Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jun 9, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #9,634 of 15,897
Might pay for both of you to talk about what type of music you are listening to.

I state in my reviews where my normal listening level is (usually 65-75 dB). I'm very careful with my hearing - protecting what I've got left. You can actually learn to do it. Many people simply listen too loud. So lets test. Assumptions:
  • Our Fidue Sirius's are all consistent with their output
  • Our FiiO X5iiis are operating normally
Using FiiO Music, low gain, no DSP, no Viper, and recording real music with a calibrated dB meter, A-weighted:

1. Steely Dan "Gaucho"
    30/120 = 65-75 dB, largest peaks at 81dB
    50/120 = 75-80 dB, largest peaks at 90dB (and to be honest that is way too loud for me)
    At 55/120 you're up another 2.5-3 dB (again, too loud for me personally)

2. Coldplays' Speed of Sound - and 55/120 = consistently above 85 dB - again with peaks into the 90's.

3. But if you are listening to Classical (Julia Fischer - Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto), then 55/120 = 60-75 with dramatic peaks in the late 80's
So it very much depends on what you normally listen to. But if you are listening to anything relatively modern (Pop / Rock / Hip-hop / Metal) - then 55/120 is getting into damaging levels. Over to you guys - but I won't risk it. Like I said, you can train yourself to listen quieter, and the Sirius is perfect for this because of the amount of detail it has.

Last test : Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing" 55/120 - very rarely less than 80dB - most between 70-86dB. Peaks at just over 90dB. I can't listen to it that loud.

FWIW the last Meet I went to, I was the guy turning a lot of the rigs down when I was listening. Heard one guy with an HD800 - had it up so loud, it was like listening to speakers (this was with him wearing them, and me about 10ft away). He was young, and loving it. The pity is that by the time he gets to his 30's he'll probably have permanent hearing loss. I remember afterwards thinking what a waste it was. The HD800 is so detailed, I can't understand why anyone would want to listen that loud.

Different strokes I guess.

Hope above helps
Thanks for clarification. I suppose just the default volume of each music files. I usual listen to 40-60 minutes and stop for 30 minutes. Also to protect hearing.

Jun 9, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #9,636 of 15,897
I can definitely confirm the lag on shuffle all songs on FW 1.1.6

Edit: Sometimes the track changes almost instantaneously but it takes about 2 seconds for the album information and art to change on the main player screen (Fiio Music)

Edit 1: Clicking >> [fwd] plays the same song once again. to skip to next song one has to press fwd twice.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #9,637 of 15,897
@FiiO

FiiO said:
Dear friend,

The firmware version is FW1.1.5, right? Have you turned on the resume mode? Which interface will appear after unlock the screen at that time?

Best regards

@FiiO

I update firmware to 1.1.6 but i have the same issue.

But now i understand the real problem and you can resolve with the next firmware :p

I have got 2 SD card.

From the SD card slot number 1:
i listen a song --> I clic on "pause" button --> if i wait 1 or 2mn (display is now on stanby mode) --> i push "play" button to wake up display and i can listen my song..

From the SD card slot number 2:
i listen a song --> I clic on "pause" button --> if i wait 1 or 2mn (display is now on stanby mode) --> i push "play" button to wake up display. On lock screen my song disapear ....and i must restart my song

If not in use, I am sure that Slot number 2 is unmount AND/OR too slow to mount (after display standby). Resume song is impossible

Can you ask to your engineer to solve this: increase speed to mount Sd card on the slot number 2 ? or not unmount this slot when the DAP is in standby mode (black screen)

in one word : Slot number 2 must have the same behavior as slot number 1

Thank you very much for your help.

I think this might be related to the issue I'm having. I use Poweramp and it keeps on removing the tracks from the second SD card from the library. I can also see the album folders in the folder view, but according to Poweramp, they're empty.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Jun 9, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #9,638 of 15,897

Edit: Sometimes the track changes almost instantaneously but it takes about 2 seconds for the album information and art to change on the main player screen (Fiio Music)

i have no lag on shuffle all songs, but i have the same issue with track infos and art showing a few seconds after the song starts playing. Not a big deal.

Jun 9, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #9,639 of 15,897

Edit 1: Clicking >> [fwd] plays the same song once again. to skip to next song one has to press fwd twice.

i have no lag on shuffle all songs, but i have the same issue with track infos and art showing a few seconds after the song starts playing. Not a big deal.

Dear friends,

Seems I failed to reproduce the issue you mentioned. I will reported to our engineers about that and try to improve it.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 9, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #9,640 of 15,897
@FiiO

I update firmware to 1.1.6 but i have the same issue.

But now i understand the real problem and you can resolve with the next firmware :p

I have got 2 SD card.

From the SD card slot number 1:
i listen a song --> I clic on "pause" button --> if i wait 1 or 2mn (display is now on stanby mode) --> i push "play" button to wake up display and i can listen my song..

From the SD card slot number 2:
i listen a song --> I clic on "pause" button --> if i wait 1 or 2mn (display is now on stanby mode) --> i push "play" button to wake up display. On lock screen my song disapear ....and i must restart my song

If not in use, I am sure that Slot number 2 is unmount AND/OR too slow to mount (after display standby). Resume song is impossible

Can you ask to your engineer to solve this: increase speed to mount Sd card on the slot number 2 ? or not unmount this slot when the DAP is in standby mode (black screen)

in one word : Slot number 2 must have the same behavior as slot number 1

Thank you very much for your help.

Dear friend,

Thank you for your kind feedback. After pushing the play/pause physical button to wake up the display, the interface will become which one? Thank you in advanced!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 9, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #9,641 of 15,897

I haven't found any of these issues. Testing my songs in the All Songs category and skipping forward works exactly as expected. Album art change is also pretty quick and all my art is 500x500.

About 70% of my files are RBCD ALAC or FLAC, some high res 24/192 and 24/96, a couple 256Kbps AAC files, and a few DSD64 and DSD128 files. None of them present any issue with the skip forward or album art change. I think it would be helpful from everyone if the file formats and album art size are noted when pointing out these bugs.

All in all this update seems fine (for me) but I haven't tested any of the digital outputs yet.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #9,642 of 15,897
Wow FiiO, you done it! There is actually sound improvement from 1.1.5! I did a good 30 minutes listening to the same track over and over before updating to 1.1.6 and yes, there is an improvement. Main noticeable improvement to my ear is that, it no longer give me a sense of muddy/congested feel. If this update came out earlier, I probably won't buy an A5 amp. BUT there is still differences between amp and non amp, but it is no longer which one is better in sound quality anymore, but a matter of different sound signature.

Differences between amp and no amp
With Amp: Overall still sound a bit more clearer/cleaner, a bit better layering(not much anymore on 1.1.6), and will give you a better sense of spaciousness. Busy track part, less obvious/noticeable that vocal sounded like getting swarm/slight drop in volume for vocal.
Without Amp: Overall sound thicker and more body. Quite good layering now compared to 1.1.5 as no longer give that grainy congested/muddy feel(Only super tiny bit muddy, like super tiny bit in comparison to with amp. Busy track part, more obvious/noticeable that vocal sounded like getting swarm/slight drop in volume for vocal(More obvious is in comparison with amp but is actually not that bad..

And resuming from paused state not longer give a 1-2 second of silence before sound came out, the speed of controlling music player much better now without lagging(except for hitting previous track button for rewind from stop, will still play abit of track before restarting.)

Sudden sound spike jitter for certain track (not present in other music player) still exist, but not that annoying since it is a half a second spike and only happen to specific track at specific timeline.

Music player will still occasionally crash.

Occasionally resuming track from pause state will suddenly have no sound until application restart still exist.

Overall, I'm glad to hold on this player for the sake of waiting software update. Pretty happy with 1.1.6 update now.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #9,645 of 15,897
Hi guys, wanna ask too.

If I play music via tidal offline. Since it's a 3rd party app. Will the music be as good as let's say i play a file itself via native music player?

The highest quality you will get with Tidal on Android is 16/44.1. This is playing the offline tracks or tracks that I have in my library and play as well (tested via output to Mojo).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back