Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jul 20, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #10,336 of 15,897
Tis my favorite group of all time, i was just entering high school when The Beatles were introduced here in the U.S. Let It Be, and Abbey Road still hold my top spots for my favorite Beatles albums.

First album I ever owned: The White Album (of course the whole Charlie Manson thing puts a bit of a damper on it now)

Greatest album of all time (IMHO): Sgt Peppers

BTW, I entered high school to 'Paul is dead'.

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #10,337 of 15,897
Tis my favorite group of all time, i was just entering high school when The Beatles were introduced here in the U.S. Let It Be, and Abbey Road still hold my top spots for my favorite Beatles albums.

One of the classics.

Dear Prudence

Starts only on right channel for so long you check your headphone jack (it ain't that) ..then it comes in with a nice bass on left. Love the mixing of some of these classic late 60's - late 70's stuff.

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #10,338 of 15,897
A kind soul gave me a Fiio A5 amp as a bonus in a trade.

Enjoying it a lot with my CA Lyra II with FiiO X5III. It still sounds great without the amp.
20170720_193401.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #10,339 of 15,897
A kind soul gave me a Fiio A5 amp as a bonus in a trade.

Enjoying it a lot with my CA Lyra II with FiiO X5III. It still sounds great without the amp.

But the amp does make a difference, right?

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #10,341 of 15,897
Yes. It increases some of dynamics to me. A bit better overall. But only detectable in a quiet home or outdoors. Away from city.

My experience is a bit full body and added dynamism with that blackish background. I really enjoy the pair. And i live out in the country so its different here :)

Jul 21, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #10,343 of 15,897
My experience is a bit full body and added dynamism with that blackish background. I really enjoy the pair. And i live out in the country so its different here :)

Im glad to find it pretty much same way as you do!!

It really does help noise floor of X5III for sure.

I found the same things as you both. The A5 is a very nice compliment to the X5iii. :L3000:

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #10,345 of 15,897
I use mine on its own whilst walking about but when I connect if via coax to my iFi idsd black label it becomes an amazing little beast

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #10,350 of 15,897
How is x5iii in bal output and anyone can chime in.

The specs look funny with 3 impedance and lower mw.

I'm like HBB -- all my headphones & IEMs are balanced.

I can't say that I hear a big difference with the X5iii balanced vs SE. A little more air and better soundstage depth, a little better localization of instruments/voices. Probably no change to tonality. Maybe some improvement in detail, but this is REALLY slight. I've got a SE-to-balanced adapter (FiiO L26) which lets me plug balanced cables into a 3.5 SE jack. Thus I can use the same cable SE or balanced, meaning that (except for any effect introduced by the adapter) I'm performing a apples-to-apples comparison.

I hear more noticeable differences when I listen to the X5 through my AlgoRhythm Duet balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back