Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 19, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #7,831 of 15,897
I had another 'problem'.
My X5iii was charged to 100% before Imwent to bed, and 8 hours later when I tried to play my music, it didnt play.
I pressed the on button, and the welcome page is shown, then the power off screen is shown. I thought I might have pressed wrongly.
Then I switched it on again and same thing happen, for about 3 tries.

I decided to try to charged my phone, and after a while, it can be switched on, and the battery is showing 5%, which mean that the battery is flat in the morning.

What causes the battery to be drained out so fast?
Anyone experiencing this?

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #7,832 of 15,897
I have the same album but in DSD 128. Sometimes I get the hiccups and skips like you mentioned previously but its not track or file specific (I think). It's a bit annoying but I can live with it. I have many other 24/192 files on the X5 and they play fine. 

Honestly I'm unsure what the issue you were experiencing was, but perhaps try get a faster/bigger micro sd card? It might help? Also I keep all the high res and super high res files on one sd card. For example, all my 24 bit recordings are on one, 16 bit on another and DSDs on the internal 32gb storage. I don't know if this actually helps, but it also makes searching for specific files a bit easier, for me anyways. I hope that helps.

Yes I realise its not file or track specific. Definitely I cam live with it, but its annoying when I am trying to relax and enjoy the music and there is an interruption.

Also, I have the 200 Gb from Sandisk, so the speed and the capacity is no issue, and I keep all my songs there with the other SD card in the other slot empty.

I will check out the format of my SD card as indicated by Torq.

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #7,833 of 15,897
I had another 'problem'.
My X5iii was charged to 100% before Imwent to bed, and 8 hours later when I tried to play my music, it didnt play.
I pressed the on button, and the welcome page is shown, then the power off screen is shown. I thought I might have pressed wrongly.
Then I switched it on again and same thing happen, for about 3 tries.

I decided to try to charged my phone, and after a while, it can be switched on, and the battery is showing 5%, which mean that the battery is flat in the morning.

What causes the battery to be drained out so fast?
Anyone experiencing this?

This also sometimes happen to me. I leave it off and fully charged to find the next morning the battery has drained...The only thing I can think it might be is that I didn't turn it off 'properly' or somehow it turned it self on again and just played music all night, therefore draining the battery. There is a setting called 'Off timer' for the music app. You can chose when the device stops playing music when on standby. I leave mine on 10 minutes, so after 10 minutes of inactivity the music app turns off and battery usage lessens (or so in theory). 

Whats odd is that the the off timer setting for the music app likes to reset it self every so often. So perhaps its a bug? Any comment @FiiO
Yes I realise its not file or track specific. Definitely I cam live with it, but its annoying when I am trying to relax and enjoy the music and there is an interruption.

Also, I have the 200 Gb from Sandisk, so the speed and the capacity is no issue, and I keep all my songs there with the other SD card in the other slot empty.

200 gb sandisk is also what I'm using. You can always try rebooting when you encounter issues. Is your sd card full? I don't know if this is true, but I think leaving a bit of space free (5gb or so) might help the performance of the card and the read speeds...

With regards to formatting, as many people have said on the thread previously insert the blank card into the X5 before putting any music on it and the X5 formats it naturally. Good luck @Iwanism 

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #7,834 of 15,897
My impression is, that the hickups are not a problem in pure audio mode, that's why I suppose they might be related to some Android background activitiy ... these could also be the reason for a higher battery drain.

I never experienced the battery drainage as described by others. But my X5 is mainly in pure audio mode. 
I switch to Android mode when using Tidal, Spotify or Bubble server and switch back to pure audio mode as soon as I want to listen to locally stored music ... 

The newest Hi-Res audio files I store in the internal music directory. 
On SDcard 1 (Lexar 200GB) I have roughly 195GB MP3 files, On SDcard 2 (128GB SanDisk Ultra) around 50GB Flac files ripped from my CD collection plus 40GB Hi-Res files ...

Still not decided, what microSDcard to by, as soon as the 128GB get's too small  :)

Try to wait until the microSDXC 512GB become available probably sometime early next year. I'm shure, FiiO will do their best to support these ... 

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #7,835 of 15,897

I have my high-res files in the internal memory, therefore it isn't a sdcard issue ... 

As in my case it happens only after starting up X5 and after a few hickups it runs smoothly, I guess, it's an Android issue.
Without WiFi and Bluetooth it seems less critical.

I'll have to do more tests ... however, I have an X5 primarily to listen to music :)

I had issues with HR files playback. It ended up with faulty device exchange. Try to find another one X5 III and play files which are clipping.
Now I have device which working fine.
IN my case it was hardware issue.

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #7,836 of 15,897

I have the same album but in DSD 128. Sometimes I get the hiccups and skips like you mentioned previously but its not track or file specific (I think). It's a bit annoying but I can live with it. I have many other 24/192 files on the X5 and they play fine. 

Honestly I'm unsure what the issue you were experiencing was, but perhaps try get a faster/bigger micro sd card? It might help? Also I keep all the high res and super high res files on one sd card. For example, all my 24 bit recordings are on one, 16 bit on another and DSDs on the internal 32gb storage. I don't know if this actually helps, but it also makes searching for specific files a bit easier, for me anyways. I hope that helps.

I had the same problem. It was caused by hardware malfunction. Ended with device exchange. Now it works flawless.

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #7,837 of 15,897
  This also sometimes happen to me. I leave it off and fully charged to find the next morning the battery has drained...The only thing I can think it might be is that I didn't turn it off 'properly' or somehow it turned it self on again and just played music all night, therefore draining the battery. There is a setting called 'Off timer' for the music app. You can chose when the device stops playing music when on standby. I leave mine on 10 minutes, so after 10 minutes of inactivity the music app turns off and battery usage lessens (or so in theory). 

Whats odd is that the the off timer setting for the music app likes to reset it self every so often. So perhaps its a bug? Any comment @FiiO
200 gb sandisk is also what I'm using. You can always try rebooting when you encounter issues. Is your sd card full? I don't know if this is true, but I think leaving a bit of space free (5gb or so) might help the performance of the card and the read speeds...

With regards to formatting, as many people have said on the thread previously insert the blank card into the X5 before putting any music on it and the X5 formats it naturally. Good luck @Iwanism 

Dear Krisna13,

The off timer would be invalid after turning off the APP. You are required to set the time again when you turn on the FiiO Music again.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 20, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #7,838 of 15,897

You can also look to see if the artwork is to large. I have had some as big as 2400x2400 that were inbedded and they did get a little stupid. After making them smaller it stopped.
I'm running two sandisk 256gb mixed with DSD,192,96 and mix of some others and it work good now.

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #7,839 of 15,897
Initial impression with S8 after 30 minutes.

No background hiss with my sensitive SE846's same as with S7 and the Amp is more powerful. Can just bare max volume with SE846/S7 but only upto 75% with the S8. Normal listening volume for me with S8 ~ 45%.

Intitial listening with Spotify extreme tracks comparing S7 - S8 - X5III.

Makes the S7 sound so flat and lacking life. Sound quality of S8 nearer X5III than the S7. More listening to do with high def but this is sounding excellent on initial feelings.

Grey & black S8

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #7,840 of 15,897
  Here we go:

You can download TWRP (custom recovery) for FiiO X5-III here.
SuperSU package (root) for installing through TWRP is here.

Brief instructions:
- Unzip twrp-2.8.5.0-X5.zip, install drivers (run DriverInstall.exe);
- Power off the X5, connect it to the computer via USB while holding the Previous track button.
- Start AndroidTool.exe, make sure that only  checkbox #2 is checked and LOADER device is found;
(for flashing stock recovery just untick #2 checkbox and choose #3 - recovery_stock.img).
- Press <Run> button, wait till flash operation is completed;
- Go to Advanced function tab and click <ResetDevice> button.
- We're done.

To enter custom recovery:
- Power off the X5;
- Push Previous track button, Play/Pause Button and Power button simultaneously.
- Wait 5 sec, release Power button;
- Wait till logo appears and then release all buttons.

The guide about using TWRP is here.

Enjoy!

If you appreciate my work, you can donate at the website in my sig...
Thank you.

I've been looking for something that speeds up the booting process and after a while i was testing a new configuration:

Now the device needs :
- 32 sec (incl.5-6 sec of holding power button) to load into android mode
- 40 sec to start playing music in Pure music mode (incl 3 sec where i was holding the power button)

here is guide:

navigate to system -> build.prop. Scroll down to the bottom and enter this line:
ro.config.hw_quickpoweron=true

and or if you want to stop displaying of boot animation:

debug.sf.nobootanimation=1

in my test i had both set on.

now my build file contains:

#MODS
#BOOTUP FASTER
ro.config.hw_quickpoweron=true
debug.sf.nobootanimation=1
persist.sys.shutdown.mode=hibernate
ro.config.hw_fast_dormancy=1
# Battery save
pm.sleep_mode=1
ro.ril.disable.power.collapse=0
profiler.force_disable_err_rpt=1
profiler.force_disable_ulog=1
dalvik.vm.checkjni=false
dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit
ro.ril.power_collapse=1
power_supply.wakeup=enable
ro.mot.eri.losalert.delay=1000
ro.config.hw_fast_dormancy=1
ro.config.hw_power_saving=1

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #7,841 of 15,897
My firmware says - X5 V7-20170209

I does not show number like 1.1.0  etc. Also on wifi i see no upgrade that is available.

was this the last one ? or the first one where OTA was not working thus i see no updates?

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #7,842 of 15,897

I does not show number like 1.1.0  etc. Also on wifi i see no upgrade that is available.

was this the last one ? or the first one where OTA was not working thus i see no updates?

newest: x5 v7 20170325 go to fiio.net and download offline package.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #7,844 of 15,897

The Old Fioo Hard case works well ,

Both Fiio x5 n a5 sit in well.  The red is really done well. and stacking kit are bit cumbersome but manageable.
As many mentioned with Meze its brilliant pairing.

Yes A5 with its Bass Boost makes it more fun to hear.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #7,845 of 15,897

Somewhere else on that screen has version or build and it has the 1.14 or whatever it is on. I'm not on that screen but the 1.14 is there. It was a bit confusing for me as well when I first saw it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back