 8, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #14,234 of 15,897
Yeah, I've read a few reviews on the Tidal Android page today on Google play that folks are having the same issue and one of them mentioned FiiO X7.

The descriptors were were, white noise, static, fuzzy, etc. Obviously there's a problem with at least some X7 and X5, although it appears most smart phones and other stock Android aren't having an issue. Again I ponder, is it the low Android OS or other software/hardware commonalities between the X5 and X7 that may be the incompatibility? If Tidal gets enough complaints maybe they'll be able to offer an update that fixes it.

I'm having the issue on a Fiio X7 MK I. Exactly as described above...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back